Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Would/does being a parent...

Old 08-08-2011, 12:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would/does being a parent...

...deter you from riding? I'm a single dad and I have to admit it crosses my mind that (God forbid) 1 wrong decision/bad driver can radically change everything. Not a pleasant thought.

Old 08-08-2011, 12:48 PM

Not a parent myself but I have always thought that whenever that condom breaks and I'm blessed with a little mistake that I would never sell the bike and I will ride 4ever but I guess I wont know until I'm actually in that position.

Old 08-08-2011, 01:59 PM

Worries me on a daily basis, but unfortunately commuting on the bike is one of the only things keeping food on the table right now. I have a life insurance policy that goes directly to my son should anything happen to me, but I'd hate to leave him fatherless so I just ride that much more careful.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:28 PM
Default Honestly

I only think about it when my wife and I go for a ride. If i am out by myself I don't even think about it, but if my wife and I are riding I think about it with everyt corner and every car I pass.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:30 PM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by dveldtf4i
Worries me on a daily basis, but unfortunately commuting on the bike is one of the only things keeping food on the table right now. I have a life insurance policy that goes directly to my son should anything happen to me, but I'd hate to leave him fatherless so I just ride that much more careful.
Same boat here, Signed a life insurance policy same sit down as my motorcycle insurance with enough money to keep a nice roof over my daughters head till she is 21 then a big chunk then.

I ride with her in mind everywhere I go and have a picture on the keychain so when I look down at the speedometer I catch a glimpse of her and usually tone it down.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by jeffjones
Same boat here, Signed a life insurance policy same sit down as my motorcycle insurance with enough money to keep a nice roof over my daughters head till she is 21 then a big chunk then.

I ride with her in mind everywhere I go and have a picture on the keychain so when I look down at the speedometer I catch a glimpse of her and usually tone it down.
Really a good point. I need to get my life insurance raised. Never even thought of that. Thanks for the advice guys.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:17 PM
February 2012 ROTM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Truth is...when being a loving parent. Everything you do will involve your kids. What you drive? Car, truck, van? What you eat...it's just not only a life insurance issue that can satisfy them. YOU being a true father, must be there for them. Financially & mentally....not too many boys will become true men when they father their children. How you treat them, will be exactly how they will treat their kids. As far as motorcycle goes, statistics shows the chances of you getting hit and kill in a car accident is greater Vs. a plane crash. But why some of us feels it's much scarier being in a plane Vs a car.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:32 PM
February 2012 ROTM

I had a friend, when he got his girlfriend pregnant, ready to have a baby....he says, well guys...sorry...gotta sell the bike! I'm going to be a responsible parent...guess what?? He did sell the bike... But kept his gambling habit, kept his drink & Mary Jane habit...kept his cursing habits??? What I'm saying is when you become a father...it is much more complicated than just selling your bike or keep it & buy life insurance...it's a whole package of responsibility. One thing is for sure...you'll be 110% more causious when riding, due to a baby at home...makes you think twice before getting into racing situations on the streets.

Originally Posted by daniels
Not a parent myself but I have always thought that whenever that condom breaks and I'm blessed with a little mistake that I would never sell the bike and I will ride 4ever but I guess I wont know until I'm actually in that position.

Old 08-08-2011, 04:49 PM

Originally Posted by estate4life
I had a friend, when he got his girlfriend pregnant, ready to have a baby....he says, well guys...sorry...gotta sell the bike! I'm going to be a responsible parent...guess what?? He did sell the bike... But kept his gambling habit, kept his drink & Mary Jane habit...kept his cursing habits??? What I'm saying is when you become a father...it is much more complicated than just selling your bike or keep it & buy life insurance...it's a whole package of responsibility. One thing is for sure...you'll be 110% more causious when riding, due to a baby at home...makes you think twice before getting into racing situations on the streets.
Well said...Not a better job in the entire world than raising a child.

Name:  Photoon2011-07-28at14523.jpg
Views: 11
Size:  46.4 KB

Old 08-08-2011, 05:09 PM
February 2012 ROTM

Yeah...it's the tough decisions you must make & not regret. For instance an experience I had with my daughter...she play in school, tripped, fell, hit chin on cement floor. Got a small 1/2" cut under the chin. Now we all knew she needed about 3 stitches and start driving to ER. My daughter pleaded not to go ER. She don't want stitches...kept crying...what would you do...now ER cost deductable is $300. You know w/o stitches there will be more obvious scar tissue...Which kid have to live with it for the rest of their life...the decisions you make.

Originally Posted by smoorebmw
Well said...Not a better job in the entire world than raising a child.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Would/does being a parent...