CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Product Reviews (https://cbrforum.com/forum/product-reviews-29/)
-   -   New Helmet rating system (https://cbrforum.com/forum/product-reviews-29/new-helmet-rating-system-134074/)

929Todd 02-01-2012 10:21 PM

New Helmet rating system

There is an interesting site that rates motorcycle helmets. They show how much protection is provided on all sides of a helmet. Check out the site SHARP Helmets - THE HELMET SAFETY SCHEME

With their highest rating on a on a Nitro Aikido I found one on Amazon for $62.83. I thought what the heck I give one a try and it is an awesome helmet. Fits like my Shoei. I have an egg shaped head and it is not too tight on the front and back like most cheap helmets and with the highest crash ratings, I feel good wearing it.

chambers 02-04-2012 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by 929Todd (Post 1128565)
There is an interesting site that rates motorcycle helmets. They show how much protection is provided on all sides of a helmet. Check out the site SHARP Helmets - THE HELMET SAFETY SCHEME

With their highest rating on a on a Nitro Aikido I found one on Amazon for $62.83. I thought what the heck I give one a try and it is an awesome helmet. Fits like my Shoei. I have an egg shaped head and it is not too tight on the front and back like most cheap helmets and with the highest crash ratings, I feel good wearing it.

I saw that rating system as well, also looked for the cheapest one that did the best and saw the Nitro. The price varies on amazon according to color and size, but I don't remember them being over $120 at the highest. I have a Scorpion Exo-700 which did ok w/ 4 stars, but the side impacts were in the orange. I'm just not sure if I want to order one as it seems getting accessories for it in the USA could be difficult. The Nitro looks very similar to the exo-700, how is the wind noise on it and does the visor fog up at all?

929Todd 02-04-2012 10:17 PM

I did get to use the helmet today. It was 30 degrees F and the visor did fog when I stopped. When moving it was not a problem, I just flipped it up when slowing. The wind noise was acceptable. I ordered a couple of smoke visors on Amazon for 5 bucks a visor. The helmet was very comfortable to wear all afternoon.

chambers 02-04-2012 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by 929Todd (Post 1129267)
I did get to use the helmet today. It was 30 degrees F and the visor did fog when I stopped. When moving it was not a problem, I just flipped it up when slowing. The wind noise was acceptable. I ordered a couple of smoke visors on Amazon for 5 bucks a visor. The helmet was very comfortable to wear all afternoon.

Cool, the fogging is the only thing that concerns me. The scorpion shields anti fog works really well. Do you have a link for the visors that fit the aikido on amazon? I might get one, how is the fit compared to other brands?

929Todd 02-05-2012 06:22 AM

Amazon.com: Nitro Modular Smoke Anti Scratch Lexan Shield: Automotive

Your Orders | Your Account | Amazon.com
Shipping Confirmation
Order #
Hello Todd ,
Thank you for shopping with us. We thought you'd like to know that we shipped your item, and that this completes your order. Your order is on its way, and can no longer be changed. If you need to return an item from this shipment or manage other orders, please visit Your Orders on Amazon.com.

Your estimated delivery date is:
Tuesday, February 7, 2012

Your order was sent to:

United States
Your package is being shipped by UPS and the tracking number is 70769. Depending on the ship speed you chose, it may take 24 hours for your tracking number to return any information.
Shipment Details
Nitro Modular Smoke Anti Scratch Lexan Shield
Sold by Amazon.com LLC (Amazon.com) $4.58

Item Subtotal: $4.58
Shipping & Handling: $2.66
Total Before Tax: $7.24
Shipment Total: $7.24
Paid by Mastercard: $7.24
You have only been charged for the items sent in this shipment. Per our policy,

chambers 02-05-2012 10:54 AM

That one says it's for modular helmets, the only one I found on amazon I thought might fit was the hellrazor shield b/c the hellrazor has the same quick change system as the aikido.

chambers 02-28-2012 03:56 PM

I picked up the the white/gunmetal/black one of amazon the other day it was like $56. I've worn it about 2 hours, it's loud, well maybe not loud but windy inside. It seems like a I can feel a whole lot of air moving over my face and eyes w/ it one. The vents on the nitro are also pretty crappy I can't really tell if they're open or closed. My exo-700 has much less wind/noise inside and the vents actually make a difference when you open and close them. The nitro has a ratcheting buckle retention system vs. the double d-ring on my scorpion. They could fix the wind noise if the face shield actually contacted the rubber seal b/c I think that is where most of it's coming from.

OP did you get your smoke face shield and did it fit? I ordered one w/ my helmet, it was listed for the hellrazor but they have the same quick release design so I think it will fit.

EDIT: The visor can be adjusted if you get this helmet and it's like mine, it's pretty much like the exo-700 in terms of how you do it. I did it and the wind on my face and noise is much better. The hellrazor shields fit, I think they're the same helmet just different graphics.