Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Wrecked bike question

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2013, 01:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Conrice
if it's a clean title, it would probably be a good deal if you want to ride it and it needs nothing else. if it's been salvaged by the insurance company, than it's way too much. if you want to flip it, it's way too much.

it'd be a fun little project though for sure.

im a little surprised by how expensive the subframes are, though - knowing your common gixxer owner, they might be a hot in demand commodity...

northern auto parts makes a cheap and really good tank liner kit for the tank - i had to use it my GS500 tank. it worked like a charm. i think it was only about $30 or so. it cleans it and lines it.

but if it were me, i'd sell the good fairings, make my own subframe - bobber it, buy a headlight and fighter that bish
Has a clean title and no real damage other than the sub-frame and fairing stay. With those two parts it can be put back together and ridden. Brake lever tip is broken off and shifter peg is bent up (Tried unbending it and broke it).

$650 in parts and $1500 for the bike with clean title so looking at $2300 after its been registered and insured.

Runs good just needs to be pieced back together.

Sub frame was $350 used and the fairing stay was $50 new. All the other little parts my brother wants to add is another $250 .....levers, fairing bolt kit, air filter, bar ends, gel grips, tail light and shift lever. Looking to have it finished and riding it in two weeks

--- Going to be my brothers bike and he doesn't want a street fighter, he wants to have a stock looking bike. All the fairings are unhurt other than the tail and it only has a little rash on it and a busted tail light. After it's finished it looks like it will be a $3.5-4k bike easy for around here. Similar year model GSXR-600 are going for 4.5-5k around this area and once I finish it will be a good looking dependable bike again.

Last edited by bigboi18184; 06-10-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Old 06-13-2013, 06:55 PM

So far we have the Sub-frame bolted down, the front fairing stay on, new grips, brake reservoir and mirrors.

Have gotten all the rust out of the tank using Vinegar, evapo-rust and then Electrolysis. My brother has coated the tank with a rust inhibitor and is going to let it dry til tomorrow evening. All we are lacking is the Shift peg, fairing bolt kit, levers and flushing/bleeding the brakes from being able to get it all back together. I think the guy who had it put an R6 throttle on it b/c WOT is a lot sooner than my F4i. Ordered a new throttle tube for it just in case.

Here it is with everything put back on it to see what it will look like.

Old 06-15-2013, 04:00 PM

Got the bike fully put back together today after first changing the oil, bleeding the brakes and changing the radiator fluid. Waiting to ride it til tomorrow but it warmed up to temp and the fan kicked in fine. Road it around the backyard and everything seems fine but will find out tomorrow for sure.

F4i throttle tube fit on it fine and toned down the very touchy throttle.

Old 06-15-2013, 04:28 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

sweet. good job

Old 06-15-2013, 09:51 PM

Originally Posted by Conrice
sweet. good job
Thx, my brother did most of the work while I was working in South Louisiana this past week.

We finished up today and he will be making his first ride on it tomorrow, he seems happy with the end product. And a little adjusting on the throttle cable and putting a less twitchy throttle tube on helped out.

Preferred he would have started out on a 250r or 500 but he picked this one. He's been riding my F4i for the past two weeks and has done good so far. Hopefully he can keep it up with this GSXR-600, we will keep up the practice at the parking lot down the road for awhile to come though. I've even learned a few things doing this low speed maneuvers.

--- Put about 40 miles on the GSXR and my F4i this morning and his GSXR ran like a charm. No over heating, slipping gears or any other problem.

Last edited by bigboi18184; 06-16-2013 at 10:57 AM.