CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Other Models (125, 250, 400) (https://cbrforum.com/forum/other-models-125-250-400-66/)
-   -   CBR 125 R Solid Red Brake Light (https://cbrforum.com/forum/other-models-125-250-400-66/cbr-125-r-solid-red-brake-light-157938/)

Owl 07-19-2018 10:04 AM

CBR 125 R Solid Red Brake Light

Update: Fixed :) The rear brake switch was frayed.

Hey all. I'm having some issues with my Motorbike and was hoping some of you might be able to help me out?

My Motorbike seems to be breaking a lot recently. First, it was no power at all, turned out my 30a main fuse had blown. After replacing that my power burst back into life. I now have two more problems:

1. My rear brake light is showing solid red (bright). Pressing the brake lever and handle has no effect on the light.
2. There seems to be a power drain. When I have the engine running I am only producing 11.5 volts, the recommended vaults needed to charge the battery should be 13+ so I am losing power with the engine running. I suspect this might be tied in with issue N1.

Any idea what could be causing these issues? any help would be greatly appreciated

74demon 07-19-2018 10:54 AM

Check to see if your front or rear brake switches is stuck. The rear pull switch can get gummed up easily. You an unplug them one at a time to see if it makes a difference, then fix that switch.

When you are checking the voltage, are you doing it at idle or 5k RPM?

Owl 07-19-2018 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by 74demon (Post 1316247)
Check to see if your front or rear brake switches is stuck. The rear pull switch can get gummed up easily. You an unplug them one at a time to see if it makes a difference, then fix that switch.

When you are checking the voltage, are you doing it at idle or 5k RPM?

Just checked the switches no luck :(
I checked the voltage in neuteral / idle and also gave it a few revs. Idle it's showing around 11.5 volts, when I rev it to around 5000 rpm the voltage goes up to around 12.2.

Edit: Not sure if this is an indicator of a fault or not, I checked the switches again and also unpluged the rear switch, when I unplug the rear switch the light dims again. The front lever does not seem to register with or without the rear switch unplugged.
I will try unplugging the front switch completely and check the pins and let you know how it goes.
Edit 2: Disconnected the front switch, light continues to stay on (bright).
Will also upload a short video of the problem

CaBaRet 07-19-2018 11:59 AM

Are you carbed or injected

Owl 07-19-2018 12:51 PM

Originally Posted by CaBaRet (Post 1316249)
Are you carbed or injected

I believe it's fuel injected

74demon 07-19-2018 01:22 PM

When you unplugged the rear switch, the light went off. I'd say your problem is in the rear switch.

Owl 07-19-2018 01:48 PM

Found the problem guys.The rear brake had a frayed wire to the switch. Thanks for all your help!

Owl 07-19-2018 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by 74demon (Post 1316253)
When you unplugged the rear switch, the light went off. I'd say your problem is in the rear switch.

Thanks very much for your help Demon, you were right about it being the rear switch. The wire was fraying, I gave it a small twist and the whole thing came apart. Going to buyself a new one now.