CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Product Reviews (https://cbrforum.com/forum/product-reviews-29/)
-   -   A complete fool when it comes to protection :) (https://cbrforum.com/forum/product-reviews-29/complete-fool-when-comes-protection-106309/)

Quick6 02-22-2010 09:35 AM

A complete fool when it comes to protection :)

Alright .. So I have been looking at some gear for this coming summer.. although I just bought my bike I dont have anything aside from a helmet and carbon reinforced gloves .. so with that said... Leather or Textile Jacket? corrisponding Pants ? I will do some winter riding next year to and from work when its warm but mostly just summer riding .. and I am not planning on riding like a ass and putting my bike in the ditch at 100mph but I want to be protected enough that I don't have road rash all up and down my body..... will textile do the job ? or should I just go for leather?"honestly the only reason behind considering the textile is due to the mobility and design's I have been looking at."

Kuroshio 02-22-2010 10:58 AM

Hey there. Need a lil more info like where ya, what's your experience and how you plan to ride (daily commuter, short road trips, twisties, etc). You should swing by the new member area and give an intro.

Also what's your budget? Not that it should matter much. Saving your hide is priceless but then you can get a great jacket for $200 or an awesome jacket for $800 that'll have people drooling.

PlayfulGod 02-22-2010 12:04 PM

umm do I know you?????????

Quick6 02-22-2010 12:09 PM

I'll do so!! but Ill answer here too .. I live in New Mexico .. So its hot as **** 70% of the year... I plan to do all forms of riding .. primarily commute however on weekends I'm looking at doing some spirited canyon runs and the like .. the bike is a 05 CBR 600RR with a 2" lowering link in the rear and the front tubes dropped in the tripple clamp by 1.5".. racing compounds for rubber and a full yosh exhaust... as far as budget is concerned .. I dont care as long as I can get great protection....

Quick6 02-22-2010 12:10 PM

I know alot of people .. specifics?

Kuroshio 02-22-2010 01:20 PM

Add boots to your list.
If you're looking at spirited riding and commuting, you prolly want to think about more than one set of gear. What's good for commuting and trips around town won't be good for mixing it up in the twisties. PG is better at recommending gear for spirited rides.

In the city, textile w/ kevlar jeans should cover you. You shouldn't be hitting speeds and leans to exceed that level of protection. At least not on city streets if you have sense ;). I prefer leather jackets and will just sweat it out. Tho really didn't notice the heat unless I was stuck in traffic. When moving, a good leather jacket with venting will be as cool as anything else. Optional will be underarmor shorts or pants. Rash hurts but so does landing on your hip or tailbone.

Basically gear isn't all that difficult. The best protection will be a full suit with pucks, underarmor and a back protector. Starting from there the more protection you give up, the more performance you must give up on the bike to remain protected. You just have to find the compromise between protection, comfort and styling (in that order of importance). And accept the consequences of that decision. With my current set of gear (jacket, gloves, helmet and boots) I have no intentions of going beyond riding through the city. Looking at longer trips this season, I'll be adding kevlar / leather pant and underarmor.

Next season, exploring PA for the fun roads will find me in a full suit.