400 Newbie Intro

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2014, 04:36 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking 400 Newbie Intro

Sup Guys, Girls, Men Women & and all other species

So after totaling my Nc30 just over a year ago, I managed to get my paws on a CBR 400R..

It starts, its runs, it sometimes dies, but never the less its 2 wheels

So the fun begins...

I like the unique custom look....below is what the bike currently looks like.....and also what my plan is somewhat over the next few months...with the help of Photoshop and Illustrator

Now before some of you want to slaughter me, as I know many people prefer the standard colours/looks....so do I, but I seem to like going the custom way as well.

Concerns:

- When riding the bike there a knocking noise from the front left side, sounds like the caliper thats loose or something.
- Front forks are leaking some fork oil
- Theres some rust in the Petrol Filter
- There's no Fuel pump
- Front Light bracket is broken
- Air ducts are cracked
- Clutch cable is too long
- Screen is cracked
- Kick stand is bent

But no worries, we will get to everything in time.

The plan is to get the Tank Done first and get all the corrosion out and get it re-lined
Then try and source a Fuel Pump
Get the carbs cleaned and add new filter
Initially wanted carbon fairings, but its too pricey, so I will possibly look at getting them carbon wrapped
Finished the artwork for the stickers this morning, so I need to get a price on that still
The clutch cable is from a NC23 so I think its slightly longer, so I have to try and route it in such a way that its short enough
Then all the small stuff after.

I am by no means an expert, and I'm not very familiar with this bike.
I have a Haynes manual for the NC30, and need to maybe source one for this bike, as I dont think the NC30's one will work(Please let me know if you know if some of the setups are similar)

I hope to keep this thread updated.

And I hope You all are able to assist me with this cleanup where possible

Name:  2013-10-02160003_zpsea39a8cd.jpg
Views: 49
Size:  90.7 KB

Future Look

Name:  bikemineCarbon_zpsab64bdcc.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  142.0 KB

Old 01-27-2014, 11:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

damn looks good, can't wait to see it all done. Get to it man! lol

Old 01-28-2014, 01:06 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Though the model is unfamiliar to me (no 400cc bikes here) your plan does look tasty! I'm not entirely sure what carbon wrapped means, quick googling states it's a some kind of a vinyl sticker? One possible and probably much more durable option is getting them hydrodipped in CF pattern. Not sure about how much a complete set would cost to do, but I bet it will last longer than a sticker.

Old 01-28-2014, 05:02 AM
Welcome Crew Technician
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Rust in the filter is no big deal, its pretty much the inside of the filter itself thats probably rusting, the internals is just paper fins. Just get a new one. As far as getting the tank relined well that may be overkill. How long did this bike sit do you know? Did it sit with a full tank of gas or was it drained? If you say your filter is toast, then its a possibility that bad gas made its way through your carbs, So getting them cleaned is a must. 3rd, I am not sure if that bike comes with a pump or not but if not you could always save the money and switch to a gravity fed system. Saves money you would spend on a fuel pump, also its one less thing to go wrong in the future. Can always depend on gravity to not break down . Unless you are talking serious rust build up more than 1/4 inch in rust inside and you can physically feel the wall of the tank being weak from so much metal wear, then I wouldnt worry to much about getting it re lined. You could use something like RedKote, but more than likely just a thorough cleaning with some vinegar or other rust removing product should suffice. For the clutch cable did you try to adjust on the side and the top at the lever? Most of your adjustment should be coming on the side by the cover. But you can probably gain an inch or so from the fine tune at the lever. If still nothing, just try routing it around a bolt somewhere on your front end to make upt he slack. Good luck bud and get crackin!