Product Reviews Review various motorcycle products you have used.

Paddock Stand (Bike Stand)

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2006, 01:35 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Paddock Stand (Bike Stand)

Like a few others on this forum, I was interested in getting a bike stand. There are a lot of different choices, and a lot of different prices and I was almost set on getting the cycle cat model for over $200.00. I was concerned about dropping my bike, since it does lean to the left while on the kickstand, and the cycle cat will pick the bike up from this position.

Well while visiting my Honda Dealer I discovered a stand made by dmp-parts for $70.00 called the S-Spec. It lifts the swing arm since spool type stands will not work on a 92F2. This stand is adjustable for width and is strong, for a few bucks more you can get an R-Spec aluminum version.

I asked to take the stand outside and see if i could lift my CBR by myself. They said sure and sent a guy with me just in case. My first try, I had the bike up in about 20 seconds. I went slow because I was not sure how heavy it would be or if the bike would want to tilt to one side or the other.

To make a long story short, I bought a less expensive stand than the cycle cat, although I may buy one in the future, it works great and I even made a few web pages to show how to use it. Basically all you do is get your CBR in a headlock around the seat and tail light area, and that's all you have to hold on to as long as you have the arm length and a little strength to keep the bike from tilting.
Check out the page I made here, it explains it better than I can do here.

http://www.mazdamiata.com/AAA/Motorc...tand_Demo.html

Old 05-29-2006, 01:47 AM
Retired Mod
Default RE: Paddock Stand (Bike Stand)

hey man, nice write up. i thought i'd give you a tip that i use. instead of "headlocking" the bike and muscling it up off the kickstand, place a piece of 2x4 under the kickstand. this will make the bike stand up straighter and easier to lift up. plus it eliminates the akwardness of lifting with one side of the race stand until it meets the other side. makes the one person lift much easier.

Old 05-29-2006, 02:51 PM
Default RE: Paddock Stand (Bike Stand)

ORIGINAL: NINE2NINE

hey man, nice write up. i thought i'd give you a tip that i use. instead of "headlocking" the bike and muscling it up off the kickstand, place a piece of 2x4 under the kickstand. this will make the bike stand up straighter and easier to lift up. plus it eliminates the akwardness of lifting with one side of the race stand until it meets the other side. makes the one person lift much easier.

Yes that is a good idea to use something to raise the kickstand up. I will amend my page and add your suggestion. Mind if I use your banner as the contributor of the advice? Also another way which I didin't include either, you can use tie down straps if your in a garage, throw them over the rafters and attach them to the handle bars and take out the slack, the bike will balance and you can slip the stand under the rear and lift away. I did my pages taking the pictures and setting the stand alone and on my dirt driveway, it was hard doing it with a self timer camera and trying to get the stand in the right position and not drop the bike because of my trying to be quick before the picture snapped.

When my girlfriend comes out, I will do it again in more detail and redo the pictures and use a concrete surface. I just wanted to show the few people that were wondering how it was done the way I do it.

Thanks again for your tip and I will ad it to my page tonight.