Product Reviews Review various motorcycle products you have used.

Metzeler M-3

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2006, 06:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Metzeler M-3 (got them!)

last week I had my tyres changed and went for the Metzeler M3. (My previous set was BT010.)
I did about 150km to run them in and then arrived at my favority twisties where I did my
evaluation.
The geometry of the M3 is such that the bike (F4i) now leans faster. The tyre warms up quickly.
When it gets to its working temperature, you can feel the excellent grip. It gives confidence and
accuracy. It maitains the line at all times.
When it is pushed to the limit, it will not lose traction at once and scare you. It is very predictable.
I did not test it on the wet. I just went over some wet spots on the road, and the grip was good.
The pressure I use is Front34psi Rear38psi cold.
Another thing is, when the tyre is cold (the first 3-5minutes in the city) there is not anything special
about grip, but it is not crap either. (tested on sliperry, worn asphalt mostly)
The ride feels soft enough, softer than the battlax ones..

After about 650km, i'm still very satisfied.

Old 02-17-2006, 03:09 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Metzeler M-3 (got them!)

yo mang...were you hard on the tires? you tires too airy for twists mang...

i have no doubts about m3s stickiness, just have doubts about how long the ***** will last since m1s don't last long at all!

what do you mean about pushing to the limit of the tire? how exactly did you do that?

Old 02-18-2006, 02:53 AM

i k now if the new motorcyclist mag they reviewed the m3's but I haven't read it yet lol...I'll post when I have time to read it on the throne or anyone else with the mag can share with us lol

Old 02-18-2006, 01:26 PM

I thought that the metzlers and the pirelli's are owned by same company and share compounds ,but with different tread patterns and different manufacturing locations. Metzlers are made in germany.

Old 02-18-2006, 03:03 PM

ORIGINAL: Tahoe SC

yo mang...were you hard on the tires? you tires too airy for twists mang...

i have no doubts about m3s stickiness, just have doubts about how long the ***** will last since m1s don't last long at all!

what do you mean about pushing to the limit of the tire? how exactly did you do that?
yeah, i agree I wanted to see the warm up time with this kind of pressure.
The guy at the tyre shop believes they will last a couple more k miles compared to the M1s. But thats just an opinion..

pushing the tyre to the limit is a relative thing i have to admit. You see some kind of tyre limitations when you enter a corner with higher than you can handle speed and while already leaned, you let the front tyre 'push' a bit to lose some speed.. Its a mistake but it can happen and it gives me an idea about the grip under difficult situations.
Another limit test, is the exit from a corner's apex with hard acceleration.. having said that, all those tests give the limit only for a given set of conditions (road,temperature,humidity etc)

Old 02-19-2006, 11:47 PM

yo mang...um...you're tests really don't show the limits of the tire but your limits mang...
i need something MORE!

Old 02-20-2006, 03:55 AM

true.. its not like a proper test procedure or something but again if i'm not in the track there's not much i can see really..
how do you usually bring them to their limit?

Old 02-21-2006, 01:09 PM

i let the pros take care of that!
as far as mahself...the only way to test the tires and how they adjust/respond to my input is to push it...but things like the pucker factor doesn't affect the tire, only me.
so things like sliding, etc...may not be about the tire reaching the limits, but rather, too much input or not being smooth, etc. by me. i think that as a rider gets better, he/she is able to cope with whatever shortcomings of the equipment. so like rossi could use 207s on the track and get better times than anyone else without reaching the limit of the tire i guess...but since you are consistent in your riding style, then i guess we can tell how well the tires stick since you are consistent. but if you're better today than you were 3 months ago...then it could just be you getting better you know? FACK...what the hell did i just type.

yes...i believe they are dope tires, ultra stick and all, but i'm really wary of the wear on them since the m1s last like nothing.

Old 03-11-2006, 12:11 PM

Hi guys,

I'am from Holland, and thinking to buy this tyre could somebody tell me if they have bin tested...?

and wher to find the test thanks

Jeff

Old 03-11-2006, 01:49 PM

I just picked up the Dunlop Qualifiers. I got around 200 miles on them. Man, NOTHING like the 208's!!!! These things are AWESOME!!!! Well worth the money. Plus, I got the HOOK up on em!!! Everyone in town is sellin em for like 240 or so for the rear and 189 for the front! I got mine for 151 for the rear and 118 for the front!!! Awesome shop here in wichita TOO!!!

Quick Reply: Metzeler M-3