CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Product Reviews (https://cbrforum.com/forum/product-reviews-29/)
-   -   Scorpion EXO-1000 (apollo graphics) (https://cbrforum.com/forum/product-reviews-29/scorpion-exo-1000-apollo-graphics-119510/)

kazspeed 12-20-2010 02:46 PM

Scorpion EXO-1000 (apollo graphics)

1 Attachment(s)
This is my review on the exo-1000 helmet:

I have about 1,200 miles with this helmet and I have to say I am 110% happy that I decided to buy this helmet.

The visor itself is marketed to never fog, and surprisingly its true, the outside visor never fogs. I have not rode in the rain but would be very surprised if it fogged up. The only thing is the internal flip-down visor does not have the no-fog coating so this will fog if it is down and you do not have any vents open. I plan on spraying some anti-fog goggle spray on the flip down and hopefully that will work.

This brings me to the airflow and vents of the helmet. The vents in this helmet actually work, each serving a noticeable different purpose.The airflow is great in this helmet and the wind noise is very minimal.

Additionally, I remember reading some reviews that the helmet was heavy. By no means is this helmet heavy. My neck has never felt "tired" from wearing this helmet so I am really unsure of why some people experience this.

Also the internal air pump is great to give you just a little extra feeling of a custom fit. I do not use this feature all the time but its nice to know it is there.

Also the chin skirt that comes on the helmet is great. It really does keep the wind from going up the chin. Its a great little feature.

I ended up getting this model helmet for only $139.99, which is a complete steal. Many places sell this, even now, for over $250. If you keep your eye out though every once in a while there will be a sale for the apollo graphics. I was able to snag up a great price.

Overall I am completely satisfied with my purchase and with over 1000 miles wearing the helmet I have no regrets.I would recommend this helmet to anyone.

NRWhiteKnight 12-21-2010 12:18 AM

Awesome price you got. Have you tested the shield yet? I have the EXO-700 and I know on those (and am reasonably sure on all the EXO's) that you flex the shield over your leg, like trying to break a stick, and it will bend inside out and not break. I do it as a demo (have seen a video of it too) when I teach BRC's. I love Scorpion helmets. They Rock!

johnnyh 12-21-2010 10:58 PM

I'm a scorpion fan and own two scorpions but I do want something lighter. The 1000 weights a little over 4 pounds and the 400 is at 3lbs 14ounces and the 700 is 3-13. They claim that the exo 750 is lighter and offers the air pump also. I really want to try the akuma phantom at just 3 pounds. They claim that the only way to understand the weight is to accually use a light helmet and the go back to a heavy lid. Johnnyh

tucsondude 12-30-2010 01:56 AM

EXO 1000 is awesome..

just my inner visor randomly decides it doestn want to flip down all the way.

and it rips my ears off, producing bruising each time i take it off, and way hard to keep an earbud in my ear.

xricer 12-31-2010 12:02 PM

Hey guys, I have been looking at a few Scorpion helmets and was wondering how noisy they are? I commute 60 miles round trip mostly high speed. I try to wear earplugs but forget about them and take off. The helmet I have now is really noisy at high speeds. thanks

NRWhiteKnight 01-01-2011 10:10 AM

Mine is not too noisy. I have a Bell helmet and a Fulmer helmet, neither of which I use any longer and both my EXO-700's are more quiet. Even at a buck 25 on the track what ever wind noise there is is not bad. I hear more motor than wind on the track. lol

Shadow 01-06-2011 12:04 AM

Review from Bikeworld
Results are confusing........................read the owner responses at the end of the review
http://www.webbikeworld.com/r2/motor...pion/exo-1000/
At $139 I'd be a customer but at normal retail ($308)I can have a low end Arai or many other reputable helmets, including Bell, AGV, Premier, Shoei etc.
The sun visor is a good idea (if it works properly)
As for the air bladder unit, well, a properly fitted helmet shouldn't need one....? The weight is pretty high too at 4 lbs, and no matter what else is said, it WILL cause fatigue on a long trip - I had a Shoei Flip-front that was also around 4 lbs and compared to my old Arai Quantum F it felt like a brick........:eek:
Expensive mistake, that was........
Just my personal observations - helmets are one of the most controversial bits of kit one can buy, and everyone has an opinion......

MZ5 03-14-2011 04:49 PM

I'm a little late to the party here, but can anyone tell me about the EXO-1000's internal shape? I frequently get headaches from helmets pushing on my forehead, and an EXO-400 (for example) causes me instant pressure points on both my forehead and the back of my head, so it's obviously a much 'rounder' internal shape than what my head is. What do you owners think of the internal shape of the 1000? Round, slightly round, slightly narrow, narrow? Thanks.

kazspeed 03-14-2011 08:16 PM

The helmet is round.

When I wear the helmet for more than 30 minutes my forehead is red when I take it off. It is not uncomfortable though by any means. For some reason it just leaves a red line on my forehead, which leads me to believe it is more of a round shape than oval.

MZ5 03-15-2011 11:19 AM

Thanks for the feedback! In that case I'm going to stick with trying to make the swap to an Arai for now.