Product Reviews Review various motorcycle products you have used.

MICHELIN POWER PILOT

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007 | 08:59 PM
Default RE: MICHELIN POWER PILOT

I have the Qualifiers on my bike (2005 600RR) and absolutely love em'. You're going to hear both good things and bad things about the different tires out there. Although, I've heard alot of good things about the Pilot Powers. I'm probally going to need some new tires here before too long. I've been checking out the new Michelin 2CT's, anybody have those? But my Dunlops haven't let me down, so I may just end up getting a new/same set of Q's.

Old 03-16-2007 | 03:29 PM

well...liter bikes eat up tires regardless of which kind...qualifiers, diablos, powers, etc.

the 2CT will be much better than the qualifiers cause they are more along the lines of a track tire that's ok to use on the street, vs. the regular PPs that are designed more of a street tire that's ok for the track...so 2CT is like the corsa...while regular PP is like the diablo.

Old 03-16-2007 | 05:18 PM

Not in this case. One mate rides a 1000 and he got around 3k km out of the Q compared to his normal 5k km out of the Power. Another mate rides a Triumph Sprint and his mileage on the Q was well down on the Power too. (I got 4k km out of the D208RR which was the predecessor to the Q). We all ride the twisties pretty hard.

When my rears wear out they're evenly worn all round so I sure won't be going for a Power 2CT.

Old 03-16-2007 | 07:21 PM

muhahahah...i just noticed your units are in km and not miles...muahahahaha...those tires are being pushed way hard!

Old 03-16-2007 | 07:32 PM

Yeah well, what's a bike for? ;-}

Conditions affect the wear rate of course. High speed running, hot weather, abrasive surfaces .. all raise the rate markedly.

Old 03-16-2007 | 07:57 PM

tru dat...
here we save that type of riding for the track...too many crazies in the twists...noobs, cars, etc. all crossing the centerline at the same time, etc.

didn't you post awhile back saying your twists down there were clear and rarely travelled by cars, etc. and is very close to your house?

Old 03-16-2007 | 08:11 PM

As far as breaking the tires in...when I ride my bike home from the stealer, I'll "sway" back n forth until I get home. It's only like a 1.6 mile ride, lol. Then I'll use some brake parts cleaner and rub the tires down, then scrub with soap and water, and rinse off. That seems to help out alot. Even then, they're not completely broke in, which brings me to...the day after I got my tires put on, we went to the AMA races at Mid-Ohio, and being with Honda, we got to take a couple laps around the track. They had a set speed limit, with an employee in the front and back, but like through the "S curves" and "the Keyhole", hell around the whole track, it was killing me cuz I couldn't "lay into" them like I wanted to. Needless to say, when my tires were broke in, I went back to the track for a "track day"! I was at the stealer bsing with the guys, and some guy came in and had those 2CT's (Medium/Soft) thrown on his bike (1000RR), well, before they threw them on, Dave<the guy with the bike, and I were looking over the tires. Out of the "box", they already feel like they're broke in. They're so sticky. Made me jealous! and that's when I started looking into them. I've been a Dunlop fan for years, but I'm telling ya', those 2CT's are luring me into becoming a Michelin Man, lol. Oh, rsser, how's the riding in Australia? Some buddies and I were talking about going there for vacation sometime.

Old 03-16-2007 | 08:14 PM

Sho did.

Yeah, we're lucky down here. Not hard to put together a route of 400km of mainly backroad twisties where police are rare and cars don't cramp your style too much.

Of courseit takes a cool head and a well fettled bike to ride them fast. We have a few slides but serious injuries are rare. Most of our fastest riders in the club do track days and transfer the techniques to the road.

Old 03-16-2007 | 08:53 PM

i think we need your crew to test the M3s to see how they hold up...it's only fair! you guys go through more rubber per year than some guys who have owned the bike for many years.

you can be cbrforum's official testers. of course, you won't be paid. i may be able to get your some stickers though ;-)

Old 03-16-2007 | 10:04 PM

What, no sponsorship? Sigh.

A few of us have run the M1s when they were on a run-out deal. Found them so-so. Feel like a Pilot Road but nowhere near the life.

Some of our gun riders like the Corsas.

05RR, riding's good down here. Pick your season - Spring and Autumn (Fall) are best. We're a big country like you and there are some fine tours you can do with plenty of mountain scenery in the states of NSW, Victoria and Tasmania. Other states I can't speakfor. There's a detailed guide to good roads in Victoria on the club site (link below) and the site also has a link to a riders guide to Tasmania.

Conditions are said to be similar to the US but we try to stick to the left side of the road.

Quick Reply: MICHELIN POWER PILOT