Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

Boot Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2006, 09:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Boot Question

I tried on my brother’s new alpinestar tech series boots today and they fit me perfect and the protection on them is awesome. The only question is that when I sat on my bike, it seemed a little awkward up shifting.

Is this common with racing boots? Is this common with brand new boots? I wear a size 47, could this be the reason?

I am on the quest to find a great boot, just need a little input.

Thanks

Old 01-28-2006, 10:50 PM
Default RE: Boot Question

Hey,
I've got Alpinestars SP-3 pluses in a 46. You have to raise the lever up via the threaded shift rod. Loosen the nuts on both ends and turn it will come right up, just don't got to far of all you'll be able to shift in to is 1st and neutral, don't ask me how i know that. Even with the lever up it still feels a little awkward/different though.

Old 01-29-2006, 03:36 PM

Get a pair of Sidi Vertigo's. Great fit, protection and lots of feel for the pegs, shifter and brake lever. I don't like the Alpinestars; the peg feel for me was vague, I had hard time determining if I made positive up and down shifts and I had a hard time modulating the rear brake with them.

Old 01-29-2006, 03:43 PM

I have a pair of SuperTech boots and I noticed they were thicker at the toe because of the insert...as a result, I had to adjust the shifter up and all was well.

They will loosen up as the boot breaks in, so upshifting will get better.

Old 01-30-2006, 01:35 AM

Thanks for the replys. I was also looking at the SMX Plus Racing Boot. Do you think that these would have the same feel?

I read about the Sidi Vertigo's and they look like they have a lot of external working parts that could end up getting messed up?

Does anyone else have a boot that they really like? I am looking for PROTECTION, not looks or price.

Thanks

Old 01-31-2006, 11:24 PM

What do people think about the dainese axial race? Does anyone have them or tried them?

Also, does anyone know how sizes between brands would correspond? I have a 43 in Alpinestars, what size would I need in Dainese?

Old 02-01-2006, 03:02 AM

ORIGINAL: sbv32

Thanks for the replys. I was also looking at the SMX Plus Racing Boot. Do you think that these would have the same feel?
The thing that turned me off about the Sidi boots was they don't have a heel slider and the Astars do...I've crash tested my Astars and I now have big scuff marks on my heel sliders from when I went down and I wonder if I would have started tumbling without them? The Sidi boots also pinched my troll feet, which I didn't like...

I also own a pair of SMX Plus boots (the boots I crash tested) and I love them! I think they feel better than the SuperTechs because they're all one unit...meaning they don't have the inner boot. The SuperTechs have a strange loose feel to them when walking, so that's why I wear them at the track and use the SMX Plus for street riding.

Old 02-01-2006, 08:47 PM

I have the d-axials and THEY ROCK! Super good fit for my foot and excellent protection. Kind of pricey but a lot less so than the leg I broke before I had them! Give me a ding, I might be able to get you a hook up price if you decide to go that way. And in case you're wondering, No, we don't sell them so this isn't a sale in progress - just a good review.

Old 02-05-2006, 09:14 PM

ORIGINAL: sbv32

I read about the Sidi Vertigo's and they look like they have a lot of external working parts that could end up getting messed up?

Does anyone else have a boot that they really like? I am looking for PROTECTION, not looks or price.

Thanks
I had the same problems with my SMX boots. I adjusted the shift lever and I put gel inserts in them so I had more control of the boot with my foot. Before the inserts, my foot was flopping around in the boot too much to feel the shifter. I love my boots, they're a month old an getting even better with time!

Old 02-18-2006, 03:16 AM

I like my Gaerne boots.
they have a heel shock protecter, ankle prtector, toe slider, shin gard, and they don't stink after two years of profusly sweating in the summer!
I have a narrow foot and got the boots a half size smaller than I normally wear. They were tight as hell at first and awkward. Once broke in they are very comfortable

Quick Reply: Boot Question