Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Are You Doing Something You Love (your job/career)?

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 05:05 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Are You Doing Something You Love (your job/career)?

I truly dont know what I'd truly love.. Ive been content with jobs.. but never loved one...
I guess if I could be in the music industry (producer, manager), or working for Honda America would be sweet. anybody have a connect... hehe

Old 10-18-2008, 05:06 PM

Actually. I do love my job.

I went to college for 4 years for programming and absolutely hated it. Came out and started working with my older brother roofing. Doing shingle tearoffs and standing seam tin. It was extremely hard work and usually very hot, but for some reason i didn't mind it too much. Something about the freedom of the job and working outside, i just loved it. A year later i started painting houses, mostly exterior stuff, and it was even better ! I been a painter since, and make pretty darn good money to boot. It's easier then roofing on my body, i still work outside, and i like it enough that i work 50hours a week sometimes more just because i really don't mind it and the pay is good.

I re-plumbed my house and it SUCKED ! [8D]The worst was digging up the yard to replace the old water and sewer lines. THAT was a pain without a backhoe. Next was running the pipes in the crawl space, i hate crawlspaces. Looking back i should have paid a plumber and just went to work to pay someone else to do it ! No leaks though and my sewer doesn't back up anymore from 100 year old clay pipes.

So i'll prob keep doing what i am for anotherx 30 years or so. Where i live 95% of the houses have painted tin roofs and wooden siding, so there's always work. I been at it for 6 years now and have a really really good reputation. I have noticed that as time goes on i can get away with charging more for my work and people are willing to pay it. Not bad at all, i really can't complain.

Just want to add that as a painter i get some satisfaction from my work. Most of these old houses are in bad shape when i get a call. As i near the end of doing them they start really coming together and it makes me feel good, plus all the compliments i get from homeowners and people walking down the streets. It makes ya feel good Then once it's done i get a nice big check.

Old 10-18-2008, 05:24 PM

I love being a Soldier. As with any job, there are good days, and bad days. It feelsgood tobe constantly recognized for doing something good.Fellow American citizens always stop and say thank you. I really appreciate the love, and it never gets old. We get discounts damn near everywhere we go, and sometimes special treatment for free. Overall, the good outweighs the bad by a longshot. I get to meet/work withgreat people from all over the world. I get the chance to mold young minds in a positive way. I travel, and see the world for free, and keep the frequent flyer miles, lol. I get to get a free college education. All the while, I get paid for it, pretty good $$ at that. 9 more years and I can retire from this, get a check every month for the rest of my life, and start a new career from scratch. The comraderie is great, sorta like high school. I love this ****. I sound like a damn recruiter, dont I?

Old 10-18-2008, 05:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

**** i had this whole life biography typed up, and i get the "not authorized to view page"...

long story short, i want to play poker

ive kept track of winnings/losses since august 14th, 10 actual sessions, and im up $1,238 for roughly 22 hours of poker playing 1/2 no limit hold em LIVE (this does not include the 1500 i won online that i posted about), im going to keep track for a full year and hopefully by the end of next year ill have enough evidence to say "i SHOULD be doing this for a living" instead of "damn, i should only be doing this for fun"

Old 10-18-2008, 06:02 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

Yu gotta be content with what yu got ...that's the real trick to being happy

Actually thats really well put Classy. I know i dont enjoy wrenching as much anymore, and there are days i dont like my job at all. But it does facilitate all the other things in life i do love. So i try and remember that when im going to the grind.

Old 10-18-2008, 06:06 PM

I'm a Chef, and love it. I get paid to play with knives and fire all day long, plus I've got a gang of minions to do my bidding. Also, I don't have to worry about wearing a tie, and I can swear like a sailor...win/win/win!
Find a job you love and you'll never work a day in your life.

Old 10-18-2008, 06:13 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM

Congrats 51, its always good to hear someone that happy with work. I truly do believe its the exception by far though.

Old 10-18-2008, 06:42 PM

I freaking HATE my job, i love corrections, but hate my job. I'm kinda burned out on it right now. I want to do something like automotive mechanics or welding. i just get sick of babysitting, the whole high stress thing is starting to **** me off.

Quick Reply: Are You Doing Something You Love (your job/career)?