Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

arai helmets + headphones=possible?

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-2008, 11:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default arai helmets + headphones=possible?

So Ive looked around on here but I can't find a good solid answer to my question. I have an Arai RX7 helmet and Im trying to find what everyone has used for headphones that fit comfortably under their arai helmets??

Ive looked at a bunch of different options but havent found anything that really sells me.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

Old 02-11-2008, 01:09 AM
Default RE: arai helmets + headphones=possible?

I have an RX-7 too and the short answer is I've never found earbuds that don't cause pressure after more than twenty minutes...my Shoei RF, on the other hand, has just enough give that I could listen to music for 1-2 hours.

Sticking with Arai--as everyone should--try the Quantum-2, it has a rounder fit than the RX-7 and might allow for more earpiece room...other than that, unless you have a custom-fitted, low-profile, high-expense earpiece design, you might be out of luck...

I love helmets...which RX-7 did you get?

Old 02-11-2008, 09:12 AM

I use Koss ear phones under my Nolan helmet with no problems. As for sticking with Arai (as everyone should?) see the post in this section entitled "Very interesting helmet article". In Motorcyclist Magazine tests of how much energy various helmets, built to different standards (DOT, Snell, British and Euro specs) would pass to your head upon impact in an accident, the Arai they tested didn't fair so well. It came in 14th out of 16 helmets tested, coming in well behind some significantly cheaper lids.

Old 02-11-2008, 04:33 PM

My cousin actually put little computer speakers in his arai and they work really well he says. He also made it so the end wasa female connector so if (when) he got pulled over he could just quick connect it.

Old 02-11-2008, 05:42 PM

I use my plane old ipod earphones every day. They work like a champ, and my KBC is snugg...

Old 02-11-2008, 09:12 PM

ORIGINAL: pacojoseph

I use Koss ear phones under my Nolan helmet with no problems. As for sticking with Arai (as everyone should?) see the post in this section entitled "Very interesting helmet article". In Motorcyclist Magazine tests of how much energy various helmets, built to different standards (DOT, Snell, British and Euro specs) would pass to your head upon impact in an accident, the Arai they tested didn't fair so well. It came in 14th out of 16 helmets tested, coming in well behind some significantly cheaper lids.
Yes, I am familiar with the test and subscribe to the magazine, among others. My fanboy comment regarding 'everyone' was just that...personal preference, not a literality.

Obviously, anyone that read the test should have noticed:

ORIGINAL: Motorcyclist

In fact, our results show that modern helmets are all made with an amazing degree of precision, with their shell construction, liner density and liner thickness all controlled very well in the production process.

All the helmets we tested performed exactly as the standards they were designed to meet predicted.

So choosing a helmet, at least in terms of safety, is not a question of choosing high or low quality, it's one of choosing what degree of stiffness you prefer, finding a helmet in that range by choosing a particular standard, and then worrying about fine points like fit, comfort, ventilation, graphics, racer endorsements or computer-generated spokesmodels.

There was no 'place finish' among all the contestants, as you so pointedly debate. Your '14th out of 16' comment is the mistaken result of counting down across four different design categories. There was no tally from first to last as a whole:

ORIGINAL: Motorcyclist

AVERAGE Gs
Fewer Gs = Less chance of brain injury

DOT-only helmets:

Z1R ZRP-1 (P)[*]Average: 152 Gs[*]LF: 148 gs[*]RF: 176 gs[*]LR: 153 gs[*]RR: 130 gs

Fulmer AFD4 (P)[*]Average: 157 Gs[*]LF: 152 gs[*]RF: 173 gs[*]LR: 175 gs[*]RR: 130 gs

Pep Boys Raider (P)[*]Average: 174 Gs[*]LF: 163 gs[*]RF: 199 gs[*]LR: 185 gs[*]RR: 152 gs

BSI/DOT Helmets

AGV Ti-Tech (F)[*]Average: 169 Gs[*]LF: 156 gs[*]RF: 199 gs[*]LR: 195 gs[*]RR: 129 gs

Suomy Spec 1R (BSI) (F)[*]Average: 182 Gs[*]LF: 192 gs[*]RF: 215 gs[*]LR: 197 gs[*]RR: 126 gs

ECE 22-05/DOT Helmets

Schuberth S-1 (F)[*]Average: 161 Gs[*]LF: 151 gs[*]RF: 180 gs[*]LR: 176 gs[*]RR: 137 gs

Suomy Spec 1R (ECE) (F)[*]Average: 171 Gs[*]LF: 156 gs[*]RF: 200 gs[*]LR: 190 gs[*]RR: 140 gs

Shark RSX (F)[*]Average: 173 Gs[*]LF: 166 gs[*]RF: 187 gs[*]LR: 201 gs[*]RR: 141 gs

Vemar VSR[*]Average: 174 Gs[*]LF: 171 gs[*]RF: 198 gs[*]LR: 166 gs[*]RR: 162 gs

Snell 2000/DOT Helmets

Icon Mainframe (P)[*]Average: 181 Gs[*]LF: 168 gs[*]RF: 217 gs[*]LR: 189 gs[*]RR: 152 gs

Icon Alliance (F)[*]Average: 183 Gs[*]LF: 179 gs[*]RF: 200 gs[*]LR: 179 gs[*]RR: 175 gs

