Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Good, quality leathers?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2006, 08:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Good, quality leathers?

Hey all, I was just wondering what kind of full leathers y'all might recommend. I have a chance to get a First Gear leather suit for only $279.00. As I have searched around for a while, this seems to be a really good deal. I don't know about the quality of the leathers, however upon inspection of the seams and thickness of the leather, they seem to be well put together. They have a speed hump behind the neck line which I really like and shoulder vents and they are perforated. I know they won't be Spidi or AlpineStars quality, but I honestly can't afford to throw down a quick grand or two for a full suit, even if it is my sweet, precious hide it would be saving. I go up to the Mountains (Deal's Gap, Cherohola (sp?) Skyway, Blueridge Parkway) alot and I'm leaning more and more every time and I just don't feel safe in blue jeans and a leather jacket anymore. Any advice on the matter is greatly appreciated, especially if you have any experience with First Gear products. As for boots, I'm prob. going with something from Sidi.

Thanks!

Old 08-08-2006, 01:04 AM
Default RE: Good, quality leathers?

I'm in the safe boat when it comes down to spending full leather money. I hear 1st Gear is not bad. It's better than plane 'o jeans. There's always Dragon Jeans or just a pair of leather pants that zip up to your leather jacket.

I'm headed up to Deals Gap on the 16th for my 1st time. Could you give me some insight, recommendations, advice on different roads, Riding the Dragon, food, etc? Thanks in advance! ~M

Also, check out Teknic Chicane Two Piece Suit

Old 08-09-2006, 04:47 AM

You'll have a blast. When you get to Deal's Gap, there will be a shop/gas station on the right hand side. They also have a place to eat there and they have pretty good hamburgers. Also, there's a road the goes to the right just before you get to that store. I believe it's Hwy. 28. It is also a very fun road. The Cherohala Skyway is nice, but its about an hour or so to the east of Deal's Gap. Also, in North Georgia, there's the Blue Ridge Parkway. It's a national park road, so the speeding tickets are increased, but the roads are super fun. Have fun and be safe as possible!

Old 08-09-2006, 05:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First gear?, is that hien gereke's second brand??? Try new enough leather. com. They sell first gear, maybe who makes 'em is in product info. I think there good gear. New enough, has a couple of teknic suits on sale now under "best buys" I have a tek. chicane 1pc. and it seams ok. but nothing like my kobe x-pro...1.7 mm. I would rather buy a really good used suit, than a new really cheap suit. I think the first gear, if not gereke, is anothers name brand's second line. A good buy at those prices... go for it !!!!!!!
Clean and free, ripp'n

Old 08-09-2006, 11:35 AM

For 279$ what the heck! That's a good deal, not the finest quality suit, but it'll do until you can get a better suit...It sure would be nice if you were buying that suit to go to the track rather than aggressive riding on public roads, but it's your body...a suit isn't going to protect you against the grill of a soccer mom's mini van or breaking your back on a guard rail...don't get that Teknic suit...they're known for busting seams during a fall.

PS. the "speed hump" isn't a speed hump and never has been, it's a protective piece of foam that fills in the gap between your helmet and upper back in case you fly off the bike and land on your back...do a little experiment and put on your helmet, lay on the ground...fell the space between your shoulders and helmet?

Are you sure that First Gear deal is a one piece suit...I don't remember them having a one piece?

Old 08-09-2006, 12:11 PM

zerochickenstrips - Thanks for the info on the Gap! Can't wait! I noticed some mixed opinions with Teknic suits. I guess...to each their own. Rather a 'okay' suit, then no suit at all.

Old 08-10-2006, 02:24 AM

Yeah I'm sure its a one-piece. We're selling 'em at my dealership and I've been looking at 'em for a while now. And I will also be planning on doing some track days before too long.

Old 08-10-2006, 03:36 AM

i think a 1 piece is the way to go if buying leathers, when on the bike its more comfortable than a 2 piece i find

Old 08-10-2006, 03:57 AM

ORIGINAL: zerochickenstrips

Yeah I'm sure its a one-piece. We're selling 'em at my dealership and I've been looking at 'em for a while now
And you're positive it's a First Gear suit, not a Fieldsheer?

Old 08-10-2006, 11:53 PM

Absolutely positive. In fact, I just looked at 'em today again at work. Man I want some...friggin' budget!