CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Other Models (125, 250, 400) (https://cbrforum.com/forum/other-models-125-250-400-66/)
-   -   CBR 250r first wreck - won't start (https://cbrforum.com/forum/other-models-125-250-400-66/cbr-250r-first-wreck-wont-start-142243/)

ewilli 09-26-2012 10:50 AM

CBR 250r first wreck - won't start

Hey all,

I'm new here (wrong thread, I know), and I am pretty new to the biking world and was hoping to get some insight from those of you who have more experience.

The other night I was riding my 2011 Honda CBR 250r at night on one of my favorite windy roads. I took a turn too fast and while I was bringing the bike up to brake, I applied the brakes too early and she slid on her left side and into a grassy bank. Luckily I am fine and really only have a raspberry on my knee (thank God for good gear), but now I can not get my bike to start. It seems to me that most of the damage is cosmetic. The fairings are scratched up and some are slightly bent as well as my left turn signal isn't securely fastened (it is dangling a little bit and the wires are exposed). The left footrest was ripped off in the wreck and the shifter seems to be a little bent, but I was still able to shift gears and everything. The clutch was rotated around, and seems a little bent, but still is engaging when I pull on it. All turn signals, brake lights, and console lights are working, but when I press the starter, there is nothing. It doesn't make any attempt to turn over or even a click like I've come to expect. I'm not sure if this matters, but she was probably on her side for ~5 min before I stood her back up.

I am probably one of the biggest newbies you will run into and have very little mechanical knowledge, but any and all suggestions are welcome. I really want to get back on my bike and get her fixed back up so I can continue to enjoy my new hobby.

Please and thank you!

ewilli 09-26-2012 01:33 PM

After working on it for a while with a friend of mine today we got it up and running and I gave it a quick spin around the block, so it appears to be working fine. However, my local Honda service center said they are a week and a half backed up, and I would prefer to not have to wait that long to ride it again. Is removing the base of the footrest and attaching a new one a complicated task? I imagine it should be relatively simple...

wes 17 09-26-2012 04:53 PM

Road rash for the newbie !!. Now your no newbie !!. As for the bends.....slower in....is faster out,..set yourself up, correct road position, correct gear, look where you wanna go, hit the apex and give it the beanz. To loose the newbie totally you got to repair the bike yourself. Get the spanners out, its only a footrest, and do it yourself. Have a good look at the gear lever, if its too bent replace it, if its only minor , whip it off, use a vice and tweek it a little to put back into shape. Best of luck with all this....sure you`ll cope and well done for getting to get back on !!

UalRamper 09-26-2012 05:20 PM

Welcome to the world of biking............you are now an official member.

Do your self a favor and get the service manual, you really should do as much work as you can your self.

God forbid you are out on a ride with no clue how to do anything.

jasonchristopher 10-09-2012 04:24 AM

both of these gentlemen are dead on with they're comments, so i wont take any other space up, other than jumping off of one your comments on "good gear"...
i'm glad to hear you had gear on, i try and say it whenevr the moment presents itself... and good for you, that you learned first hand, wearing the rightr gear will allow you to just brush yuourself off in the right instances... i would def go the cheapest route of repair and go buy that jacket you've probably been eyeing for a few months at your local shop, trust me it will be a purchase that will pay up back everytime you put it on...
i liked reading this tread this morning thanks. have a good week.. jay