Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

How snug should a jacket fit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 06:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How snug should a jacket fit?

How snug or tight should a jacket fit? I know it shouldn't be loose fitting, as the padding / protectors need to stay in place in the event of a crash, but how do you know that a jacket fits correctly?

I tried on a new leather jacket and (aside from being stiff), it felt fairly snug and somewhat limiting in arm movement, etc. Is this how it should feel? Keep in mind, this is the first true riding jacket I tried on, so I am not used to the feeling.

Thanks for your help!
Dan

Old 05-08-2008, 07:53 PM
Default RE: How snug should a jacket fit?

I say it kinda depends on what style jacket you tried on...sporty, or a more relaxed cruiser-ish. A good sporty, armored leather jacket mimics the full race suit in fit--so yeah, not a lot of extra movement, but that's what you want--snug, with room to stretch your arms out all the way in front of you. And you should have enough space in the waist to fit the thickness of gloved fingers, and tug the hem like a couple or three inches off your hip. That's a groovy cherry to break, puttin' on your first leather...

Old 05-08-2008, 08:09 PM

It was a Joe Rocket Blaster 3.0, so that makes sense why it fit snug all around. In the riding position, the jacket felt pretty good. I was thinking it should be fairly snug.

It did feel pretty cool

Old 05-08-2008, 08:32 PM

it should fit snug. as you stated if it is loose it will slide up your back during a crash. Most sportbike designed jackets are made to fit the best in the riding position so if it fits good when your on your bike then you should be all set.

Old 05-08-2008, 08:51 PM

The only area that felt a little TOO snug was the arms, in the lower bicep area, and that was only when bending my arms all theway up (I have average size arms, btw). In the riding position, it felt much better.

I'm guessing it will also break in a bit over time...