Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

HJC AC-12

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 10:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HJC AC-12

i just bought the ac-12 carbon fiber helmet brand new for just over 300 w/ tax. this helmet is so light i fell in love the first time i picked it up.. anyway just glad my helmet search is over.. need to find a jacket now.

Old 03-16-2007, 01:33 AM
Default RE: HJC AC-12

What helmet did you have before? I was looking at that, but honestly, the specs show them so much in between, I didn't think to upgrade... I have the CL-SP I think, first helmet ~150$ . What did you really notice about it being better? I mean, my helmet seems fine, fogging was a problem, but i bought an insert which fixed that... have you ever had the Shoei or Arai? What about ventilation? Looking to get one for a late birthday, just about the right price... where did you get it for 300 if you don't mind me asking. It's between a new helmet and parts for summer...

Thanks

Old 03-16-2007, 06:55 PM

this is the first helmet i bought.. i was borrowing my buddies shoei that he got with his bike.. i dunno the model of the shoei i used but he said it was 600 when ho got it a few years ago. i noticed it is definatly lighter than anythin else i looked at you can pretty much just feel padding on your head when its on. ventilation is good on it, i like the style of the front vent its not a slide open/slide shut style like most, you push on it and it folds down to let air in and is very effective. i got it at www.windmillcycles.com i dunno if they are giving that sale price online cuz i bought it in the store but everything they have jackets, helmets is all 20% off

Old 03-17-2007, 04:45 AM

ORIGINAL: Ocelaris

What helmet did you have before? I was looking at that, but honestly, the specs show them so much in between, I didn't think to upgrade... I have the CL-SP I think, first helmet ~150$ . What did you really notice about it being better? I mean, my helmet seems fine, fogging was a problem, but i bought an insert which fixed that... have you ever had the Shoei or Arai? What about ventilation? Looking to get one for a late birthday, just about the right price... where did you get it for 300 if you don't mind me asking. It's between a new helmet and parts for summer...

Thanks
Whats the insert? I just replaced my CL14 for a AC12 and the damn things still fogs up. I have a clear and a smoke shield

Old 03-18-2007, 03:41 PM

It's an Anti Fogging Insert, piece of plastic that goes on the inside. I bought the "Fog City" insert from a local dealership, they might have another name. But it works fantastic, just be gentle as it scratches fairly easy, soap and water + soft cloth is the best cleaning solution I've found for the shield.

Old 03-18-2007, 09:43 PM

I too also just bought a ac-12 Carbon Helmet. The Stars / Stripes one. It is my 1st Helmet as well. I got a good deal on it from a local dealer 267 out the door. The only thing i dislike about it, is when cruising around 90-110+ Range the helmet seems to want to lift off my head. Nothing to badjust causes a slight discomfort.I hear this liftingis normal for mid price range helmets though. Im considering a Arai or a shoei Helmet next. And making this my passenger Helmet.

Old 03-19-2007, 01:28 AM

is it the proper size? and do you tighten the chin strap enough?

Old 03-19-2007, 01:42 AM

Well, I can't say that I normally go 90-110, but I have the CL-SP, which is a lower end model, and it's never felt like it was going to come off. I think some helmets fit better than others for different people. It's all personal preference, what feels best on your head to one person isn't comfortable to another. But I wear a XXL, and it's snug...

I wouldn't say the top of the line HJC model is a "mid range" model though, Just because Shoei and Arai are 10x as expensive, doesn't necessarily make them 10x as good... There's alot of hype in this hobby... from my experience with my friend's helmets, I don't think I could justify the cost.

Old 03-19-2007, 12:35 PM

yea the size is correct the chin strap is tight. Its not like the helmet is loose or going to fall off. I can just feel the wind drag on the helmet pushing down on the back half of it thus causing the front trying to lift slightly. At any speeds under the 90 range their is no helmet moving. Just when I am tucked downon theinterstate.I hear the helmets with the winghelp some whatt.

Old 03-20-2007, 03:16 AM

Just bought a AC-12 off ebay myself....the Diablo model

I have a CL-15 Orbit already, but I'm hoping the AC-12 will be a little nicer