Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Ebay jacket armor insert review

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2008, 01:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ebay jacket armor insert review

So, the jacket I have for my suit only had CE rubberized armor in the shoulders and elbows. After wearing my Supermoto jacket....
Name:  DSC00021.jpg
Views: 36
Size:  156.8 KB

....I just felt kinda vulnerable without the plastic protection. I browsed ebay for a while and found that Joe Rocket plastic inserts would run me at least 18 for the elbows and another 18 for the shoulders. I even went to new enough and found the same prices. Not having a lot of money to spend, I decided to use a reputable seller on ebay. The link below is exactly what I purchased.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...:IT&ih=013

They actually came in the mail today which was a whole 3 days after I ordered them. Great turn around.

Initial impression is they're thin. Upon further inspection of my Supermoto jacket, I'd call the plastic thickness roughly the same. The thinness of these pads is illustrated below along with their size in comparison to the original pads. I like the fact that they are bigger. I also like that they are CE.
Name:  DSC00019.jpg
Views: 38
Size:  114.0 KB
Name:  DSC00017.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  210.3 KB
Name:  DSC00020.jpg
Views: 30
Size:  73.4 KB

The thinness actually worked out really well because I could, with a bit of effort, squeeze them AND the original pads into the pockets of my jacket. The time to transfer them over was probably about 15-20minutes. The plastic pads were placed on top of the originals so the rubber CE pad are closest to my body.

The jacket is definitely larger/puffier now on the shoulders and elbows, but it feels much safer. I also feel better about having the plastic in there along with the rubber. No movement restrictions what that I noticed. I just look bigger.
Name:  DSC00023.jpg
Views: 43
Size:  58.0 KB

One fault I noticed. Looks like one of the shoulder pads was worn (?) or just rubbed the wrong way in the bag. Either way, not a big deal because no one will ever see it and it will still do it's job.
Name:  DSC00018.jpg
Views: 26
Size:  287.8 KB

Overall, I give them a 9.8 out of 10 and I recommend picking up a set. They actually come with back protectors in kits as well, but I already have an Icon vest. They ran me $25 to my door with insurance on shipping.

Old 03-06-2008, 01:34 PM
Retired Administrator
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Ebay jacket armor insert review

Great review, thanks.