Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Favorite Jacket/Shoes/Gloves?

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 01:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Favorite Jacket/Shoes/Gloves?

Wasn't sure where to put this guys, sorry if this is the wrong spot

But before I go out and buy this stuff, I wanted to know your opinions...

What is your favorite shoes/shoe style, gloves, and jacket/vest for riding? I live in hot humid south Alabama, so keep the heat in mind :P

Old 05-30-2010, 04:34 PM

alpinestars has great boots and teknic has great jackets for a very affordable price.

Old 05-30-2010, 05:24 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The riding gear section is one that's a little hard to find...

Old 05-30-2010, 05:34 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What's your gear budget? Start with how much you can spend on gear, then divvy up that amount between the pieces by importance. Budget greatly affect what someone's favorite is.

Mine is Dainese and it's expensive. But I have a loving girlfriend who wants me to stay cute so she bought most of it

Old 05-30-2010, 11:14 PM

Well, I have a helmet, but I may have to buy another depending on the bikes color...

I want a riding jacket/vest for the hot humid alabama area... i would LOVe to have one that says Honda on it... And would like it to match the bike...

As for shoes, I just meant like regular shoes.... what kind can I wear? Any close toe shoe? OR should I wear boots? I have a pair of combat ankle high boots... black leather... but they are klunky...

gloves to match the jacket

Old 05-30-2010, 11:31 PM

ideally, you'll want motorcycle specific riding shoes at the very least.

These are the riding shoes I wear.

Ankle support is extremely important. You will put your foot down at a light / stop sign / gas pump into gravel / oil / ground depression. When you do, the support provided by what you're wearing may prevent you from twisting your ankle and dropping your bike. Riding boots will also have some impact armor, at the minimum covering the ankles. A broken / shattered ankle is an extremely long recovery, with no guarantee of a full one. Full boots will extend above the shin with impact armor to protect against flying debris and motorcycle bits if you go down.

Minor feature but also important is they'll have some way of securing the laces. Getting your laces caught on the rear set (very common occurance) or in the chain (less common) is bad, mmkay? More than one n00b drop has occurred due to laces getting hung up on the rear set and the rider being unable to put their foot down. Another minor but important feature will be some sort of anti-slip sole. Again, your foot will go down into something slick. And the grip on your shoes will be the difference between nada and embarrassment

Now that's all the ideal situation. Many guys wear their Tims / work boots and simply tuck their laces into the boot. I did till I bought my boots. It's not ideal but its better than a pair of sneakers. If you wear open toe sandals / flipflops and we find out about it, we'll brand you Squid until the guilt makes you succumb and you at least toss on a pair of Nikes

Last edited by Kuroshio; 05-30-2010 at 11:33 PM.
Old 05-30-2010, 11:48 PM

Haha, no need to brand me a squid! I'd NEVER wear flipflops or sandals on a bike. I have a pair of military boots, that dont go all the way up, only just above the ankle. I may start with those, and tuck the laces, then eventually get boots.

What about the jacket? Who makes the ones that have Honda on them?

Old 05-30-2010, 11:58 PM
Old 05-31-2010, 12:05 AM

oh damn those are sweet!!! I hope I can find a red/black CBR! My helmet is red/black, and then I could get one of those sexy jackets!!!

How do those feel in 90 degree weather 100% humidity? I assume im going to burn up in this and jeans... : \

Old 05-31-2010, 12:07 AM

o0 Ilike this one a lot!!!

http://www.revzilla.com/product/joe-...durance-jacket

I play a video game called Mass Effect, and this looks like N7 armor

Quick Reply: Favorite Jacket/Shoes/Gloves?