Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

how do i clean my jacket

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2006, 02:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how do i clean my jacket

how do i clean my textile jacket. its a joe rocket meteor 5.0 and i only had it for 3 months but its filthy. how do i clean it, it says do not wash and do not dry clean.

Old 09-06-2006, 04:54 PM
Default RE: how do i clean my jacket

Couple of different methods you can use.....

This method I learned from my friend/MSF Rider Coach:

First, take ALL of the armour out of your jacket (it will be a PITA to put back in, but it's imperative you take it out prior to washing). Hang jacket on a sturdy hanger outside (on a porch, etc...). Get a water bottle, and mix a mild solution of laundry detergent and water. Spray the jacket with it, concentrating on the filthiest areas. If you have a soft bristle brush, allow the detergent to soak in for a bit, then scrub GENTLY at the dirty areas. Then, using a high pressure/direct nozzle on the garden hose, rinse the jacket. And keep rinsing... you really, really want to make sure all of the soap is removed (cus if it's not, it'll irritate your skin next time you wear your jacket). Then bring the jacket inside, and hang dry for a couple days (keep away from heat or direct sunlight, as that could shrink it).

Once jacket is dry, carefully replace all armour. It might take a little adjusting to get it all back to normal/feeling right.

Or....

We've done this:

Again, remove armour. Machine wash, using mild detergent (Woolite would work well) on a COLD, GENTLE cycle. Once washed, run it through another rinse cycle on COLD. Again, hang to dry.

Good luck!

Old 09-06-2006, 05:43 PM

okay wow thanks i didnt even know the sholder pad armor came out. if i wash it in the washing machine will i lose the water proofing? thanks

Old 09-06-2006, 07:40 PM

I have an ICON TIMAX Mesh jacket (version 1) with the Titanium Plates..
Do you think the same process will work on it?