Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

And you guys thought you had it bad...

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2008, 11:15 AM
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: And you guys thought you had it bad...

What's the harm?

"The only thing necessary for evil to succeed is for good men to do nothing." - Edmund Burke

Now, I'm not asking anyone to do anything, but I am asking you (people) to not do nothing. And before some of you get in a tissy and want to take my words out of context, no, I don't believe the PD or any of it's civilian delegates are evil...

You can sit there and say, "what's the harm" all day long. But it's pointless if I answer you and you say, "you're being paranoid." Such a blanket observation from an otherwise generally intelligent poster. I never once said any of my proposed comments were fact or were in fact going to happen.

But in a world where a relatively small group of people can collaborate to fly two jumbo jets into two high-rise skyscrapers, I am fascinated that you seem so opposed to it's possiblity. Anything's possible and to be honest, we need to think about how proposed solutions and how they may affect the very foundation of what this country was created on.

Next you'll be saying that since people are so viscious and unpredictable that we need CCTV (aka Big Brother) on overy corner to help identify suspects. And that, "if you're not doing anything wrong, what's the harm?"

Gimmie a break dude. If it makes you feel better to write me off as a paranoid theorist, so be it, but it doesn't change the fact that it's all a snowball effect. A little bit here, a little bit there and the next thing you know they have us voting in favor of CCTV's and after the dust settles we think, "what the hell did we just do?" Patriot Act, anyone?

I intend to follow this around town, and I'll let anyone know if anything comes up.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:28 AM

To late kid, CCTV already up and running here locally, in KCK

Also have the SCOUT system.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:30 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: Ohshift

A WARNING, nothing more. Not only do they not have the proper knowledge to test the equipment before and after to ensure accuracy, but they are not sworn in as a police office... so their word is no stronger than yours.

Edit: I see this as a way to get these ******** to shut up, when ignoring them can only last so long.
Somehow I missed your post completely!

You know what, I had the same thought as well. You can only take so many phone calls and place so many curb-side speed indicators for so long. Now the PD has at least taken some of the burden off of their call center and I imagine there is a bit of relief from patrol officers as well.

BUT, in personally knowing the fairly new chief of police (and taken his money in card games, lol), I can say with almost certainty that what you and I described abovearen't his (only) intentions. He's a very pro-active ex-cop who headed up anti-gang neighborhood watches with the help of residents in the previous city of work with similar tactics/approaches. He would, in a heartbeat if Becky Spencer (city PA) would allow it, sign off on resident/citizen arrest and informational reports as fact. Now if you want to talk speculation, that is speculation because I'm assuming intent.

And let's not forget who's being quoted in the newspaper... Sgt. McCammon - I mentioned in an earlier comment that he wrote me a ticket before... in uniform.

So tell me again why you think I'm being paranoid, SB? Lots of possiblities here.

Old 05-09-2008, 11:32 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: Manic

To late kid, CCTV already up and running here locally, in KCK

Also have the SCOUT system.
Yeahand see that's bull****. I know about that damnSCOUT system, we had a bit of info on it in the academy.

Where's the, "scared ****less" smiley... [&:]

Old 05-09-2008, 11:36 AM
Banned

LMAO. IT'S 2 FREAKING RADAR GUNS!!! How in the world do you jump from that to people on every corner?!? If we're gonna continue down this road, then let's get all out...You're entitled to your opinion, but here is my interpretation of what you sound like to me...

My neighborhood has a sign with Scruff McGruff on it that says "WARNING: Neighborhood Watch in Effect." It's a joint effort with the local police, and I don't know about you people, but it's a little Orwelian to me that we have cartoon dogs taking the law into their own hands. This is how it always starts, with a small sign on the side of the street while "the man" tests our patience and sees just how farthey can pull the wool over our eyes...but mark my words...next thing you know, they're gonna giveGoofy a squad car and make Snoopy his partner. WE CAN'T LET CARTOON DOGS PLAY VIGILANTE IN OUR STREETS...it goes against the our civil liberties and our rights as citizens. And just think of the chaos and turmoil that will be created when that crappy drawing of a dog your aunt's kindergartener drew jumps off it's page hanging on the fridge and writes you a big fat speeding ticket. Do you really wanna be patted down by Huckleberry Hound while Mr. Peobody straps on his gloves to give you a full cavity search?!? I thought not, and that is why we need to act now. If we allow this to continue, it's just going to snowball, and it's not going to stop at Hong Kong Phooey bustin down your door without due cause. Before you can even blink, Smokey the Bear and Count Chocula are going to be Senators under the presidency of Betty Boop! Let's act now before these cartoons get out of hand!

Old 05-09-2008, 11:58 AM
Banned

Jeezus dude...

If that's what you think of me then I don't know what to say.

I just want to go back to the time where if people saw, "police giving average joe radar guns," there was some interest to be developed.

Theironyis that I am essentially saying, "more policing isn't the answer," andmy intelligence as well as social logic isbeing challenged on it.By the way, I didn't realize we wereplaying ball... do you feel better now that you've, "got it all out?"

Old 05-09-2008, 12:05 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: KidCr3nshaw

Jeezus dude...

If that's what you think of me then I don't know what to say.

I just want to go back to the time where if people saw, "police giving average joe radar guns," there was some interest to be developed.

Theironyis that I am essentially saying, "more policing isn't the answer," andmy intelligence as well as social logic isbeing challenged on it.By the way, I didn't realize we wereplaying ball... do you feel better now that you've, "got it all out?"
Actually, I do feel a bit better. I'm in a "rare" mood today. My apologies for the sharp criticism...nothing personal. You do raise some valid points, some of which I agree with...As my signature says, "I agree with your but you're wrong"

Sorry too for jacking your thread...I'm done now. No hard feelings?