Product Reviews Review various motorcycle products you have used.

my 208z vs. pilot powers review.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2006, 10:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default my 208z vs. pilot powers review.

I put about 4500 miles on my dunlops and i picked up a pilot powers rear tire after reading nothing but good reviews. so far the pilot powers are great but i have noticed one diffrence. I just did my first canyon ride this weekend, same canyon i have ridding dozens of times on my 208s and anyway when i ride the canyon i go fast enough in the corners that i drag the toe of my boots. Well with the 208s i could drag my toes all day and still have about 1/8 of an inch on the outside tire that i haven't touched yet. on the mpp's i only have about 1/16th of an inch left where i haven't used my tires.. does this mean that the 208s are wider or the mpp or skinnier? i dont know, but both rear tires are/where 190s. other then that the mpps are great tires and i never lost traction once, even going threw some dirty spots in the road.

Old 04-20-2006, 12:37 AM
Retired Mod
Default RE: my 208z vs. pilot powers review.

don't know if it's true or not, but i've always heard that dunlop's are taller than other same-size tires. if this is true, you would have to lean over farther to reach the edge. just a thought.

Old 04-20-2006, 01:30 AM

that makes since.

scared me a little when i saw how much tire i was using and i hadn't even hit my foot pegs yet [>:]

On the Michelin test track at Ladoux, France, riders were able to lean a Pilot Power-equipped bike to an amazing 41.9 degrees in corners - in full-wet conditions! In the dry, they achieved an equally remarkable 50.6-degree lean angle.

i cant find anything on what the 208 can lean at... but i'm guessing its more then 50.6.

Old 04-20-2006, 12:43 PM

So would you say the MPP are better, worse, equal to the 208s?

Do you think the MPP are worth the extra $$? (I can get a set of 208zr's for 170+shipping)

Thanks, I really need to get some new tires.

Old 04-20-2006, 01:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i've heard people complain about the 208s...saying they break loose, etc...
i went through 4 sets before switching to diablos. i've never had any issues with that tire.
yes, it has a taller profile, so you have more lean to go. it also makes the bike way flickable.

MPP are definitely a better tire than the out dated 208s...but don't be fooled by those who say the tires made them go faster when they are not at the top of their game. what happens is that a stickier tire only masks inadequacies in one's riding. the deal is to be ultra-smooth and pick good lines...not get a better or stickier tire so you can get away with bad throttle control, accelerating too early out of a turn, bad lines, etc.

stop dragging your toe in the canyons...get on your tippy toe, A$$ out of the seat and start dragging some knee. it'll make you go faster too and allow you to get through the turns faster with less lean...what imma trying 2 say is...HANG OFF LIKE A MONKEY!!

Old 04-20-2006, 04:18 PM

ORIGINAL: mcle6658

So would you say the MPP are better, worse, equal to the 208s?

Do you think the MPP are worth the extra $$? (I can get a set of 208zr's for 170+shipping)

Thanks, I really need to get some new tires.

yes the mpps are good tires. you can also pick them up at ronayers.com for 170 shipped so they are cheaper then the 208s and last longer

Old 04-20-2006, 04:21 PM

ORIGINAL: Tahoe SC

i've heard people complain about the 208s...saying they break loose, etc...
i went through 4 sets before switching to diablos. i've never had any issues with that tire.
yes, it has a taller profile, so you have more lean to go. it also makes the bike way flickable.

MPP are definitely a better tire than the out dated 208s...but don't be fooled by those who say the tires made them go faster when they are not at the top of their game. what happens is that a stickier tire only masks inadequacies in one's riding. the deal is to be ultra-smooth and pick good lines...not get a better or stickier tire so you can get away with bad throttle control, accelerating too early out of a turn, bad lines, etc.

stop dragging your toe in the canyons...get on your tippy toe, A$$ out of the seat and start dragging some knee. it'll make you go faster too and allow you to get through the turns faster with less lean...what imma trying 2 say is...HANG OFF LIKE A MONKEY!!

your right. i'm not saying they made me go any faster. i'm more worried that i might run out of tire. when i lean with my *** up and toes in it just doesn't feel right. but your right about it. i need to start doing that!

Thanks Tahoe!

Old 04-20-2006, 04:33 PM

Thanks for the opinions.

How did you find them at Ronayers for $170 shipped? They are showing $244 shipped for me. (120/70ZR17 & 180/55ZR17)

Thanks again.

Old 04-20-2006, 04:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no mang...i'm not saying you used the tire to mask anything...i'm sure you are faster on the tire though just based off confidence alone.
but pp IS a much better tire than 208

Old 04-20-2006, 05:19 PM

yeah i agree that its a better tire. i've had the 208 loose traction on me a few times. so far the pp has been great.

http://www.ronayers.com/co/sc.cfm plus 10$ shipping is 146. i only bougth the rear 190 tire.

can you get both 208s for 170?

Quick Reply: my 208z vs. pilot powers review.