Riding Gear Questions and reviews about jackets, helmets, gloves, etc.

alpinestars freeride shorts vs comp pro shorts

Old 07-02-2012, 07:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alpinestars freeride shorts vs comp pro shorts

anybody have any experience with these?

Obviously i know the bionic freeride shorts offer more protection, but to be honest i barely ride my bike now a days, and i just want some "normal" protection for my bottom half. I dont do track, and i never take my bike over 80 mphs, so when i do go down it wont be at supersonic speeds or anything, will the comp pro shorts be enough for my type of riding?

Anybody own any of these? My main thing is with the bionics is, do they show thru your jeans? Im pretty sure the comp pro's dont since they have less armor and its just padding, but curious as to how noticeable the bionics are, as in, does it look like your wearing a diaper type of deal....

Old 07-02-2012, 12:39 PM

To most ppl on this forum any one who wears shorts while riding is a "squid". Check out the squid thread if you are not familiar with the term. I however think that just riding without full gear all the time does not make you a squid (as long as you have a full face helmet). I do not have experience with the shorts but I would go with alpinestars after just checking them out. Always liked aplinestars and their equipment.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

These type of shorts aren't meant add a top garment, note do i believe the op intends them as such. So nobody would go the squid name calling route i think.

Hip and tailbone damage happens in accidents a lot. Looks like they'll provide protection for those areas. I personally prefer armor from TP Forcefield as they consistently surpass kinetic absorption standards in most their products.

Old 07-02-2012, 01:17 PM

To most ppl on this forum any one who wears shorts while riding is a "squid". Check out the squid thread if you are not familiar with the term. I however think that just riding without full gear all the time does not make you a squid (as long as you have a full face helmet). I do not have experience with the shorts but I would go with alpinestars after just checking them out. Always liked aplinestars and their equipment.
whoa you are way off, these arent "shorts" as in cargo pants or something, i meant these Alpinestars Comp Pro Shorts - RevZilla vs these Alpinestars Bionic Freeride Shorts - RevZilla

I already have a alpinestars tgp plus jacket with the ugraded bionic chest and back protector, and smx 2 gloves, and of course my helmet, but i dont have any protection for my bottom half so i was looking at one of these to wear under my jeans while i ride.