Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Would you get another bike?

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 09:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would you get another bike?

No I don't mean get a 2nd bike.

My train of thought: I just got back from the International Motorcyle show this morning in Long Beach. After sitting on so many different bikes I realized the ergonomics of some of the other bikes are much more comfortable then my bike, at least for my size and limb proportions. I have an F4i with vortex clip-ons. I'm 5' 9" tall. I know the f4i ergos has you kinda sitting a little upright, but the lower clip-ons lowers the bars a little. However , I realize that i'm never at the full upright position or anywhere near the aggressive dive in position of some SS. Its almost like my body is constantly fighting to both tuck/dive in and sit upright. Hard to explain, but I'm not quite as comfortable as I could be.

What I've been thinking is should I sell the aftermarket parts(PC, levers, full akra TI exhaust, Scotts damp, Penske rear shock) then sell my bike and put in some more money and get another bike? I'm not talking about a brand new bike, just a newer generation bike, something like 05 or newer. The bikes that were most comfortable for me were the GSX-R and the RR. Funny enough the most comfortable of them all were the 1000RR, which i could never afford or consider. I know I haven't really given them the road test, but just sitting and holding the handlebars alone I feel a significant difference.

I just came up with this train of thought on my ride home from the show. What would you do in my situation?

Old 12-06-2009, 11:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always go into sensory overload when I go to the bike show (or a decent bike strip)
Like a kid in a candy store "I'll get that one, no, I'll get that". Then only thing that stops me is cash or lack of. But, I went to a bike museum a few months back & I'm old enough to go through the "I had that one & that, & why did I bloody get rid of that one".
Truth is, if i had the dough I would probably get a new bike, up until I retired, 2 years (& less) was the longest I ever held on to one, now without the weekly pay I can't, so thank god I bought & still have a CBR

Old 12-07-2009, 12:19 AM

I went to that show today as well. Under the same strong impression. I'm riding F4i as well and she is my first bike ever.
My hight is 6' 2" and sometimes it feels really uncomfortable. I don't have rear sets yet and I have to put my legs as far back as I can so I can get to the right body position.

Really liked 600RR, not as bulky as 1k and has more aggressive design. Ducati 999 and BMW 1k RR were also nice.

I'm having the same exactly dilemma. Either throw a couple of more grans in my bike and have what I like or go towards something newer in near future. I enjoy doing mods on my own. Current list is: HID, rear sets, levers, undertail, exhaust and ultimately fairings.

Last edited by 2H company; 12-07-2009 at 12:24 AM.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:03 PM

if you guys can make the loan payments then definitly go get yourselves a newer bike, this year i purchased an 08 600rr and at the time of purchase i was like man i hope im not makin a mistake spendin this kind of money but let me tell ya after riding her this summer i have no regrets ... we are only on this earth for a short time so like i said if ya can budget it in go for it

Old 12-07-2009, 08:04 PM

I buy a machine new that will hold my interest for ten years. 1987 Hurricane, 1997 GSXR750, 2008 GSXR750 , 2008 CBR1000RR. The beauty of this strategy is that you don't necessarily have to sell the old one. Ten years is enough time to have it completely paid for and start the saving for the new one...Technology marches on and even if you stay at the same displacement there are major advancements in a decade. It works for me!

Old 12-07-2009, 10:49 PM

Well I'm thinking I can get maybe something close to maybe $800 +/- if I parted out the mods and maybe $2600-3200 (going rate for f4is in SoCal). Then put in another ~1-2K i can find something in the 4500-5500 range if I'm patient and shop. I've seen 07rrs for $5 and 05 gsxrs for even high 4s.

My discomfort is more in my upper torso. I have rearsets on my bike, but my legs feel like they need even more elevation. Stock pegs has my legs more extended and I feel like I don't have the knee bend and leverage to use my legs to push down on the bike.

It is sad that it comes to a point in time when your bike is worth more in parts than as a whole. I bought my 02 F4i in 08, and didn't really think about how the model was 2 generations behind SS nowadays, as the F4i was the SS of its days. Coming from a carbed bike I was happy and excited to get onto a FI bike, still am.

Well hopefully this mental dilerberation is just a result from sensory overload like Pacemaker said and will maybe go away as the weather gets better and I take a ride. Either that or it helps me make my decision.

Old 12-08-2009, 12:31 PM

Yes - I would buy a different bike. Lately I have been really admiring the R1's from 04-06 or so. We'll see what the next few months bring and I might make a move.

Old 12-08-2009, 02:22 PM

i like bike with the extremely aggressive pose. tucking in on my f3 feel's weird sometimes. is that what you mean?

the pegs are forward than most and the seat is very near the bars.

Old 12-08-2009, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by jpanside@gmail.com
i like bike with the extremely aggressive pose. tucking in on my f3 feel's weird sometimes. is that what you mean?

the pegs are forward than most and the seat is very near the bars.
Yea, thats partially the reason too, I don't feel right when tucking in. I've tried scooting my *** as far back as I can, but that just makes it worse since I don't have really long arms. No I'm not a midget or some deformed dude.

Old 12-16-2009, 09:27 AM

I get what you mean. When I was shopping around people told me the rr has the most aggressive stance as far as CBR's go (wasn't looking at any other bikes other than Honda) but when i sat on it it feels great. When I ride i asked myself why people find it uncomfortable? since the pegs are higher up than an f4i I use my leg muscles to support my weight a lot instead of just putting all my weight on my **** which would give me lower back pains. The stance on the rr actually is the most comfortable for me. Sit on one and decide for yourself.