CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Product Reviews (https://cbrforum.com/forum/product-reviews-29/)
-   -   need brighter headlights... any suggestions? (https://cbrforum.com/forum/product-reviews-29/need-brighter-headlights-any-suggestions-8709/)

QuinC 02-05-2006 04:29 AM

need brighter headlights... any suggestions?

I was ridding tonight and hit a big ol pot hole.. I didn't even see it tell it was to late. So its time to upgrade the headlights! any suggestions? i'm looking for somthing as close to the sun as i can get. i dont care about color or looks i just want Bright!

Thanks

-Quinc

Calkidd 02-05-2006 05:48 AM

RE: need brighter headlights... any suggestions?

H.I.D. conversion kit or do you own. My HID is from a BMW, but I don't know what model.

Tahoe SC 02-05-2006 10:54 PM

you actually need a light that gives you good contrast on black asphalt...yellow is best but not too bright and only goes short distance. white is bright but horrible contrast against asphalt...that's why HIDs gotsa be so bright mang!
go with one white bulb and one yellow.

QuinC 02-07-2006 10:19 PM

ORIGINAL: Tahoe SC

you actually need a light that gives you good contrast on black asphalt...yellow is best but not too bright and only goes short distance. white is bright but horrible contrast against asphalt...that's why HIDs gotsa be so bright mang!

thats a good idea. i have three bulbs in my headlight so maybe 1 yellow and 2 whites? Where would i go to get them?

Thanks

-Quinc

johndoe 02-08-2006 01:34 AM

here is a little write up from the late great sirkbac http://cbr929rr.com/hid.htm

Tahoe SC 02-09-2006 01:53 AM

get bulbs on ebay, etc...
i'm running 1 phillips foul weather bulb and one silverstar in my highbeam. just aim the highbeam lower and the low beam higher...but not so much as to not have any highbeam.

Fretless33 02-09-2006 03:36 AM

ORIGINAL: QuinC

I was ridding tonight and hit a big ol pot hole.. I didn't even see it tell it was to late.
Were you wearing a tinted visor?, if so...use a clear visor at night and things won't be so likely to sneak up on you...

QuinC 02-09-2006 10:53 PM

ORIGINAL: Fretless33

I was ridding tonight and hit a big ol pot hole.. I didn't even see it tell it was to late.
Were you wearing a tinted visor?, if so...use a clear visor at night and things won't be so likely to sneak up on you...
nope

1998f3 02-11-2006 09:34 PM

I have Silverstars in my truck and they made a helluva difference. So I put 1 in my bike too. Works good. Not as bright as hid's, but more that stock or those cheap jap. bulbs that burn at like 10 million degrees and melt everything!!!!!! Did that before-no fun-very$$$$!!!!

Downforce137 03-06-2006 04:48 AM

def recommend silverstars.. have them in all my vehicles..

929_erion 03-06-2006 08:15 PM

+1 for HID

QuinC 03-10-2006 02:58 AM

where did you guys get your silverstars at?

13brsxsrr 03-14-2006 08:24 PM

ORIGINAL: Tahoe SC

Thats what I did and they work sick toether. Imade my high beam the hid so I can turn off/on.

Assassin 03-14-2006 08:56 PM

This is why the old Gixxers came with yellow on one side. I recommend the HID, my buddy has them on his 1000RR and they are the brightest lights I have ever seen in my life. I looked at them a week ago and my eyesight is now finally returning. I can ride behind him with my lights off and I still see great.

Crashbaby 05-04-2006 05:58 AM

What is a hid?

nkx 05-06-2006 04:41 AM

high intensity discharge- the bright ass blueish lights you see on bmw, mercedes benz, lexus, infinity, etc.

Krokus_92F2 05-14-2006 06:49 AM

ORIGINAL: johndoe

here is a little write up from the late great sirkbac http://cbr929rr.com/hid.htm
His website is awesome, never seen such attention to detail. It's a shame what happened to him though.

jjkukla 05-19-2006 06:08 PM

QuinC - Hey if you're not digging the cost associated with the HID kit, I put some Brite Lites xenon bulbs in last year and they are 100% better than stock. I believe they cost like $26/pair...

Cheaper option than HID. Not sure how they compare to Silverstars... never seen those.

doggy69 08-13-2006 02:42 PM

Dare i ask what happened?

Kewl Breeze 08-13-2006 06:54 PM

Edit: Nevermind. Just noticed this is an old thread.

+5 for Sylvania SilverStars (make sure to get the American version not the European Osram version that's not as white). I replaced all 3 (low and high) on mine and it makes a huge difference. Can't tell a big difference from HID's either and it's much less expensive (not to mention DOT approved and street legal unlike some HID kits).

You can get SilverStars at most any autoparts store like AutoZone or Advanced.

where did you guys get your silverstars at?

Glocker23 08-13-2006 10:48 PM

I had Piaa bulbs in my last car. My explorer that I have now has sylvania silverstars, but my bike I went back to PIAA extreme white bulbs. by far the best on the market other than of course HID.

guyomatic 08-21-2006 03:54 PM

Do you know what model PIAA bulbs would fit the CBR1000RR??

CBRinPDX 11-14-2006 04:53 AM

Be careful of the 100 watt PIAA and other super brights. These bulbs run much hotter and can damage your wiring harness. Also, these double the watt draw on your system and cause extra strain on the electrical components. Keep in mind the bike is designed to run 55watt bulbs, not 75 or 100's. But, hey, it's your ****, not mine. Do what ever makes you happy. If you do run the bad ass set up, look into NOKYA or PIAA harnesses. These can be found on ebay and are made for these bulb types.

CBRinPDX 11-15-2006 06:12 AM

The 954 takes H7 bulbs. I assume the 1000 uses the H7 as well. Not to sound like a smartass, the model/size don't change when you get an aftermarket bulb, just the element and glass.

Tahoe SC 11-15-2006 01:53 PM

don't go PIAAs...and don't go sylvania silverstars made in the US...go with OSRAM silverstars, which are made overseas in europe...last MUCH longer than sylvs made here in the states...at first when i hear about silverstars not lasting very long whatsoever, i was like...what? mine are dope..then i found out i got the OSRAM ones not sylvs made here...which i got for like $30 or so off a bimmer forum group buy.

also...check this thread out...bulb fact