Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.
View Poll Results: Whats the Worst Production Car of all Time?
Pontiac Aztec
39.29%
AMC Pacer
7.14%
Chevy SSR
7.14%
Dodge Aries
7.14%
Other (specify)
39.29%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Worst Production Car EVER!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2011, 04:58 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most of those models are unfamiliar to me since they have never been imported to europe (at least to Finland for that matter). I`m gonna have to mark the other -tick. My vote goes to:

The Nissan Juke (joke).

The first time I saw one of those I was like .....wat?
It`s even more ridiculous IRL. Kinda like a shell of a hatchback was thrown on a small SUV.

Number two goes to........

The Fiat Multipla.
They`ve not actually ever been imported to Finland, but Lord only knows why, private people bring those here themselves...

Old 10-30-2011, 06:11 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave

Interesting that the specific cars listed in the poll are all from American car companies. I think you need to widen your poll, since you asked for the worst production car "EVER" created. Yes, I saw the 'Other' option.

There were lots of junk imports in the 70s. Although the Aztek (with a 'k', not a 'c') wasn't much to look at I believe it performed mechanically well when compared to some of the foreign made junk from years ago. And is the Aztek even considered to be a car?

Last edited by RoadiJeff; 10-30-2011 at 06:13 AM.
Old 10-30-2011, 09:24 AM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mattson
Most of those models are unfamiliar to me since they have never been imported to europe (at least to Finland for that matter).
hahaha for good reason.

Old 10-30-2011, 11:28 PM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While the Aztec tops the ten-uglyist cars list, the Dodge Aries has to share worst car kudos with the Plymouth Horizon. Our office had one of each, and I was assigned both at one time or another.

The Aries was so under powered out would barely pull itself on a level road. That was okay though because it wallowed so badly in corners it nearly rolled, and the brakes were apparently lined with cardboard running against Jello. On the other hand it was a supremely uncomfortable car to drive.

The Horizon was a hoot to drive. Handled well, had great brakes (as I found out when topping a steep hill at 75 mph to find a tractor pulling a seeder just ahead of me), and was a fairly well powered vehicle.

It fell down on body, though. It was handy to use the gap between the front door and body to keep an eye on the right shoulder. Welded on door hinges made sure no adjustment would ever be made. On the other hand that contributed to a noise level so high it was necessary to resort to ear plugs. Add to that door handles that broke so frequently that parts houses and junk yards were unable to keep up with demand, and an engine that, if overheated once, was a throw away item.

Not a great car. I have to admit, though, I enjoyed driving it.

Oh, and the Chevrolet Chevette was missed on the above list. I should have voted Other.

Old 10-31-2011, 08:24 AM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave

Some of you have mentioned an AzteC car. I've never heard of it. Does it look similar to the Pontiac AzteK?

Anyway, I think a vote for the worst production car of all time should go to the old VW Beetle, especially the ones from the 60s. You *might* get it up to highway speed after about 5 minutes if you had a tail wind and were drafting behind a semi.

In the winter be sure and dress warmly because the car was not. About all it was good for was that the windshield kept the wind from blowing directly on you. The excuse of a heater rusted out after the first year or two. It never really worked when it was new anyway. It got its heat from the rear mounted engine air. The engine cooling fan was supposed to force whatever warm air from the rear of the car where the engine was, up to the passenger compartment. It never quite did. If the lack of a heater didn't freeze you out then the rusted out floorboard with the wind whistling through surely would.

Speaking of rust, you had to be sure it didn't get too bad or the battery that was mounted under the rear seat would fall out. The battery compartment was one of the first things to rust through.

I owned a '72 Beetle and all this reminds me of the fun times I had with it. At least it got close to 30 mpg.

Old 10-31-2011, 03:16 PM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My wife's grandmother had a VW Bug story that she loved to tell.

While following one down the highway in a ripping crosswind a semi met them. She said the bow wave off the semi hit the Bug, knocked it sideways, rolled it over and sent it spinning down the road on its top. They stopped and ran over to see if the driver was ok. He was. They helped him out of the Bug, and when he found he was ok he went over and began kicking the car and cussing it out.

Somehow that image has always made me chuckle too.

Old 11-03-2011, 04:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I voted other...my vote goes to any one of the Toyota Pri-us models or concepts

Old 11-03-2011, 05:02 PM
Retired Super Moderator and Fighterer
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Xander F4i
I voted other...my vote goes to any one of the Toyota Pri-us models or concepts
ahhh very very good point. one hypocritical and a stupid car for sure

Old 11-03-2011, 06:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

from a quality standpoint, ANYTHING GM, or dodge is the worst. if you want me to refine that farther, I have to say I HATE HATE HATE any caravan. those bloated piles of scrap metal SUCK GOAT *****.

Old 11-05-2011, 06:27 AM
Retired Super Moderator, Tin Star Man & Hurricane Saloon Prospect, ROTM Feb 2015

One car that just came to my mind, and really astonished me with it`s poor quality, was the car that we rented to our wedding: The Hummer H2. The car was a few years old, the interior is practically 100% plastic, and really poorly finished as the parts don`t fit to each other. The speedo was broken so we had to fix a satnav to the windshield just to see how fast we were going, the front grill was totally shattered from flying little rocks, most door handles were broken, the back lid handle actually ripped off when I tried to open it, it creeked and clonked as if it was about to break down any second, one of those d-rings on the back bumper was almost ripped off when the owner had tried to pull another car crom a ditch etc... And it was absolutely horrible to drive. Naturally I didn`t drive it myself, but my bestman/friend told me that it wouldn`t go straight at all.

All the guests were like OMG, where did you get that!!!

All show, no go...

I personally cannot understand those SUV:s. What possible use you would have to a car that`s ment to go offroad, but cannot. We call those here "lähiötankki", or a suburban tank...

Quick Reply: Worst Production Car EVER!