[CBR125R] Starting my "Wrenching" Career

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 11:17 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default [CBR125R] Starting my "Wrenching" Career

Hi Ladies and Gentlemen,

I'll be the first to acknowledge that short of changing tyres and adding/changing fluids to my car, I'm a useless mechanic. However, I would like to start learning, specifically about my bike (A 2007 Honda CBR125R). I should also note I just started my riding career, not 2 months ago. I passed my Motorcycle Safety Course (mandatory here), but it doesn't teach anything past knowing where your headlights and blinkers are :P.

The problem's backstory:

The Problem:
The clutch handle & mirror were sheared off the bike + the blinker being damaged. The blinker is a bit weird. The indicator remains solid if I signal towards the damaged blinker, but blinks normally if signaling the other way. Is this an electrical issue?) Additionally, the bike is idling pretty rough (like noticeable shaking up and down. Not sure what is causing that either.) The problem is, I don't know what I need to replace, and what comes included in the various kits from Honda. I'd like to do as much without the assistance of a mechanic (although I do have a family friend I can [probably] reach out to [who works on motorcycles and cars]).

Here is what I know. I need a replacement clutch handle. The mirror itself it still OK, but the thing it was mounted to, was torn off the bike (A metal bit. I'll post pics of what I'm talking about). I looked into
, which seems easy enough to do, and I know I'll need to

When I spoke to Honda on the phone, they were concerned about potentially needing to replace the bracket? Not sure what that is (or is it the thing my mirror was mounted to?), or if it's Honda trying to sell a currently useless part to me, or more likely me just not explaining it correctly [to them].

Input is appreciated! (I'm Canadian, by the way. So most American links should be fine!)

Photos of the damage: https://imgur.com/a/tIYZbgG

Old 08-20-2018, 12:50 PM

I didn't realize that the videos messed up the actual text.

Originally Posted by Woldraxe
Hi Ladies and Gentlemen,

I'll be the first to acknowledge that short of changing tyres and adding/changing fluids to my car, I'm a useless mechanic. However, I would like to start learning, specifically about my bike (A 2007 Honda CBR125R). I should also note I just started my riding career, not 2 months ago. I passed my Motorcycle Safety Course (mandatory here), but it doesn't teach anything past knowing where your headlights and blinkers are :P.

The problem's backstory:
I dropped the bike in a low speed turn. [Video SFW]

The Problem:
The clutch handle & mirror were sheared off the bike + the blinker being damaged. The blinker is a bit weird. The indicator remains solid if I signal towards the damaged blinker, but blinks normally if signaling the other way. Is this an electrical issue?) Additionally, the bike is idling pretty rough (like noticeable shaking up and down. Not sure what is causing that either.) The problem is, I don't know what I need to replace, and what comes included in the various kits from Honda. I'd like to do as much without the assistance of a mechanic (although I do have a family friend I can [probably] reach out to [who works on motorcycles and cars]).

Here is what I know. I need a replacement clutch handle. The mirror itself it still OK, but the thing it was mounted to, was torn off the bike (A metal bit. I'll post pics of what I'm talking about). I looked into replacing the clutch lever, which seems easy enough to do, and I know I'll need to re-adjust the clutch cable potentially.

When I spoke to Honda on the phone, they were concerned about potentially needing to replace the bracket? Not sure what that is (or is it the thing my mirror was mounted to?), or if it's Honda trying to sell a currently useless part to me, or more likely me just not explaining it correctly [to them].

Input is appreciated! (I'm Canadian, by the way. So most American links should be fine!)

Photos of the damage:

Old 08-21-2018, 07:00 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

If the signal on the broken side is broken, then the relay won't have the necessary load to blink.
By bracket, do they mean the fairing stay? Thanks the metal part that the upper fairing and mirrors bolt to. You will need to make the call as to how to repair it.

Looking at the crash video, do you know what went wrong? It's unfortunate that it happened, but there is a lot to learn from it so it doesn't happen again.

