Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

gear for summer...help

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2006, 04:06 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default gear for summer...help

hey guys...i already tried searching for topics about this, couldnt find any...so here goes:

what would you guys recommend for summer gear for me,i live in CT, and got my bike in sept, so i havent experienced the heat of the summer yet...for those not in the area...it usually gets, at the hottest, 90 with 100% humidity...but most of the summer is mid 70s to 80s w/ 90+% humidity...and i want to find some gear i can wear over my tshirt and shorts so that i can b protected while riding but still b comfy and cool while hanging out/working...the stuff i have now is nice for fall/spring/winter...as it has removable linings and such...but it was a little hot even in sept...so im looking for something even cooler to wear this summer...i was looking at those "jackets" that r basically mesh with shoulder and back pads...i dont know how i feel about those, what do u think? and what other gear would u guys reccomend? thanks

Old 12-22-2006, 05:13 AM
Default RE: gear for summer...help

Hey man, I am in Fairfield County in CT. Yea it gets hot and as bad as it is, I usually ride with Jeans and a tshirt on those hot days plus my helmet of course (yea a little squidish, but its soo damn hot). Yea the mesh jackets are there and the foam pads are ok. I have a First Gear mesh/textile with the foam pads and it is ok, but I have heard of accidents where the foam actually melts and adheres to the skin. Ewwww. All the time I ride with the helmet, gloves, jeans and 9" boots which i use for my job. I plan on buying a leather jacket come spring time, but on those real hot days, it will be my bike and me and a tshirt. Gimme a shout if u ever plan a ride down here. Peace

Old 12-22-2006, 01:34 PM

I ride with a nice perforated leather jacked that keeps me fairly cool durring those hot summer days. If its really hot I wear my textile jacket which is lighter and breathes better than the leather but is definately in my opinion better protection than the mesh jackets. Mesh is going to be the coolest for riding in the heat but i'd rather suffer alittle bit for far better protection.

Old 12-22-2006, 03:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Perforated leather is the way to go. Mesh isbetter than skin, but it still leaves you pretty vulnerable. Even non-perforated leather or textile can be OK if it has enough vents, and you're not sitting still too much.

Old 12-22-2006, 04:10 PM

ORIGINAL: Glocker23

Gimme a shout if u ever plan a ride down here. Peace
i will deff let u kno if i plan on riding in the area, same goes the other way man!

thanks guys, keep the ideas coming!

Old 12-23-2006, 04:38 PM

I am in Maryland and temp wise sound aboiut the same as here. I bought a Joe Rocket texttile jacket with leather for the shoulders. It has a removeable liner which makes it great for fall and winter.

Today was about 60 and I decided to go for a ride with the liner removed and it was pretty chilly. The jacket breathes very good as long as you are moving...

Old 01-12-2007, 04:36 AM

yea thats my big concern now that im looking for a jacket cause i live in arizona and its like 115 in the summer and always above 95 pretty much in the summer, so i think im just kinda out of luck ill just probably wear leather with vents and suffer but atleast if i take a fall ill still have skin left

Old 01-12-2007, 01:05 PM
BB

ORIGINAL: BadAzF4i

yea thats my big concern now that im looking for a jacket cause i live in arizona and its like 115 in the summer and always above 95 pretty much in the summer, so i think im just kinda out of luck ill just probably wear leather with vents and suffer but atleast if i take a fall ill still have skin left
+1 At least your climate isdrier than here in Florida. From about April to September, I only ride first thing in the morning. I use an Icon Merc jacket and it's still hot in the summer.