CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners

CBR Forum - Enthusiast forums for Honda CBR Owners (https://cbrforum.com/forum/)
-   Off Topic (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/)
-   -   Yet another battle scar... (https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic-6/yet-another-battle-scar-151811/)

Mattson 04-28-2014 03:24 PM

Yet another battle scar...

Just had to see this day...

This week we`re celebrating May day and are expecting some relatives to visit, it is a common custom to BBQ as a part of the festivities so it was time to dig out my smoker-barbie project from the woodshed. I got it out and started rolling down the hill to the front yard and into the garage to get a new sparker and some mods fitted. I left the bike out in front of the garage to cool down when I got home from work so it was in my way, hastily I picked it up from the sidestand and started pushing it backwards, scraping my shin with the stand, lost my balance for no more than half a second, but long enough for the bike to lean to the right far enough to lose control, I tried with all my might to fight it, but very quickly realized it`s too heavy for me to recover and down it went on top of all the clutter laying beside the garage door. My wife heard the horrid crash the bike did, and the following silence to the balcony above me, after a few seconds she asked me what the heck was it. THE **** BIKE THAT`S WHAT IT WAS!!! As I waited for her to come to my aid (the bike was partly leaning against the wall, with minimum access to the right side) I took a look at it already starting to sum up all the stuff that needs to either be replaced or repaired. at least the windscreen, that mirror is in such a position it HAS to be broken, the new right side muffler, the woodcraft clip-on...
We got it up and into the garage, after a breather and a few foul words I started looking at it a bit better.

http://kuvaton.com/k/yAP3.jpg

Miraculously enough the mirror was NOT broken, it was just turned to the very furthest position down it can go, the windscreen popped back up, no marks there, the muffler did not touch the ground at all because of all the junk the bike fell on, and the tail fairing escaped certain doom for the second time too. Basically almost the only damages are the ones on the picture, and funny enough I have already ordered new levers, grips and bar ends and am waiting them to arrive. Even the handle tube seems straight but I`ll know for sure when I ride to work tomorrow (gotta go test if it starts)

http://kuvaton.com/k/yAPn.jpg

Speaking of ALMOST only damage... A bit in between will I try to repair that, I should have the leftover red paint somewhere that I bought for the tail, will I try to get another fairing and paint that, the one on the bike has other damage too around the inspection panel hole, or just leave it be since I`m probly gonna track the bike anyway eventually... I`m 100% certain I`m not gouing to find another one ready in the right color scheme as it is extremely rare in Finland, only seen it once on another bike in the flesh.

The say it`s useless to cry over spilled milk... but I`m still ticked off about it cause it was totally my own bad caused by hurrying in the wrong place...

At least could have been far worse... the only real damage was to a part that was already in bad shape.

And the smoker-barbie is now working!

Sebastionbear1 04-28-2014 06:36 PM

Bummer Matti,

But these things do happen, and at least YOU weren't hurt. We all have little slips in concentration that result in damage to our bikes. So you are not alone.

And at least you - unlike many - have the talent and skills to make it not as good as new, but BETTER than new. :D

Cheers, SB

gtcole 04-28-2014 08:51 PM

+1. We have all had those moments. Glad you are ok and no one was hurt. I'm sure you'll get her back right.

Conrice 04-28-2014 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by Sebastionbear (Post 1272412)
Bummer Matti,

But these things do happen, and at least YOU weren't hurt. We all have little slips in concentration that result in damage to our bikes. So you are not alone.

And at least you - unlike many - have the talent and skills to make it not as good as new, but BETTER than new. :D

Cheers, SB

Originally Posted by gtcole (Post 1272453)
+1. We have all had those moments. Glad you are ok and no one was hurt. I'm sure you'll get her back right.

Indeed. The main thing is that we didn't have to read "And as for damage to me: ...." or "I'm in the hospital with a ...." part.

We've all been there, and you, specifically you, can fix it. It sucks - but as they say "C'est la vie".

Mattson 04-28-2014 10:15 PM

Thanks for the compliments, surely appreciated.

Yea it's a bummer, from past experiences I knew there's no way for me to be able to fight the falling bike so instead of letting it pull me head first into the sharp clutter, after doing what I could to break the fall I let go. And since the damage is 100% cosmetic (I hope) it can wait for it's turn. I do have resin and fiberglass mat in the shelf so I might just put a patch behind and cast the damage full, sand it and either get the lower part painted and re-taped or completely taped without paint. The only thing is that money right now is pretty scarce and my main goal atm is getting the Volvo back on the road so this'll have to wait for it's turn at least for now...

Conrice 04-28-2014 10:25 PM

And at least you didn't do it in front of your entire fraternity... and a lot of beautiful women.... forgetting that the brake disc lock was on and trying to pull the bike inside the chapter house real quick (and look real cool at the same time)

I mean... who'd do that?

http://ourdreammoneypit.com/collegel...-Your-Hand.gif

This guy.

Sebastionbear1 04-28-2014 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Conrice (Post 1272467)
And at least you didn't do it in front of your entire fraternity... and a lot of beautiful women.... forgetting that the brake disc lock was on and trying to pull the bike inside the chapter house real quick (and look real cool at the same time)

I mean... who'd do that?

http://ourdreammoneypit.com/collegel...-Your-Hand.gif

This guy.

Ha!

That's the unspoken "no thanks" in Vietnamese :D

Usually with a less guilty look on your face

Question Conrice......why was Jean-Luc Picard riding your bike?? :D

Cheers, SB

Conrice 04-28-2014 10:45 PM

Originally Posted by Sebastionbear (Post 1272469)
Ha!

That's the unspoken "no thanks" in Vietnamese :D

Usually with a less guilty look on your face

Question Conrice......why was Jean-Luc Picard riding your bike?? :D

Cheers, SB

Haha, if only it was the captain. It would have stung my pride a whole lot less.

What's even worse - that was over 6 years ago and my friend (who was a witness) reminded me of it not even 2 weeks ago.

People don't forget...

Sebastionbear1 04-28-2014 10:52 PM

Originally Posted by Conrice (Post 1272472)
Haha, if only it was the captain. It would have stung my pride a whole lot less.

What's even worse - that was over 6 years ago and my friend (who was a witness) reminded me of it not even 2 weeks ago.

People don't forget...

Not funny sh!t like that they don't! :D

That is what friends are for................

Cheers, SB

PS: Congrats on the 4000 posts - the good guys stick around!

Mattson 04-28-2014 11:53 PM

Conrice: Owwww, talk about pride getting hurt :D

Rode to work about an hour ago, bars are straight, no oil spills or anything else out of ordinary, guess I got out with a booboo on the fairing this time.