Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Importance of wearing protective jacket

Old 01-05-2012, 09:38 PM
August 2011 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Importance of wearing protective jacket

We had this year's first fatal accident which happened to be a motorcycle one. 27 years old military guy was riding fast in and out of the traffic and mis-calculated how much space he had, clipped a car and went down. He was wearing a helmet. He did not die from head injury; He died from a severe injury to one of his arms.

Last edited by regener8ed; 01-05-2012 at 10:25 PM. Reason: the accident didn't involve a fetus.
Old 01-06-2012, 12:01 AM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Unhappy

Was he not wearing a Jacket with armor? Sad to hear indeed....When riding thru traffic, between cars.... always a fear if the car swerve, driver open door, sticking their arms out with a cigarette & ditto.....so easy to clip & go down. My fear when going down is if other vehicles may run me over....Never thought about an arm injury though. Sad...

Originally Posted by yumoncbr
We had this year's first fatal accident which happened to be a motorcycle one. 27 years old military guy was riding fast in and out of the traffic and mis-calculated how much space he had, clipped a car and went down. He was wearing a helmet. He did not die from head injury; He died from a severe injury to one of his arms.

Old 01-06-2012, 01:55 AM
August 2011 ROTM

He was from TX, originally. I am not+ sure if he was wearing jacket or not. But when I see military guys riding here, I just see them with white long sleeve shirt. Someone commented on TV station web site "That's what happens when you want to speed on a motorcycle. slow down or leave earlier." So insensitive...

Old 01-06-2012, 11:31 AM

Damn, RIP.

I ALWAYS wear full gear year round, period. Yea, I sweat a bunch during our summers here but should I take that fall I will have it to help me.

Old 01-06-2012, 12:19 PM

Another subject that is beat way too much. People die in cars everyday. RIP but accidents happen. Accidents=Unintentional.....

You can beat the subject all day and bring it up but what about Marco Simocelli? He is a GP race with thousands of dollars worth a gear.

Please make this "topic" a sticky MODS!, so instead of starting a new post every time people can just add to it....

Last edited by txsmainevent; 01-06-2012 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've seen so many riders in past weeks (Summer), only safety gear, a helmet & maybe some gloves.
Sure it ain't going stop you braking some bones & chances are your going to end up with a bit of road rash. But it can make a difference between sitting at home & thinking how lucky you are or months in hospital, Ala, Cheech & Chong "Who's a brave motorcycle rider? that's right, time to take off all that tape...."

Old 01-06-2012, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by pacemaker
Ala, Cheech & Chong "Who's a brave motorcycle rider? that's right, time to take off all that tape...."
link?

Old 01-06-2012, 10:43 PM
Track junkie & modaholic

While I was coming back from work I saw a guy with a helmet, jacket and riding boots . . . But no gloves.

Old 01-07-2012, 11:14 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by CJardine
While I was coming back from work I saw a guy with a helmet, jacket and riding boots . . . But no gloves.
i think the hierarchy of gear goes helmet, then gloves, then long pants, then jacket, then boots....

weird when you see a guy with all of the stuff EXCEPT gloves.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Importance of wearing protective jacket