CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Product Reviews (https://cbrforum.com/forum/product-reviews-29/)
-   -   Vortex 43mm Clip Ons (https://cbrforum.com/forum/product-reviews-29/vortex-43mm-clip-ons-41104/)

Tahoe SC 06-05-2007 02:05 PM

Vortex 43mm Clip Ons

Just got around to installing these properly this morning at 5am....after having them for about a year. did install them on sunday but i had my schiznit backwards.

can't comment on them just yet as i haven't had the chance to take the bike out for a spin...but they do look nice...all shiny and stuff. it's all aluminum and i'm the king of bolt stripping so yea one bolt got a bit fubar'd but it's all good! clearance is not so great but there's really no need to go full turn while riding. left side clears fine, throttle side hits the intake hoses...and i do have my air duct covers removed. great thing is that it gives more space to route hoses and lines, etc.

i know people who have used this had issues with the stock brake reservoir and upper fairing stay. i didn't have this issues as i have a gixxer MC on mines....because i fubar'd the screws on the stock resevoir cap and got sick of dealing with it...oh and i also did fubar the screw in the MC too...muahhahahhaha...damn aluminum.

waiting for the newly applied (used) gel grips to set before i take her out for a spin.

1. fit and finish is great...until i got to it and fubar'd it up.
2. note that on the right clip on...you need to drill a hole as the starter/throttle housing has an alignment pin that slides into a hole in the stock clip ons...so you'll need to drill a 3/16" hole to accomodate this...or grind off the alignment pin.
3. you can mount these above or below the triples. they will hit everything and anything since they are desgined for race only. if installed on top, there will be about 3mm of clamp leftover. not a problem...as the bottom 2 bolts on the clamp are enough to hold in place. did some searching on this and the same thing happens with woodcraft clip ons. per woodcraft, which has a 2 bolt design it only needs 35mm of fork tube to work properly...
4. pix to come soon.
5. going to try it out saturday.

t

Tahoe SC 06-11-2007 12:51 PM

Update

first ride...WOW...
positioning definitely is much more aggressive even though they are mounted above triples. position feels somewhat like an RR, but the arms are further forward (RR feels more like you're hovering right over the bike or on top of it) and you still feel like you're "in" the bike.

as far as riding characteristics...it feels like a completely different bike...will definitely get me out of the bike much more.

tahoe likes!

FFCBRf4i 06-11-2007 04:26 PM

RE: Update

why did you wait so long to install them?

Jaybird180 06-11-2007 05:01 PM

What's the deal with removing the air ducts? Do you notice any loss of power at high speeds?

Tahoe SC 06-11-2007 08:49 PM

what's with the 20 questions? mauahahhah...

waited so long cause at first i just wanted to ride didn't want ANY downtime...not even20 minutes for the install...or waiting for the grip to cure (24hours)....but then we had a baby...so fatherhood got the best of me.

i didn't remove the air ducts...but the air duct covers...sorry for confusion.

Nobble 06-12-2007 11:59 PM

RE: Vortex 43mm Clip Ons

ok, here a nub question...what a clip ons? lol i hear people talking about them, but i have no idea what they are or what they do....from the sounds of the post, they do something to your bar positon? i really don't know though lol.

woodyracing 06-13-2007 01:49 AM

clip-ons are what you call sportbike "handle bars" they are separate pieces obviously and clamp onto each fork leg as opposed to standard "bars" that cruisers/dirt bikes usually use that are made as one piece for the whole thing so they call them "clip-ons"

in this case Vortex are aftermarket clip-ons designed mostly for racing because the bars and clamp are separate pieces so if you crash, the whole thing doesn't have to be replaced
they also usually have very different bar angles and are much lighter

anyway, great write-up tahoe I've been wanting to try the vortex clip-ons for a while but I've already got a set of Woodcrafts that I haven't installed yet either lol

Jaybird180 06-13-2007 02:05 PM

You Slackers.
OOps....I guess I need to install my Red Bull can......next week, or the week after.

Tahoe SC 06-13-2007 02:13 PM

no you need to report back on how all that suspension work did for your riding.

Jaybird180 06-13-2007 04:39 PM

Sure, wheredo you want me to do that...a PM or a new Post?