Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

You meet the nicest people...

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2012, 12:22 AM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default You meet the nicest people...

...At the track (and on a Honda! haha... no seriously dude rides an '09 Repsol 1000RR). Seriously though, this past weekend was f'ing epic, and still blows my mind. So anyways, one of the other bike forums I'm on (private forum) had their annual forum trackday down at Jennings GP this past weekend. Even though there was a trackday a bunch of my buddies went to a lot closer the weekend before, I skipped out on that one to make it to this one, not only cuz I'd never been to Jennings before and wanted to try it out, but also cuz the guys from this particular forum helped me out a ton last year. About a year ago, my one dog Piggy was in need of hip surgery due to severe hip dysplasia in her left hip, and I simply could not afford it at the time. The guy that runs the site (also a huge dog lover) got wind of it and said he wanted to help out.... he started up a fundraiser thing on the forum and a bunch of people pitched in and he matched it (mind you I never once asked for a thing). When he first mentioned it I thought it would just be a few bucks to help out, but he ended up sending me not only more than enough to cover the surgery in full, but some left over to help out with the additional meds and physical therapy and everything after the surgery (I had to build a hydrotherapy pool). I was absolutely blown away by the generosity, especially considering I'd never once met any of these people in person before. So my reasoning for wanting to go to this trackday was not as much for the trackday itself, as it was that I just wanted to meet these guys in person and shake their hand and thank them in person for all their help with Piggys surgery (she's doing absolutely fantastic now, btw... zero issues with her hip anymore)

Anyways, I get down to the track about 9:30 pm friday night, not a ton of people but I meet a few from our group, we talked for awhile then I set up my tent and get some sleep. Saturday morning I meet everybody... we all get talking and ended up talking about trackdays and gear. I had mentioned that I've been having a lot of problems with my suit that I have not fitting right... it's too tight and I can't move, and it's affecting my body positioning, and mentioned I was planning on getting a custom suit made this winter sometime. One of the guys says, "I've got an extra one in my trailer, try it on see if it fits". I wasn't riding that day so he went out on the track, I tried the suit on, which fit me damn good. He comes back, asks "so how'd it fit??", and I tell him it feels pretty good. I was thinking he was just gonna let me borrow it for the day, but he really caught me off guard when he said "Great! It's yours... keep it". I literally stood there confused and looking around for a good 10 seconds before saying anything cuz I really didn't know what to say, haha... thinking to myself, "did he really just tell me to keep the suit?!?!". He said again... "I've got too much stuff piling up in my garage and need to make some room... you need one, you'll use it, it's yours". I proceeded to thank him about a million and a half times, lol. Mind you I'd never even met this guy in person before Friday night, so I really couldn't believe he just GAVE me a suit

But yea, this is the suit... not an old worn out beater, but rather a clean, like new condition Dainese 'Laguna Seca' 1pc.... NICE suit, and not exactly a cheap one either! LOL

Name:  9C1A97F0-2FB6-4B41-84E5-C32D9D632777-4907-000005ED5A9CC23F.jpg
Views: 92
Size:  329.5 KB

Name:  1E97C3AB-C1BE-4671-844B-4341BC7AEE3B-4907-000005E9E234A62E.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  290.4 KB

Even has a mummy bag to keep it clean, and has the little bag with the leather cleaner and conditioners and everything too

Name:  C44AF236-B1B7-4003-9F12-35CD271A48A5-4907-000005F130D0B875.jpg
Views: 37
Size:  390.2 KB

But that's not all.... later in the day he says "hey I got a helmet I need to get rid of too... what size you wear??". So he digs it out and gives it to me to try on... fits good, he says once again... "Take it, it's yours". Once again... NICE stuff. It's a 2008 model RF-1000.... also like new condition and still in the helmet bag

Name:  78CBA8A5-98A0-467F-A225-C3AE707CDDF2-4907-000005E9C6EE1983.jpg
Views: 44
Size:  336.1 KB

Once again, I'm freakin' blown away by the generosity... I didn't expect him to give me any of this stuff. I tried to offer to pay him at least something for it, or at least buy him dinner or something, but he wasn't having it. Come to find out later from the guy that runs the site, this guy was also one of the main contributors to Piggys surgery fund last year (along with one of the other guys that was there as well). So yea, faith in humanity definitely restored this weekend. So good knowing there's at least some good people left out there that actually care about more than just themselves or $$ signs. Sooo happy I decided to go down to this trackday this weekend.... totally worth it! (and the 1,023 mile drive to get there and back, haha)

Even Riley liked the guy and wanted to get a pic in front of his bike, haha

Name:  477738DB-F280-47F9-BC1E-F63222D010DD-4907-000005F1430FE565.jpg
Views: 25
Size:  371.1 KB

BTW I rode in the suit sunday on the track... holy crap amazing difference a suit that actually fits right actually makes! I can MOVE!! Now I can actually work on my body position instead of constantly fighting my suit. Even got my knee down for the first time... twice! T'was a great weekend.... soooo thankful and blessed for good people in my life

Last edited by thirdgenlxi; 10-30-2012 at 12:37 AM.
Old 10-30-2012, 12:35 AM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Great stuff Jared. So what of the old suit? Did you pass it on to someone in need?

I would like to think this forum would do the same for someone in need. Maybe someday, I will be proven right.

Old 10-30-2012, 12:36 AM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 74demon
Great stuff Jared. So what of the old suit? Did you pass it on to someone in need?

I would like to think this forum would do the same for someone in need. Maybe someday, I will be proven right.
If I come across somebody that it fits and is in need.... absolutely will!

Old 10-30-2012, 04:39 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

wow, great stuff man, looks like chivalry still exists in some places... just the gear you got alone way exeeds my bike in value, not to mention the help for your dog...

Last edited by Mattson; 10-30-2012 at 05:01 AM.
Old 10-30-2012, 01:55 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

damn.... that is awesome...

definitely a cool guy

i want some dainese!

Old 11-01-2012, 06:08 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

I wish I was the guy with so much stuff in my garage I give it away for free lol

Old 11-02-2012, 02:26 PM
Party Animal, ROTM June 2014
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wish you were too..and you were my size and I was your friend!

Old 11-02-2012, 04:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is an Awesome story. Please fulfill Karma by paying it forward to the next guy(just a generous act suffixes).

Old 11-02-2012, 06:15 PM
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

bike riders have proven to me over and over to be the most down to earth and giving group of people on this ,at times crazy planet

Old 11-02-2012, 08:19 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

def a great story...and a great example of some peoples generosity..
74demon mentioned to pay it forward and i tottally agree...
but id also like to mention i see jestures like that on this site all the time..
in "build" threads ive come across lots of guys who mention they have this part or that part and would be willing to send "it" if needed.. i guess what im getting to is that this is a great community.. i'm really happy to have found it and Now be a part of it.. the only thing that stinks is we're all spread out.. anyway if im presented an opptunity to pay it forward (here).. i wouldnt hesitate.. and just like if i saw another rider stranded on the side of the road.. there would be no question.. i would pull over to help .. i honestly believe its just the nature of the community as a whole. and most bikers in general.or at least id like to believe that..
jay..

Quick Reply: You meet the nicest people...