CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Riding Gear (https://cbrforum.com/forum/riding-gear-31/)
-   -   Is gear necessary??? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/riding-gear-31/gear-necessary-158201/)

Brianbui23 09-13-2018 04:58 PM

Is gear necessary???

I have a full helmet, a nice jacket and some decent gloves. Do I really need pants and boots/shoes to ride around town and commute? I don't plan on going to the track anytime soon. I wanted to hear people's view points about riding gear. It's so expensive for the average person but then again you're buying longevity.
Also while you're reading this, how do you guys keep your neck and face warm when the riding season gets colder? (I live in buffalo NY

74demon 09-13-2018 05:52 PM

Gear will protect you. A crash is a crash no matter where you ride. I would make the argument that commuting around cars with road hazards is more dangerous than being at a track in controlled conditions. Consider your gear as part of the bike.

Wear all the gear you can, all the time, no matter what. Get the best stuff you can, preferably leather. Jeans suck when they hit the pavement and grind into your wounds. As for boots, get them. Watch some videos of bike crashes and you will see that tennis shoes are the first thing to fly off and broken ankles. Besides, your shift lever will trash the tops of your Nikes very quickly.

I wear a ski mask under my helmet and long underwear when in gets cold. When it's too cold for that, I take the car and do bike maintenance until it warms up.

tentacleslap 09-14-2018 12:50 AM

Office pants with poly blends will melt into your leg making a super fun mix of road rash and embedded melted plastic. My younger sibling learned that, and he was doing everything right up til the moment a pedestrian jumped the crosswalk while he was mid-turn. He walked away but somewhat worse for wear

Personally if I'm commuting on the cruiser I do helmet, kevlar lined jeans (Resurgence - they were not expensive but they are great), Alpinestars riding sneakers and a heavy leather vest with a cotton hoodie and no-name gloves. For the highway or the sportbike I'll go up a level to the jacket and boots. Wear em like you might need 'em someday imo

I will say that if money's a concern, there's no real reason why you need to be wearing a full dainese race-replica. There's some great entry-level brands out there, especially some of the smaller manufacturers which seem to have exploded lately. Shop around and find something that works for you

Hawkwind2016 09-14-2018 06:21 AM

Quality used gear is cheap.

Many riders change their gear after one season, or when their gear no longer matches the colour of their bike.

Most of my gear has been used stuff off e-bay. Almost brand new, looked as though it had never been worn, but only a quarter of the new price.

Is it necessary? Two very true sayings.

1. It's better to sweat than bleed.

2. It's better to walk away in disgust, than ride away in an ambulance.

Misti 09-14-2018 12:07 PM

Originally Posted by 74demon (Post 1317416)
Gear will protect you. A crash is a crash no matter where you ride. I would make the argument that commuting around cars with road hazards is more dangerous than being at a track in controlled conditions. Consider your gear as part of the bike.

Wear all the gear you can, all the time, no matter what. Get the best stuff you can, preferably leather. Jeans suck when they hit the pavement and grind into your wounds. As for boots, get them. Watch some videos of bike crashes and you will see that tennis shoes are the first thing to fly off and broken ankles. Besides, your shift lever will trash the tops of your Nikes very quickly.

I wear a ski mask under my helmet and long underwear when in gets cold. When it's too cold for that, I take the car and do bike maintenance until it warms up.

Exactly. Gear may sound expensive until it saves your life. ATGATT- All the gear, all the time. Get good stuff, buy used if you need to save some money and wear it. Also consider putting some time and effort and money into riding schools to improve your riding skills to further reduce your chances of crashing. I coach at the California Superbike School so feel free to ask me any questions about techniques covered etc. Make sure your helmet fits properly as well, most people wear helmets that are too big.

Ride safe!!

boredandstroked 09-14-2018 07:21 PM

I wear a helmet. Anything else is for comfort. Gloves cause in the summer I can't touch the bike without them and now I'm used to them so all the time. I wear parachute/nylon pants over my shorts in the summer to keep the fairing heat from frying my calf muscles. Boots are more comfy on long trips but thats only when I'm riding all day not going anywhere or at the track. Jacket is for when its cold. Pants are only if its cold enough otherwise those nylon easy on/off pants over the shorts.
Everyone has a different view. If you don't want to spend the money on gear then don't. But don't be "that guy" that then posts on here about how they wished they had because now after the crash there are 3 man sized female nurses scrubing your open wound road rash with stiff bristle brushes and it hurts.

wes 17 09-15-2018 02:59 PM

I actually had time to appreciate the fact that I had good boots on as I took a long slide down the tarmac with my ankle trapped between bike and road. I still remember subconsciously thanking my boot during the slide.
Not done on a track but despatch riding in London.

hamlin6 09-15-2018 04:14 PM

I sport a 38 year old scar on the back of my left hand because I wasn't wearing gloves my SL100 chain decided break and wrap up my rear tire leaving me to slide down the road.

Matt Harvey 09-29-2018 05:53 PM

Full leathers, boots & gloves all year round for me..... when it's real hot I wear just my boxers under my leathers & nothing else.... A tube scarf round my neck tucked in jacket & helmet in the winter... (treat your leathers regularly & they will be pretty much water proof) I spent out on good quality unbranded separate jacket & trousers 25yrs ago when I had my 1st big bike & still wearing them to this day.... ( a couple of scuffs now after 1 or 2 minor incidents) , just changed my gloves, boots & helmet a few times over the years as needed.

For your thoughts " A friend of mine used to do a short commute to work everyday & didn't wear proper boots.... someone hit him, his chain snapped and sliced his leg of just above his ankle....... A long operation and recovery after for the sake of £70 / £80 for a decent pair of boots...!! "

My nephew just has a 125cc for commute & I made sure he was kitted properly even on that before he went on the road...

If you like your skin, wear the gear....!!!

Andries 10-03-2018 11:54 AM

This will maybe help you decide
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/cbrforu...5d913a21a0.jpg