Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Juggling betwen helmets

Old 01-13-2012, 12:12 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Juggling betwen helmets

It`s time to update my old helmet this spring, but I just can`t decide on what kind of pot to choose...

Currently I have this:

The Airoh PR2000 which I`ve grown quite fond to over the years. My friends used to taunt me about having a "girl/highwaytourer/scooter" helmet that looks ridiculous, but I just cant see what`s so wrong about it when riding a streetbike. The only defects this kind of helmet has IMO is that they are quite heavy, IE that Airoh weighs 1565grams, they tend to be quite noisy, and that one has a pretty round chin guard that throws my head around when driving fast.

I just can`t bring myself to giving up the conveniency of this kind of helmet when putting on/off, getting a scarf to fit good on your face, filling the tank, flipping the lid on really hot weather etc etc...

So, as the next helmet I was kinda thinking about one of these:

The Nolan N90. This one would have those cool and really handy fighter-jet-style "sunglasses" built into it, Double layer silicone sealed visor that will-not-fog, N-com comms ready (has a cavity on the cheek for it) and a reasonable price of 289 euros.

The second option would be a little cooler in looks:

The Airoh Mathisse RS X Triple. Available in wide variety of colors/combinations. Pretty much the same specs as the last one, costing 229euros so it`s a bit cheaper.

I already had my mind set on the Nolan just for the make, but now that I saw that Airoh I`m not at all certain anymore... The Mathisse would go better with my new jacket, but I wondered will I look stupin in all fighter gear on an "F"-bike...

Other suggestions welcome too...

And sorry for the numerous typos on this and other writings by me... My compyter kindly skips a punched letter every now and then. Try to clean them up but can`t always find them all...

Last edited by Mattson; 01-13-2012 at 12:23 PM.
Old 01-13-2012, 12:52 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I've own the Nolan and luv those...it good that you already narrow down to a few of what brand/model you want. Next is bargain hunting...and I'll buy the next oppitunity that presents itself.

Knowing what you want doesn't mean you need to go out and pay retail cost for it?

Getting what you want & a good price is the best feeling.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:06 PM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015

Yeah, I got a good four to whatever months to find a good deal. I`m in no hurry to get it since the Airoh works still fine, it`s just getting a bit old, and basically being a low-end "scooter-helmet" I don`t have that much of trust to it. I showed my wife the options I was pondering and she said: "Lets try to get a deal for two helmets if i`ll get myself one too..."

She hasn`t come near bikes before....? time will tell if that f2 will swap owner or not when I upgrade to a Fireblade...

Old 01-13-2012, 01:49 PM
February 2012 ROTM

Hmm? Kill 2 bird with one stone...it's been done but what are tue chances? How about sizing...thing is I found alot of great deal on eBay...but not in my size. Then I say, let's wait. Waiting for 1 great deal on your helmet will be hard but what are the chances of getting a great deal on 2 helmets in you size & your wife's?

Best bet is to hunt separately. Ladies sizes will often presents great deal since there ain't many buyers as much as men's size large?

I've seen great deal out there, some even your wallet won't feel hurt. I try to avoid used in some cases but really depends on that particular listing.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:53 PM
February 2012 ROTM

Ahhh...yeah...fireblade...I havn't look back since getting my 94'...I have not looked forward either for newer model? Once you find one, most will keep..that's why ain't many left.

Old 01-13-2012, 02:05 PM

At least getting them from a store, there`s not much difference in the prices... There`s not that much dealers in Finland, and to be honest I`ll rather get it from a store a thousand times over than "save" twenty bucks by ordering it from somewhere. I meant getting two helmets and propably pants for me and getting a bargain for all of them. Just for the warranty and such purposes it`s better to have a trustee shop where to buy all your stuff, driving a delivery lorry for four years now I`ve started to get some "under the table-discounts" from some stores, and the same goes to customers here... Many times I have found some tool or other item that I want for a higher price that I know some other place sells it, but calculated that getting there and back would kill the difference and more... I have been screwed over a few times in mail-order (not ebay, but similiar) trades and have become a bit allergic to them. I like shopping at a store, and especially trying out the stuff before buying. I think it`s awkward to go at a store to try on helmets knowing that you wont buy any of them there...

Blades tend to move here, There seems to be a pretty good selection to choose from even at wintertime. I was thinking about an `02 or so...

Last edited by Mattson; 01-13-2012 at 02:09 PM.
Old 01-15-2012, 01:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Go with the Nolan... I have worn one and they are comfortable and hold up well.... have no idea/info about the Airoh....

Old 01-15-2012, 02:14 PM

Propably will. Have to wait till february or so when the shops start to restock. Right now the only thing they have is shelves by the meter... Gotta test them both but that double-layer antifog visor on the Nolan is a very big yes to that direction...

Old 01-18-2012, 11:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a Nolan that I wear when I ride on the back of hubbys Goldwing and I love it, have an intercom system set up in it so we can talk to each other and listen to the radio. Very comfy helmet and good quality.

Old 07-15-2012, 11:16 AM

Finally my budget is showing a helmet-size space, and am propably going shopping tomorrow. The N90 has gotten a new updated version in the meantime, and some stores still have a few ones of the old model, hoping Storm-motor has one my size still left. The new model, plus a spare visor would set me back about 350e which is a slight owwee to my wallet, but if there is no other cheaper options, I`ll propably get one of those... We`ll see tomorrow (or tuesday if it`s pouring too hard, forecast promised rain...)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Juggling betwen helmets