Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Your own body is your prison.

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 08:02 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Your own body is your prison.

On many occasions, we see threads started on here of friends and families lost for whatever reasons or others ending up in comas. More recently, we saw a thread about a guy who stood on his cruiser without proper protection and now, living in life support. We have relatives, who may suffer from a stroke, like Dick Clark and instead returned, not quite the same person as they were before. I wonder, if during those moments...do they realize who they left behind. Do they know who truly cares for them. Who would stick it out with them, thick or thin? Do we just take it all for granted? Do you take for granted those that are caring for you or do you take for granted those that you care for?

Tonight, I watched a superb movie that might or might not cause you to take stock of these people that you hold dear (or perhaps should). "The Diving Bell and the Butterfly" was filmed in French, so yes, unless you are fluent in French, you will have to read the subtitles. It is a true story about the gregarious editor-in-chief for Elle magazine, Jean-Dominique Bauby who suffers from a "cerebro-vascular accident", a stroke. His mental faculties remain completely intact, but his motor functions are basically non-existent. Through his eyes and his imagination, you see what is his motivation for life, you see him realize who truly cares and who doesn`t.

Definitely worth a gander.

Suit up guys and gals, and keep your lids on. Don`t forget to tell the ones that you care for that you do.

Old 11-13-2008, 12:13 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Your own body is your prison.

ORIGINAL: woo545

Suit up guys and gals, and keep your lids on. Don`t forget to tell the ones that you care for that you do.
+1, no offense at all woo, but this is the only line that spoke to me. The rest of it.... well it is what it is. it only happens once, like life, dont stress about it.

Old 11-13-2008, 12:17 AM

it might sound funny but i kinda felt like that the first time i saw "Click" with adam sandler, lol
hes a funny guy, but that movie gets kinda serious and sad at times
it made me think of how i treat ppl, and although i really dont treat anyone BAD, i realized i could treat some ppl better
im rarely effected by movies and things of that sort, and i dont even remember ever crying during a movie, buti just remember Click as being one of those movies that made me sit back and re evaluate my relationships with ppl

Old 11-13-2008, 12:21 AM
Friend and Hero ...

Nicholas you have far too much time on your hands I suggest you come hang out with me for about six weeks. You'll be jumping out your skin and answering most of those questions. You're pondering over about who you care about and who cares about you

Old 11-13-2008, 12:34 AM

^Nicholas(also my name) I would not pass up on that offer.....If only i were not such a vag, i would be there.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:29 AM

ORIGINAL: HARDCORP 8654
Nicholas you have far too much time on your hands
Probably true.

You`ll be jumping out your skin and answering most of those questions.
Of which, I would have no doubt.

You`re pondering over about who you care about and who cares about you
I am not pondering over myself, but I am curious, if other members, have taken stock of their lives. We place our balance of our life in the hands of others whenever we strap on that helmet (or not). Granted not on the same level of you, sir, but still with the potential for a similar end result.

I suggest you come hang out with me for about six weeks.
There was a time, long since passed, when it would not have been too hard to persuade me to do this. Unfortunately, 20 years later, I may not be any wiser, just more protective of my hide. As I have mentioned to you once before, ever since a child, I endeavored to become an U.S. Air Force pilot. It was a passion of mine that was unceremoniously ripped from my hands. I can only hope, that my lack of initiative to take up arms is not seen as a disrespect to you or any other member of our armed forces. I can never fully know what you have experienced, but I do have an understanding of what it takes. For that, you have my respect and admiration.

I am, a very passive person. I take enjoyments of the small things in my life and the people I influence and help. I can only offer you my thanks for allowing me that opportunity to experience it. I can only offer my thanks, to that man that found me on the side of the road in Seoul, South Korea and took me to the orphanage. I can only thank Holt, the adoption agency, that placed me with my family. I have nothing but respect for my country, the USA for giving me the opportunities to be who I am. Now, I can only endeavor to pay that gratitude forward, unfortunately, at this juncture, it is not the route that you offer. I can only hope that you don`t look down on me for it.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:33 PM

A few weeks ago now my wifes Uncle passed away, he was a great bloke, I met him 30 years ago, lived all his life in the same town (Maitland) Single, never married, Painter & Docker by trade & as tough as a sh*t house rat. He used to be a heavy drinker & from wot the his brothers have told me, a bit of a good street fighter in his day. Got Hodgkins Lymphoma desease abot 25 years ago, & survived. About 14 months ago he got both barrells, developed cancer in his kidneys & after the operation to remove it, got told that it was worse than they thought, it had spread to his spine & he had a bout a year. This guy never complained about his lot, never complained about the pain he was in or about the all the treatment they had to put him through. In the end when he was in hospital & saying my last goodbye, he just looked at me, squeezed my hand for so long & so much pressure it nearly broke my hand. When the pain got so bad they just put him on a morphine drip & he just went unconscious. Took the old bastard 8 days (with out food or water) to finally die. Sorry to lay that on you, but its still pretty raw. The one thing I can tell everbody from this recent experience, motality is the price of the ticket for living, accept it & go about living it the best you can, don't sweat the little stuff, oh yeah, possessions in the end, mean SFA

Old 11-13-2008, 07:52 PM

There is a guy who I used to play paintball with that had a very rare brain stem stroke and it resulted in a locked in condition like this. He is still totally aware of his surroundings and has full brain function but his body is completely gone. Its insanely tragic because he has a wife and kid that come to visit him and can talk to him and hug him and he is aware but cant respond at all. I cant even imagine what that must be like.