It's called "target fixation" followed by your survival instincts kicking in. You were looking right at the curb, and that's where you went. Then as you were fixated on the curb, you probably cut any throttle, grabbed brake and locked your body. It's a natural way to react, but all the wrong things to do. Instead, look at where you want to go and have confidence that you will go there, stay relaxed, and roll on the throttle so the bike will rotate as you make the turn.

Old 08-21-2018, 07:51 AM

Originally Posted by 74demon
If the signal on the broken side is broken, then the relay won't have the necessary load to blink.
By bracket, do they mean the fairing stay? Thanks the metal part that the upper fairing and mirrors bolt to. You will need to make the call as to how to repair it.

Looking at the crash video, do you know what went wrong? It's unfortunate that it happened, but there is a lot to learn from it so it doesn't happen again.

It's called "target fixation" followed by your survival instincts kicking in. You were looking right at the curb, and that's where you went. Then as you were fixated on the curb, you probably cut any throttle, grabbed brake and locked your body. It's a natural way to react, but all the wrong things to do. Instead, look at where you want to go and have confidence that you will go there, stay relaxed, and roll on the throttle so the bike will rotate as you make the turn.
Hi 74Demon,

I appreciate the response. Yes, the fairing stay is what I'm referring to. The parts person I spoke to on the phone called it a bracket. I just wanted to be sure what the name actually is. I took a look at the bulb today in the blinker, and it appears undamaged, so I'm guessing a wire is loose somewhere along the way.

What you've described is exactly what happened. I let the throttle out, clutch in and lightly hit the brakes as I got close to the sand right next to the curb in an effort to slow down & complete the turn (and probably stared at their curb thinking "Please don't hit it, please don't hit it" to myself...).

It'll be a couple weeks until I'm allowed to move the bike due to medical restrictions (I was unharmed in the crash aside from Road rash along the knee. I did have surgery the next day though, and have a 5lb weight limit.) However, once I embark on attempting to fix it, I'll post some updates! I'll order in the parts today, just to have them on hand when I get the all clear from my surgeon.

However, it's a cheap lesson with minimal injuries, and I still get to ride on. Can't ask for a better outcome than that!

Old 08-22-2018, 11:37 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Woldraxe
What you've described is exactly what happened. I let the throttle out, clutch in and lightly hit the brakes as I got close to the sand right next to the curb in an effort to slow down & complete the turn (and probably stared at their curb thinking "Please don't hit it, please don't hit it" to myself...).
Exactly all the wrong things to do, with the only outcome being what happened. When you let out the throttle, pulled the clutch, and hit the brakes, the physics of it all will send you wide. With time in the saddle you will see that more throttle and a good flick will make it turn tighter. You will need to train your brain to look at the desired line through the turn and have the confidence to give all the right imputs so the bike will perform as it's designed to.

Glad to hear that you were not hurt too seriously. When you are able to ride again, things are going to feel sketchy for a bit. Your survival instincts are in overdrive with the crash still fresh. Try to relax and focus on improving skills and doing the right stuff so you can move forward with your new passion.

Old 08-30-2018, 05:17 PM

I'm back! I've mostly fixed it and I'm still trying to do all the work myself. (I'll have my family friend look at it after I'm "done" with the repairs, just to make sure.

Here's what I've managed to repair/replace so far.

Clutch Bracket (Fairing Stay, the Aluminum piece that holds the mirror as well).
Clutch Lever + Wiring.
Indicators.

When I tore apart the damaged bracket, there was a black wire connected to it. It's the wire that checks whether or not the clutch is engaged (and hence can or cannot start the bike if it's in gear.)

My poor diagram: https://imgur.com/a/9rzY6qp

Any idea what it's actually called so I can find out how to remove it? (Or, any idea how to remove it?)

Thank-you for all your help!

