Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Are you a foot dragger ??

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-2009, 07:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was watching the Isle of Man TT and noticed most of the riders doing that when leaving the pits. I wondered if maybe their bikes were harder to keep upright or something . I ride like Kilgore does and challange myself by keeping my feet up as long as I possibly can. I've found that if you increase the engine speed slightly (about 2000 rpm) it becomes a little easier. At least it seams that way to me.

Old 08-23-2009, 07:27 AM

I dont do the feet dragging (my boots wernt cheap) but I do sometimes 'walk' the bike if im filtering through a really tight gap.

The CBR is harder to balance at slow speeds than the Kawa ER500 I learned on. Still im getting better all the time. I also do the wobbling when coming to a stop, trying not to put my feet down till ive stopped completely.

Good fun.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:12 PM

I'm a pretty new rider with less than 3 months and less than 1000 miles under my belt (ok maybe nearly 1000 now), so I'm sure I look green at lights.

When stopping, if I cruise up nice and smooth I can usually come to a complete stop and then put my feet down (both feet everytime). For some reason I have the bad habit up leaning slightly left under heavy braking (which I try to do when no one is behind me so I know the bikes limits, sometimes the feet come down sooner to assist in balance (practice practice).

That said, taking off I pretty much start slipping the clutch, put my feet on the pegs and off I go, no dragging, not duck walking, i can even do this making a 180, but that tends to be a bit jerky.

I noticed a buddy of mine only ever puts one foot down, not sure if that is just experience or his own bad habit, but I like both feet down once I have stopped.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:15 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by N4teTheGreat
I'm a pretty new rider with less than 3 months and less than 1000 miles under my belt (ok maybe nearly 1000 now), so I'm sure I look green at lights.

When stopping, if I cruise up nice and smooth I can usually come to a complete stop and then put my feet down (both feet everytime). For some reason I have the bad habit up leaning slightly left under heavy braking (which I try to do when no one is behind me so I know the bikes limits, sometimes the feet come down sooner to assist in balance (practice practice).

That said, taking off I pretty much start slipping the clutch, put my feet on the pegs and off I go, no dragging, not duck walking, i can even do this making a 180, but that tends to be a bit jerky.

I noticed a buddy of mine only ever puts one foot down, not sure if that is just experience or his own bad habit, but I like both feet down once I have stopped.
the one foot thing is just a bad habit, but I seen many do it too.

Old 08-23-2009, 12:38 PM

I found that for me it depends on how im taking off. For normal riding my feet are usually up by the time the clutch is fully released, but if im racing my feet stay down to balance off the launch till I need to shift.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:02 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Didn't think getting my feet on the pegs was a bad habit. Maybe it's a fear of getting my foot caught in one of the million unfixed potholes here. But as soon as the engine catches, my feet pop up. Except at extremely low speeds. Haven't mastered the balance of my bike yet at extremely low speeds. And its getting ready to change any ways cause I'm getting new tires.

Now at stop lights, I only have one foot down (my left). I tend to keep my right foot up on the rear brake, with the front brake disengaged and the bike in 1st. That's in case I need to get out of the way of some teen txting instead of braking. Is that bad? Never knew if it is.

Old 08-23-2009, 01:08 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Kuroshio
Didn't think getting my feet on the pegs was a bad habit. Maybe it's a fear of getting my foot caught in one of the million unfixed potholes here. But as soon as the engine catches, my feet pop up. Except at extremely low speeds. Haven't mastered the balance of my bike yet at extremely low speeds. And its getting ready to change any ways cause I'm getting new tires.

Now at stop lights, I only have one foot down (my left). I tend to keep my right foot up on the rear brake, with the front brake disengaged and the bike in 1st. That's in case I need to get out of the way of some teen txting instead of braking. Is that bad? Never knew if it is.
the one foot thing is a bad habit

Old 08-23-2009, 02:10 PM

Here when you see people put both feet down or duck walk. It's a pretty good sighn they never have taken the MSF course.

Old 08-23-2009, 05:18 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I often try to see how long I can keep the bike upright before I have to put a foot down, sometimes I even feather the clutch & blip the throttle.
I have 2 bad habits, when stopping at the side of the road & not looking 1st before I throwing my left foot down, been caught out so many times with a the ground dipping away (or a ditch) right next to the bike. The other one I was not even aware I was doing until a friend observed me doing it, but you now, taking off in the wet or on a gravel road, bikes gets squirmy under acceleration. Did it one day, could not figure out why I had these pains in my groin & leg, apparently I had thrown both legs onto the road keeping the bugger upright & no memory of actually doing it.

Quick Reply: Are you a foot dragger ??