Other Bike Chat Discuss other makes and models of bikes made by Honda, or competing brands.

Sometimes Daydreams Become a Reality!

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2009, 05:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife was arguing about having to wear her riding jacket that day because it was to hot. It was around 70F/21C. It's a much different type of cold here...if that makes sense. It's a very dry cold. The temperature right now is 35F/2C and it is t-shirt weather. 80 degrees fahrenheit here is almost uncomfortably hot.

Old 04-21-2009, 05:00 PM

Been working on the plan.

Time:

Late July- Early August

I want to have the trip there and back done in 16 days with 2 of the 16 days spent on Oregon with family. This means I will only have to average around 405 miles a day. This is fairly easy to accomplish and should leave me time to explore, see the sights, or just hang around a campfire with a cold beer in my hand.

Here is the rout that I want to take there:

http://www.mapquest.com/maps?1c=Palm...:::::f:EN:M:/e

I really want to ride the Washington & Oregon coastal hwy. I have hit parts of the coast, but never the whole thing! I haven't planned the rout back, but it will be different through the US anyways. I won't go to far off I-5 so I will stay within the mile ranges I am planning.

Logging:

I will be camping the whole time. I would like to stay in campgrounds the whole time but refuse to pay $40 a night for a campsite. I will probably stay in campgrounds some nights and find a spot to pitch a tent other nights. I will have to shower at campgrounds.

Gas:

This a challenging thing to plan because I don't know what gas prices will be like when I make the trip. I know gas prices will go up for summer, I just don't know how much. I am guestimating that gas will be around $3.25 per gallon in the US and around 4.25 a gallon in Canada. If gas goes to $4.50+ per gallon trips off. Here is a breakdown of what I think I will pay in gas. Keep in mind that these are guestiments. I am planning on getting 40mpg. I probably will get better gas mileage but I like to plan for too much then to little.

Miles inside US-1538 miles--Divide that by 40=38.5 gallons--Multiply that by 3.25=$125

Miles inside Canada-4094 miles--Divide that by 40=102 gallons--Multiply that by $4.25=$433

Total gas--$563

Anyways, I have more but it is time to go to work. I will post more later.

Old 04-22-2009, 02:28 PM

Hmmm, I am thinking about what tire to run. I will most assuredly run into rain along the way and the roads through BC can be pretty grainy. I think I will visit the Honda shop and see what they got in the way of sport tour tires. Also, I will have to go through all the electric plugs, clean them, and put dielectric grease on them. The bike will also need a tune up, just for piece of mind. I have a friend who has a degree from MMI, so I will have him give my bike a real good once over.

I am also planning on making four or five 500+ mile trips to really get to know the bike.

Partial packing list:

Tool kit-enough to break the bike down to do basic fixes if need be.
Tire plug kit and small tire pump
Electric tape and some duct tape
50' 550 cord-just in case
Poncho
Extra fuses
Cable lock to lock my bike up at night
3 changes of clothes (1 worn-1 packed)
1 pair of shoes and a few extra pairs of socks
Rain gear- and I mean good riding rain gear
Sleeping bag
Small tent
Mosquito repellent-A must!!
A can of bear mase if legal in Canada-If not I can break my shotgun down and carry it in a back pack. They let me take it through last time, so hopefully they will again. I will do research. either way I have to have some sort of bear protection if I am going to be camping the whole way.
Personal hygiene kit
First aid kit
Pack of water resistant matches
Flashlight with extra batteries- I won't need it up north. 24 hours of daylight! As I head south it may come in handy.
Small amount of food. Probably bits and pieces of MREs.
Water

See anything I missed? I will be traveling with a tankbag, a backpack, and cargo net over my back seat. I am sure I will use the assistance of bungee cords to secure the load.

Old 04-22-2009, 09:43 PM

Im rutting for you i hope this dream becomes true for you. sounds amazing and there is no better way to get to know your bike a little more.

Old 04-23-2009, 01:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am truly envious of you Alaska! Sounds like the trip of a lifetime! Be sure to include a digitial cam in that list and take lots and LOTS of pics to put up here.. You've got me wanting to plan my great escape now..