Old 08-31-2018, 10:52 AM
Super Moderator
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

That'll be the clutch switch. Those black wires are blade connectors, so if you grasp firmly and pull straight out, they should come free. The switch itself is usually attached to the bottom of the left-hand controls by two bolts. It should be a $15 part, but easy to test with a multimeter if you're looking for a beginner-friendly intro to electrical diagnosis

You'd just set the multimeter to continuity (ohms, the funny greek 'O' thing) and put a probe on each terminal. It should show '-' or no continuity. Then push the switch and you'll see numbers on the screen and they should drop to zero. They might bounce around a bit if the probes are moving

If both wires are the same color, you don't need to worry about getting them backwards on reassembly. It won't matter for this type of switch

Good job so far. We all start somewhere

Old 08-31-2018, 11:05 AM
Super Moderator
Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Also for looking up parts, online fiche is an awesome resource. If you familiarize yourself with what you need beforehand, your parts guy will 100% appreciate it, and it's good stuff if you're trying to get a sense of how things go together. Ideally used alongside a manual

This link should work for your model

https://www.cmsnl.com/honda-cbr125rw.../#.W4lmFs5KiUk

Old 08-31-2018, 01:42 PM

Originally Posted by tentacleslap
That'll be the clutch switch. Those black wires are blade connectors, so if you grasp firmly and pull straight out, they should come free. The switch itself is usually attached to the bottom of the left-hand controls by two bolts. It should be a $15 part, but easy to test with a multimeter if you're looking for a beginner-friendly intro to electrical diagnosis

You'd just set the multimeter to continuity (ohms, the funny greek 'O' thing) and put a probe on each terminal. It should show '-' or no continuity. Then push the switch and you'll see numbers on the screen and they should drop to zero. They might bounce around a bit if the probes are moving

If both wires are the same color, you don't need to worry about getting them backwards on reassembly. It won't matter for this type of switch

Good job so far. We all start somewhere
Ah yes,

I was curious how much force was required to remove it. My dad was having problems removing it yesterday. I removed the electrical part, then stuck it in a vice and used a screwdriver to force it out (undamaged). It's been reinstalled on the new bracket (had to disassemble everything I had done, but you live and learn). Need to re-measure the free play as I messed with the clutch again (see below).

I had it out briefly (1.7K's (~1 mile), to the store and back) just to see if I could "detect" anything else wrong with it (handling, electrical, burning smells). The only two other things I noticed were a "clicking" sound that got faster as I went faster - and a slight smell of something burning. The latter I'm guessing was an incorrectly adjusted clutch.

Once I re-re-adjust the clutch freeplay, I'll grab a trailer and tow the bike to my buddy's place. Hopefully he'll be able to figure out what is burning (assuming it's not my clutch) and find the clicking problem.

Thank-you 74Demon and tentacleslap for your assistance!

Old 09-08-2018, 03:50 PM

Oops! I could've sworn I'd updated this...

So good news, the "clicking" sound was my chain being very dirty. Cleaned it, lubed it and now all is well. Burning smell hasn't returned yet. Refilled the Coolant reservoir with premixed fluid from Honda (it was dangerously low!) No leaks, and the Engine oil is fine.

Been messing around with the Electrical aspects of the bike (I'm working on installing a small underglow kit, just to see how I "like it". It'll be interesting to see if the police pull me over. *yes, I asked if it was legal first. It is, provided the lights are not Blue and/or Red! However that took 3 phone calls that ended with me talking to the Inspector General for Motor Vehicles for our province.*)

I bought a cheap kit, not the fancy brand name stuff. Solid LED Strips, with generic (coloured and insulated) copper wiring. No ends. Figured out the Fuse I want to use is the 10A fuse closest to the pillion seat (The one that controls the head lights). Still trying to figure out how I can connect the new wires to the existing. (Can I just tug on the wires already in the fuse, re-crimp them if necessary, and stick them back in?) I need to slice more wiring onto two of the strips as they're currently not long enough anyways. The other are already placed, just awaiting wiring. (They both work. I tested them by directly placing them on the battery. Don't want to kill it though!)

Cheers,
Michael