CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Riding Gear (https://cbrforum.com/forum/riding-gear-31/)
-   -   Denim vs. Asphalt (https://cbrforum.com/forum/riding-gear-31/denim-vs-asphalt-33575/)

mannyrios 03-16-2007 02:32 AM

Denim vs. Asphalt

Interesting read.... Denim vs. Asphalt
Click here

Any thoughts?

I'm debating the following. And I understand that nothing protects better than leather.

Alpinestars Ergo Painter Denim Pants
Draggin Jeans - ["SILVERBACK" Mens Sports Comfort Fit Jeans.
Joe Rocket "Steel" Denim Jeans
Cortech DSX Denim Pants

13brsxsrr 03-16-2007 03:01 AM

RE: Denim vs. Asphalt

I low sided across two lanes of hywy at about 65 and I had a hole on my knee cap when it was all said and done. Don't get me wrong I ride injeans and not my two piecesome times. The jeansheld up descent but I'd rather fall in leathers.;)

rippn 03-16-2007 06:10 AM

They say... heavy levi's, are generaly worth about 3 ft... balistic 20ft, give or take... leather, med duty...'bout 40ft... good leather suit, 85 ft
So many ,variables in a crash... I want to have the BEST chance of survive'n one... and the healing process. Screw anyone that ever tells you..." your over geared". Invest in your future, your worth it !
Free and clean, Ripp'n

Illushun 03-16-2007 09:25 AM

ORIGINAL: rippn

They say... heavy levi's, are generaly worth about 3 ft... balistic 20ft, give or take... leather, med duty...'bout 40ft... good leather suit, 85 ft
So many ,variables in a crash... I want to have the BEST chance of survive'n one... and the healing process. Screw anyone that ever tells you..." your over geared". Invest in your future, your worth it !
Free and clean, Ripp'n
My friend said to me "Dress for the crash, not the ride." It completely makes sense. While we want to ride to enjoy, the majority of time, we all ride defensively. I spent ALOT of money on gear because of those reasons. Smart moves Ripp'n!

mannyrios 03-16-2007 10:47 AM

You guys are all 100% correct. I do wear leathers, however I'll admit to taking off with my Jeans on. With that said, I was just entertain and curious to know opinions on the jeans I listed. If I'm taking off with Jeans, I rather have better protection that my Gap Jeans. I'm thinking the Draggin Jeans would be the smart purchase.

That's folks!

Tahoe SC 03-16-2007 03:35 PM

that test is flawed.
with sand, the weight is equally distributed across the surface area of the jean contacting the asphalt for an almost even wear patch...
if you were wearing it, your weight would be heavily concentrated in one area or a few smaller areas, but not ever the entire surface area of the jeans...so as 13brs tested and proved...you won't get very far.
ican't believe they did not account for this in thetesting...then again...theyaren't researchers either.

mannyrios 03-16-2007 03:58 PM

Awesome analyst. I didn't see that but you have a valid point. In their defense, they're amateurs. It was a good attempt at the very least. [/align] [/align]

FFCBRf4i 03-16-2007 09:29 PM

ORIGINAL: Tahoe SC

that test is flawed.
with sand, the weight is equally distributed across the surface area of the jean contacting the asphalt for an almost even wear patch...
if you were wearing it, your weight would be heavily concentrated in one area or a few smaller areas, but not ever the entire surface area of the jeans...so as 13brs tested and proved...you won't get very far.
ican't believe they did not account for this in thetesting...then again...theyaren't researchers either.
good point and I agree.

deerslayer 03-16-2007 10:22 PM

Well from an EMT/Firefighter's prospective, and unfortunetly I have seen a lot of motorcycle accidents, jeans do not hold up very well! I have seen a lot of bad injuries from road rash and let me tell you its not pretty. You really cant appreciate the how bad the injuries are until you see or expierence them first hand. And liek what was posted earlier its usually concentrated in a couple smaller areas that seem to hit first or slide the longest. Now granted with my current bike, even though it makes no difference, I ride in jeans. But purchasing my new bike I am looking into some riding pants, be it riding jeans or regular riding pants.

davefolds3 03-16-2007 11:23 PM

from another emt/firefighter/student nurse....Jeans for the lose if your gonna push it