Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

How many miles on your helmet?

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 10:54 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many miles on your helmet?

Have 7k on the current lid.
Think i had 10k on my first.

So how long do you keep yours? Anyone else think mileage is a better measurement than time?... short of 5 years.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:15 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

7 years and 100000 K's so far..........
I'm not planning to bin it any time soon.
(An Arai costs over $1000 US here)

Old 10-09-2012, 11:16 PM

i got thirty-two thousand on my fulmer lid.

Old 10-09-2012, 11:44 PM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had about 147,000 on my last RF-1000 in a little under 5 years before it was just wore out. Then Scorpion EXO-1000 about 40k or so before it started to fall apart pretty bad, and now an RF-1100 prob about 30k so far and it's like new. Had a couple other helmets when I first started riding but don't remember how long I had them

Old 10-10-2012, 12:19 AM

3,035 on my current Shoei, time is a better measurement because they should be replaced after 5 years when the foam and other materials that keep your head safe degrade.

Old 10-10-2012, 12:31 AM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tucsondude
Have 7k on the current lid.
Think i had 10k on my first.

So how long do you keep yours? Anyone else think mileage is a better measurement than time?... short of 5 years.
DEf a good thought to ponder...
my personal belief is to upgrade at least a new one every two years.. obviously styles change, but my motovation is wearing out the cushions in helmet itself which is part of the safety of the helmet.. at least thats how i feel about it.. i've have my share of accidents over the last 24 years of riding and in one particular accident i was wearing a $500 dollar shoei helmet "brand new" and this is like twenty years ago.. damm im getting old..
anyway to the point... i broke a lot bones that night.. i ping ponged off of ten cars and if you saw the helmet after, you would have thought my head got ript in half.. the worst damage i've ever seen to this day on a helmet.. and because of that helmet not one scratch on my head...
and i happen to like my head... well other than that i really have no strong feelings about it...lol
and i was gonna for the short answer... i get pretty passionate when it comes to gear..and obviously for good reason...
putting my head in some used up old helmet just isnt safe..thats the bottom line...
good thread.. make people think about it... before the go spend 300 on paint or something./..

Old 10-10-2012, 09:45 PM
MZ5

Only have ~10k miles on mine. It's a bit more than a year old. I commute a lot on my bike, but sometimes it's just too bloody hot. If not for that kind of thing, I'd have double that many miles.

Anyway, I'll replace my helmet based on time (or damage, obviously). I was getting nervous that Arai was going to phase out the helmet shape I desperately need, but I see they've kept it. Whew!

Old 10-11-2012, 03:52 PM
Official Krazy Member

My new Gmax has just a few hundred on it, but it's a bit over 8 lbs so that thing has GOT to go. That can be my spare later, but as soon as I can afford it, I'm getting a lightweight lid. Anyone use the HJC RPS-10? Trying to decide on that or the Shoei RF-1100. I had to buy all new gear all at once because I didn't have anything left. Even if I had, though, I am 25 lbs heavier now so I'd still be in the same boat lol. The RF-1100 is almost double the price, so it will be longer before I have the cash to buy it. Kinda hoping the RPS-10 is a good value. It feels great on my head but I've never had the opportunity to test drive it.

Old 10-11-2012, 04:09 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by krazymonkeys
My new Gmax has just a few hundred on it, but it's a bit over 8 lbs so that thing has GOT to go. That can be my spare later, but as soon as I can afford it, I'm getting a lightweight lid. Anyone use the HJC RPS-10? Trying to decide on that or the Shoei RF-1100. I had to buy all new gear all at once because I didn't have anything left. Even if I had, though, I am 25 lbs heavier now so I'd still be in the same boat lol. The RF-1100 is almost double the price, so it will be longer before I have the cash to buy it. Kinda hoping the RPS-10 is a good value. It feels great on my head but I've never had the opportunity to test drive it.
i would def check all your local dealerships, they're all doing end of the season sales.. last week i picked up like 90 dollar "winter gloves" for like 40bucks.. i tottallly scored them.. and go figure they're meant for winter.. you would think they wouldnt be on sale till next spring..but when they want to move stuff, they have no choice and i asked if i could get an extra ten percent off because i always buy there, so that took care of the sales tax...
when you go in ,i would be vague as to be not really sure if your in the mood for buying or not, it helps getting best deal sometimes... a lot of these places arnt like a department store with set prices, if happen to be one of a half dozen people in that day, you might get lucky.. i know i have...
jay

Old 10-11-2012, 05:02 PM
Muppet of the month August 2012 ROTM

Helmets have a shelf life and should be replaced after five years like stated earlier.

They may be expensive and that may seem crazy but once that material starts breaking down you are no longer safe

Quick Reply: How many miles on your helmet?