Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

leather care/repair tips FWIW

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2006, 09:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default leather care/repair tips FWIW

Hey All,
Just thought I would pass along a few tips I've gather over the years reguarding leather being a long time european car buff. I just picked up a perforated leather Teknic leather jacket for summer use for a song on ebay. Being used it shows a reasonable amount of wear, bug stains and scuffs. So, I set about to clean it up a little, and the wife suggested using a Mr. Clean Magic Eraser, which is a little sponge available at any grocery store with some unknown 'magic cleaning ingedeint' in it, as it worked so well on all my 4yr. old's mishaps I decided to give it a try. It worked great, removing almost all the scuffs and bug residue on the jacket. There were a few red 'kool aid like' stains on the white leather with it would not touch, so I covered them up with a judicious application of white shoe polish. A few small tears in the surface of the leather were fixed with Crazy glue (also works on fraying seams). On a car seat i would soften up the by applying alot of neatsfoot oil and covering with saran wrap and let it soak in for a few days, but on a protective jacket you don't want it that soft, or the stitching wet (ie comprimised) , so I just buffed it with a little Zymol protectant which is natural, hide food would work good too. Armour All is a no no. I then sniped any loose threads with a small scissor, and the jacket looks pretty much like new. Oh yeah Lysol the lining lightly, don't want anyone else's funk.

Old 01-20-2006, 02:25 AM
Default RE: leather care/repair tips FWIW

Honda Spray Polish works miracles on dirty, disgusting leathers too...

Old 02-13-2006, 11:00 PM
Default RE: leather care/repair tips FWIW

I just used wilsons leather shampoo and spray protector. shined it up real nice. Couldn't get some of the bugs out though.

First i tried the wilson leather cleaner wipes.. they didn't work very well at all.