CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Product Reviews (https://cbrforum.com/forum/product-reviews-29/)
-   -   Stands: Any Brand to Stay Away From? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/product-reviews-29/stands-any-brand-stay-away-130196/)

Incompatible 08-28-2011 03:11 PM

Stands: Any Brand to Stay Away From?

Beginning my search for at least a rear stand and maybe F&R for light maintenance use. Bike is an 02 CBR600 F4i. Lots of manufacturers and price differences out there and I understand that you get what you pay for. Any brands that I should stay away from? Thanks.

MadHattr059 08-28-2011 03:34 PM

My little 40 dollar harbor freight does fine for me. I'm sure somebody's gonna dis 'em,
but, as I've said, works fine. If I'm being hard-core, I put my baby on a hydralic lift.

I mostly use it for oil/fluid changes/checks and chain-lube duty's, though.
If you do anything serious, it might be a little 'fluffy' for ya, though.

Ern

gotcbr 08-29-2011 02:16 PM

Instead of suggesting stands to stay away from, I can tell you a couple/few that are good ones to have.

I use Pit Bull stands (Pit Bull Motorcycle Stands-Motorcycle Accessories) on my CBR. They are extremely strong & well-built w/ lifetime guarantee. My rear stand doubles as both spool & standard. I can use it on my CBR (no spools) & my other bikes by just flipping over the support. My front stand can lift by either the bottom of the forks or by the lower triple. If you ever plan on doing any front-end work, having a stand that can lift by that lower triple is a must. While the Pit Bulls are pricey, its peace-of-mind for me knowing they are high quality.

I also have a set of Kyle Racing stands. While the tubing isn't as large of a gauge as the Pit Bull, they are extremely sturdy as well. They are similar to T-Rex stands, which have a good reputation as well.

Regarding MadHattr059's mention of Harbor Freight stands... While I don't have their rear stand, I do have their - front stand/wheel chock Motorcycle Stand / Wheel Chock . I have a couple of Baxley front wheel chocks (Baxley Trailer Sport Chock), which I prefer, but needed another front wheel chock. I took a chance on the HF front wheel chock. I found it to be quite sturdy & holds the bike firmly upright. No, its not as refined & compact as the Baxley but the HF, for the money, is quite sufficient & GTG. W/ HF's coupons & sales, these can be purchased fairly inexpensively. Like the Baxley, they can also be used in the back of your truck on on your trailer for transporting of your bike as well.

I have also used HF's standard front wheel chock on trailers in the past Motorcycle Wheel Chock . As long as its securely mounted to the trailer's decking, it works quite well also.

Good luck w/ your shopping.

Incompatible 08-29-2011 04:08 PM

Thanks for the info, there's nothing like "hands on" knowledge.