Scorpion EXO-400 (P)[*]Average: 187 Gs[*]LF: 185 gs[*]RF: 212 gs[*]LR: 193 gs[*]RR: 158 gs

AGV X-R2 (F)[*]Average: 188 Gs[*]LF: 192 gs[*]RF: 226 gs[*]LR: 166 gs[*]RR: 167 gs

Arai Tracker GT (F)[*]Average: 201 Gs[*]LF: 193 gs[*]RF: 243 gs[*]LR: 203 gs[*]RR: 166 gs

HJC AC-11 (F)[*]Average: 204 Gs[*]LF: 195 gs[*]RF: 230 gs[*]LR: 231 gs[*]RR: 163 gs

Scorpion EXO-700 (F)[*]Average: 211 Gs[*]LF: 207 gs[*]RF: 236 gs[*]LR: 226 gs[*]RR: 176 gs [/align]

I encourage you to actually read the stuff you recommend, or are you just a Nolan rep?

Old 02-12-2008, 12:50 PM
Ty

I was recommended a setup on this forum a while ago that works great. I got a set of earbuds that have "foamies" on them from radioshack. They were like 40 bucks, but they have very little protrusion into the helmet and they come with three sets of foamies so that you can find the one that best fits your ear. It stops the problem of shifting the earbud when you put your helmet on and keeps them nice and comfortable. I run the cord out of my helmet, through my jacket, out the end of the sleeve and back up into my ipod in an armband on my forearm facing in/up. Keeps the cord and ipod nearly invisible, and allows very easy control of the ipod. Might not work quite as well with the big ipods, but I barely notice my nano on my arm. I use this setup all the time and love it.

Old 02-12-2008, 04:58 PM

ORIGINAL: SpiritRR[*]

I encourage you to actually read the stuff you recommend, or are you just a Nolan rep?
[*]

A Nolan Rep? I simply state that I wear Koss phones under my Nolan without any problem, while you state that everyone should wear Arai, and somehow I'm the helmet manufacturer rep.
As to actually reading the stuff I recommend, I did read the entire article when it first came out about two years ago- and the article was quite long. In fact, after reading the article, I thought, WTF, are they REALLY saying what I think they're saying? So I read it again. And they were saying what I thought, and it turned on its ear everything I had ever heard about which helmet safety, and I've been riding for thirty years. My question to you is, did you read the article? Better yet, did you read your own post before you posted it? You take me to task for simply counting down the chart. That's not true, and your own numbers prove it. For those who haven't seen the article. the numbers on the chart represent the numbers of G's that were tranferred to a crash test dummy headform when they were subjected to significant impacts to four spots on the hemet- left and right front and left and right rear. The average is the average of these four numbers. As is clearly stated at the top of the chart, the lower the number, the lower the chance of sustaining brain injury. I used the average score for each helmet in coming to my conclusion, and the Arai's average score was higher than all but two of the sixteen helmets tested. Remember, the lower the score, the less chance of brain injury. Look at the chart. The $90 Pep Boys helmet passed 25 fewer G's, on average, than the Arai, and 35 fewer than the Scorpion. How many bikers would be shocked to hear that, and how many bar bets could you win with that info. The best scores were achieved by the $100 Z1R, transferring, on average, 49 fewer G's than the Arai.
The bottom line is that there is a school of thought out there that runs counter to the coventional wisdom that, in the event of an accident, you're likely much better off if you're wearing a high end helmet from Arai or Shoei or whomever, built to Snell standards. This school claims that the Snell standard is flawed and that in the event of a getoff, you're actually better off with a helmet using softer foam than the Snell spec lids use. Softer foam such as the foam that is typically used in DOT only spec helmets. Motorcyclist decided to put these claims to the test and their tests confirmed these claims, as shown by the chart you posted. The cheaper, DOT only lids outperformed the Snell helmets across the board. I never knew this school of thought existed until I read the Motorcyclist article. I think more riders should be made aware that this school's existence, and if I **** a few Arai or Shoei or whatever owners along the way, so be it.

Old 02-12-2008, 08:14 PM

That was so well done I'm forced to say 'touche'. Good form, too...anyone that knows when to use 'whomever' can't possibly be misinformed--so I beg to rescind my previous post.

Not once, however, have I actually thought all riders should buy one brand--that would be silly, and I had assumed it to be obvious. I would have made the same remark about AMD, Honda, Rottweilers, all-natural toothpaste--whatever makes my preference meter spike. Truthfully, I only prefer Arai because they were worn by Doohan and Schwantz back, way back, in the day.

Sorry cradle, didn't mean to get all stiff in your thread. There has to be off-the-shelf earphones that will work. BTW, you still haven't told me which RX-7 you got.

Old 02-12-2008, 09:11 PM

lol sorry, been busy for the last couple days

I have the rx7 corsair. besides the earbud "problem" right now I LOVE that helmet. So comfy and lots of vents but havent gotten a chance to use them yet (too cold)

The headphones I have right now are those Sony around-the-ear-and-in style, if you know what Im talking about? I can not get them in for the life of me but I might pickup some earbuds this weekend and try it out.

Also for mp3 players, as a side question, what does everyone have and how do they like them?

Quick Reply: arai helmets + headphones=possible?