CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Product Reviews (https://cbrforum.com/forum/product-reviews-29/)
-   -   Shoei RF1000 Camino TC6 (https://cbrforum.com/forum/product-reviews-29/shoei-rf1000-camino-tc6-95240/)

some guy #2 06-10-2009 07:35 PM

Shoei RF1000 Camino TC6

I ordered this helmet (the white one) from Sportbike track gear and am very happy with my purchase so far. I always had a hard time finding a helmet that fit me like I thought it should and settled for less than perfect fit twice (HJC CL-14 and a Scorpion EXO-400). Each time I got closer to what I wanted but never really hit the mark. My new lid is not the perfect fit I crave but it bridges another gap in my search for the best helmet for me.

I ordered the XL based on previous experience with HJC, Scorpion, and trying on more helmets than I can remember. The top of my head (forehead and tops of my ears) fits wondefully and it tight enough to know its there without being to loose. The cheek pads could be bigger and that is the first thing I will be ordering extra for my helmet. Other than the small cheek pads I am liking the fit and the fact that it no longer flops around on my head like my old scorpion.

I got a deal with my helmet where I got a free visor and I choose the dark smoke. I instead recieved the mirrored finish one which STG informed me of before it came in and worked with me to solve the problem. This is the second time I've had an issue with mixed up orders from STG but the service makes up for the trouble. I now love the mirrored shield and will keep it instead of exchanging it. The helmet also comes with a breath guard and a chin curtain (something I have been looking at my Scorpion for a while).

My comparison of my Shoei to my HJC and Scorpion.

Looks-subjective, my helmets more or less match my gear so all of them look awesome. The only downside to Shoei is the graphic Shoei on the sides (thank god for stickers).

Fit-worlds apart from my HJC and much better than my Scorpion.

Lining-The hjc reminds me of wool while the Scorpion feels like smooth nylon. It never gripped my face but kinda slide aorund. The Shoei feels like whatever is below velvet, which is a big improvement.

Features-Shoei wins hands down. The HJC came with nothing and was the basic no frills deal. The scorpion was a step up with a fully removebale liner, breath guard, and more vents than I knew what to do with. Changing shields was faster than the HJC but still not what I considered painless. The Shoei has all the benefits of the Scorpion but much simpler vents that I can use while riding. Comes with a chin curtain which I secretly wish all helmets came with, and the visor sytem. I just changed the clear visor with the mirrored one and it took maybe 30 seconds and I had no idea what i was doing.

I will eventually find the helmet that is perfect for me, and once I do I will know what it should feel like based off the massive improvements my Shoei is compared to all my previous helmets. If you are in the market for a new helmet and want to spend around 400, I suggest you try on the Shoei RF1000.

jpanside@gmail.com 06-11-2009 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by some guy #2 (Post 796056)
I ordered this helmet (the white one) from Sportbike track gear and am very happy with my purchase so far. I always had a hard time finding a helmet that fit me like I thought it should and settled for less than perfect fit twice (HJC CL-14 and a Scorpion EXO-400). Each time I got closer to what I wanted but never really hit the mark. My new lid is not the perfect fit I crave but it bridges another gap in my search for the best helmet for me.

I ordered the XL based on previous experience with HJC, Scorpion, and trying on more helmets than I can remember. The top of my head (forehead and tops of my ears) fits wondefully and it tight enough to know its there without being to loose. The cheek pads could be bigger and that is the first thing I will be ordering extra for my helmet. Other than the small cheek pads I am liking the fit and the fact that it no longer flops around on my head like my old scorpion.

I got a deal with my helmet where I got a free visor and I choose the dark smoke. I instead recieved the mirrored finish one which STG informed me of before it came in and worked with me to solve the problem. This is the second time I've had an issue with mixed up orders from STG but the service makes up for the trouble. I now love the mirrored shield and will keep it instead of exchanging it. The helmet also comes with a breath guard and a chin curtain (something I have been looking at my Scorpion for a while).

My comparison of my Shoei to my HJC and Scorpion.

Looks-subjective, my helmets more or less match my gear so all of them look awesome. The only downside to Shoei is the graphic Shoei on the sides (thank god for stickers).

Fit-worlds apart from my HJC and much better than my Scorpion.

Lining-The hjc reminds me of wool while the Scorpion feels like smooth nylon. It never gripped my face but kinda slide aorund. The Shoei feels like whatever is below velvet, which is a big improvement.

Features-Shoei wins hands down. The HJC came with nothing and was the basic no frills deal. The scorpion was a step up with a fully removebale liner, breath guard, and more vents than I knew what to do with. Changing shields was faster than the HJC but still not what I considered painless. The Shoei has all the benefits of the Scorpion but much simpler vents that I can use while riding. Comes with a chin curtain which I secretly wish all helmets came with, and the visor sytem. I just changed the clear visor with the mirrored one and it took maybe 30 seconds and I had no idea what i was doing.

I will eventually find the helmet that is perfect for me, and once I do I will know what it should feel like based off the massive improvements my Shoei is compared to all my previous helmets. If you are in the market for a new helmet and want to spend around 400, I suggest you try on the Shoei RF1000.

dang dude nice review. I think I will do the same as you, I will change the cheek pads for a better fit. I am getting a Shoei RF 1000 but one size up from my normal (medium). And I think I will just change some of the padding for a nice fit. Please tell me how the padding goes for you. Thanks

PlayfulGod 06-11-2009 05:28 PM

nice review. the scorpion exo-1000 has all the features you mentioned you like plus builtin sun visor and pump up cheek pads. ATM i dont have to inflate the cheeks pads, but it will be nice when they start to get worn.

My biggest complaint with the helmets I have had this far is noise. I want a quiet helmet lol.

some guy #2 06-12-2009 09:18 AM

I tried on a exo-1000 and it wouldn't fit on my big head. I liked all the features it had for the price but the fit was just awful for me.

Cheek pads are ~$20 but after trying on the lid again i think they are tight enough. I just need to ride in it for a few hundred miles to test it properly :)