Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Leathers questions ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2021, 04:23 PM
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Leathers questions ?

Hi Guys I can hold my own on mechanical things but I have some newbie ( to leatherwear ) questions ? before the wise cracks start no it's not bedroom leatherwear lol.
I have always had cordura two piece suits with removable plastic type internal armor probably for cost reasons and the fact I would be able to stand up if I had a fall due to the careful speeds I ride at but with my cbr600fk nearing completion and going to replace my Honda Deauville on the road shortly I have decided to buy some used two piece leathers.
So, try not to laugh, I don't know whether your supposed to buy them skin tight and not wear anything underneath or to buy them loose to accommodate a full set of clothes underneath.
The sizing seems confusing too I'm 5ft 10 1/2" 42 chest and normally 32 waist however lockdown sees me nearer a 34 now and 31 inside leg so what size should I go for?
Ps. don't set me up I don't want to have to explain to the paramedics why I'm naked if I take a dive if it's not the done thing lol.

Old 05-21-2021, 07:52 AM
Welcome crew
Received 315 Likes on 293 Posts

Good luck with that!!!
I have not worn leathers since I out grew my JTS set back in the day, I find textile much more comfortable and breathable.
That said I got mine a little bigger to accommodate some form of base layer underneath as they stick like buggery (lets not go into sweaty bodies and leather)
You really need to go into a shop and try some to see what sizes fit your body as all sizing is not equal, you will then get an idea what to look for

Old 05-21-2021, 08:11 AM

Thanks for responding to my question, as I can only afford second hand leathers I wouldn't waste a shopkeepers time trying on stuff just to say thanks and walk off with more advice and knowledge without buying anything so I just need to look around a bit cheers anyway AL.

Old 05-22-2021, 05:47 AM

Well I've bought a set of AXO leathers used once like new should be my size all measurements given by seller sound perfect so I took the plunge, still unsure what to wear under them little response to that question, cheers Alan.

Old 05-22-2021, 05:52 AM
Welcome crew

Good to hear, hope they fit fine.
Depending upon the weather either thermal or heat out base layers. Long John type thermals if it is cold or sweat wicking base layer if it is warm. Lidl or Aldi sell some good Crivit base layer kit.
Cheers
Al

Old 05-22-2021, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Al1040
Good to hear, hope they fit fine.
Depending upon the weather either thermal or heat out base layers. Long John type thermals if it is cold or sweat wicking base layer if it is warm. Lidl or Aldi sell some good Crivit base layer kit.
Cheers
Al
Great thanks for reply I thought everyone was ignoring my question after all most must wear leathers to give advice or maybe it is a YOU answer first question so those that wear their wifes underwear underneath don't feel embarrassed lol I hear You cry.

Old 05-22-2021, 07:12 AM
Welcome crew

yeah, the wife's stockings tend to nip a bit

Old 05-22-2021, 07:53 AM
Welcome crew
Received 209 Likes on 188 Posts

You definitely want to wear a base layer! Preferably long sleeve shirt and leggings because any part that is bare WILL stick, although a two piece is probably (no experience on my end) a lot easier to get out of than a onesie!

As for "fit", you want a happy medium between elephant skin loose and bondage/SM tight. It should feel just slightly snug and will loosen up a bit as you break it in...

The following users liked this post:
Al1040 (05-22-2021)
Old 10-03-2021, 03:18 PM

Just as a response to the helpful replies I did buy some Oxford base layers top and bottom to wear under my newly purchased leathers and they worked great cool and dry in the warm weather but now things are cooler I am wearing normal clothing underneath although I wont be out as much now so thanks for advice it was helpful. cheers AL

The following users liked this post:
Doc Samson (10-03-2021)
Old 10-05-2021, 08:42 AM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I wear under armour compression top and bottoms under my leathers. Makes is a lot easier to get in and out. Without it, I don't think I would be able to undress myself

Quick Reply: Leathers questions ?