Other Bike Chat Discuss other makes and models of bikes made by Honda, or competing brands.

Your First and Latest...

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2007, 01:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Your First and Latest...

So as I'm sure others are as curious as I am I figured this would be a great topic. Especially for those of us thinking about getting a new or bigger bike.

So what was the first bike that you started out with? Any regrets? Pros and cons? How long was it before you decided to upgrade to what you have now? Could you tell a big difference?

Maybe we'll get some good storys out of this too.

Old 07-08-2007, 09:27 AM
Default RE: Your First and Latest...

I started on this 929rr, it had 14k on the clock and has a bit over 28000 on it now, just 4 months later. I don't regret starting on a huge bike, but i see how it wasn't a good idea. I had many many too many to count close calls the first few weeks.

I can ride wheelies after only 4 months on the bike, and that probably woulnd't have happened if i started on a Ninja250. The 929 is a wheelie machine, dips in the road cause wheelies under acceleration, hard accel alone wheelies the bike. The bike's basically so powerful for just street riding that i could literally never leave 2nd gear and still rack up speeding tickets. Going to WOT on this bike is no joke, you really have to hang on or the bike will leave you, and after only a few seconds of WOT, you will be well over 100mph. It's a lot of bike for a guy 5'10 135lbs with no previous experience.

I don't regret it because i'm still alive, and haven't crashed or dropped it yet. Many many many people aren't so lucky as me, so i count my blessings, haha. Even after spending hours and hours rididng almost everyday for months, i still don't feel i have total control over my bike when i ride. I mean i can ride circles around 90% of the riders i see out on the roads, but starting on a big *** bike makes it so that you won't know the limits. I can take a turn with good speed and lean, but i don't know how much more speed and lean i could do because this isn't a bike im willing to push to the limit.

The biggest pro of this purchase is it's a bike that will last me forever if i wanted. It's not a bike i'll outgrow, so i'll have it until i decide i want to trade in for something newer (and probably smaller). It's not a starter bike but it can be done.

I have rode a Kawi 636 and it was exciting, a lot rev'ier then my bike and not as comfortable. I have no plans of upgrading at this point though, the 929 is a beast and pretty comfy to ride. Maybe one day ill get something newer.

Old 07-08-2007, 10:31 AM

Sweet. Takes some ***** to start out on something like a 929. I give you credit there. That's exactly the kind of post I'm looking for. Ride safe.

Old 07-10-2007, 03:20 PM

I can ride wheelies after only 4 months on the bike
I mean i can ride circles around 90% of the riders i see out on the roads,
You must be ****ting me..........you think you can ride circles around 90% after 4 months............Get the hell out of here man. WOW!!! Where are you at? I want to go for a ride with you sometime. THIS I HAVE to see for myself. That alone proves you probably should have started on something smaller...........you're arrogance will be your down fall.

Anyway, back on topic.

I started on a CSR 250 when I was 14 (after riding dirtbikes since 6). It was lame and very slow. I rode my dad's KZ1000 Z1R after turning 17 from time to time. Heavy as hell but pretty quick for what it was. It would punish 600's of the time pretty bad.
Then my 600 Hurricane. The only regret about that bike was selling it. It was fun as hell. Many road trips, some drag racing, 1st wheelie on that bike.....it was a great bike.
Only to be traded off for my 99 900RR. THAT was a fun bike. Track days, road trips, 28k put on it and never a single problem. Of course that taught me the finer points of throttle control when wheelieing. FUN bike. It would RAIL at the track. As down on power as they are compared to new ones they have no problem haning with them or smoking them with the right rider. Very nice bike.
The GSX-R 1000 I have now is hands down the business. Wheelies have never been so easy.......the track is phenominal.......although I could go for a little less turnin effort but the stability is awesome. And......well the power is nothing to scoff at either. It's pretty bad ***. Stand ups are MUCH easier on this than the 900RR, but it does feel different hangning off in turns than the 900. The 900 felt better in that respect. And...well the throttle response isn't the greatest on the Suzuki in the lower RPM range (below 3K) but otherwise......they've all been fun. If only I could afford to have them all again.

Old 07-10-2007, 04:51 PM

Staunton, va. Hit me up and we can ride twisties all day ! That's all we have here, twisties and mountains....

edit some stuff out, i have nothing to prove... Ride safe.

Old 07-10-2007, 11:24 PM

Bought an '04 Ninja 250 last August and now have an '01 Honda VFR. Got both of them and still love both of them. I dont plan on getting something different in a long time.

Old 07-11-2007, 06:36 AM

ORIGINAL: fuze

Staunton, va. Hit me up and we can ride twisties all day ! That's all we have here, twisties and mountains....

edit some stuff out, i have nothing to prove... Ride safe.

I was in that area last week and all I could think of was "Man I wish I brought the bike with me."