Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Will bike run good without an exhaust?

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 02:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Will bike run good without a can?

ORIGINAL: Shadow1

All engines are designed to run with a certain amount of back pressure - the trick is to get the pipe to the point where it goes blue, then cut it off 1/2 inch before the bluing (or is it after) - problem on a bike is, you'd need a looong pipe that would stick out way behind the rear fender.
GP bikes don't use silencers, and run at 130 odd decibels, but they have specially designed systems.
You'll burn valves, insufficient back pressure. - I wouldn't do it - rather find a cheap can built for a bike of your bike's cc, and fit that - much cheaper, and may give you the sound you want, without endangering your engine.My 2c worth
ya, what he said

Old 05-03-2008, 03:38 PM

WOW just took the can off and OMG!!! I wasn't expecting it to be that loud! It sounds like a freakin motogp bike now! I let it idle for a minute and then reved it and almost popped my damn eardrum lol! Hmm... it may be too loud for the street. And probably way too loud for my 25 mile commute to work. Damn I need a slip-on. I hate money, why do we need money for things. Ugh!

Old 05-04-2008, 06:19 PM

Went for a quick 5 minute ride with the can off. I had to see how it sounded while riding. We get alot of Harley riders riding past the house in my neighborhood. Well I asked my girlfriend how loud it was and she said it was "WAY louder than those Harley riders". Hmm.... Too loud then I suppose. Sounded great in my helmet with earplugs in.

Old 05-04-2008, 09:28 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: SpiritRR

Hell, I saved 14 pounds by ditching the entire exhaust. I mean, yeah, it's a little loud...185dB, and my exhaust valve timing is way off, but I duct-taped some chicken wire onto the open ports to keep the sugar gliders out, and now it only stutters most of the time. Then all I had to do was put tin foil around the front wheel, the forks, the fender, the upper cowl, and the radiator (whew, hot!), so the fumes won't turn them all black. I swear, mufflers and especially header pipes are just another way for big corporations to keep the little guy down. Live free or die!
LMAO

Old 05-04-2008, 09:28 PM
Banned
Default RE: Will bike run good without an exhaust?

EDIT - Sorry, double posted...please delete

Old 05-05-2008, 05:28 AM
Banned

just drill some holes in the mid pipe of your stock one
This is a proven technique...

j/k

it reminds me of how they used to drill holes into the heads of crazy people to let the demons out.

a4-just get a little racing nub muffler to attach to your collector, it will be small and still too loud, but it may give you a little backpressure.There is an KZ750 running around here with that setup and it may be what you are looking for:

Something like this may be just stupid enough to work. It is for a twostroke, but....

http://www.jcwhitney.com/2-CYCLE-MOT...4675_10111.jcw

Old 05-05-2008, 11:25 PM

ORIGINAL: A4wheelin

WOW just took the can off and OMG!!! I wasn't expecting it to be that loud! It sounds like a freakin motogp bike now! I let it idle for a minute and then reved it and almost popped my damn eardrum lol! Hmm... it may be too loud for the street. And probably way too loud for my 25 mile commute to work. Damn I need a slip-on. I hate money, why do we need money for things. Ugh!
becaause were not comunist bastards

Old 05-06-2008, 05:24 PM

Guy that had my bike did that and flames shot out the back (no muffler just full two brothers minus the can)

Old 05-06-2008, 06:07 PM

Imma have to "object" to the "burn valves." If that were the case then why do they make the sidewinder exhaust for the busas/zx-14s? also voodoo pipes (you can check them out just google it). With that in mind those companies wouldnt design pipes to damage your engine or atleast i hope they wouldnt (seems as if they are still in business......weird???!!). I can agree with a slight back pressure lose because im running slash cut tips with no baffles pretty much straight pipes. IMO the loss of back pressure is very unnoticed and within a few days of riding you will adjust and forget about it. Maybe i should add to my siggy "Do what you wanna do, not what other people think you should do. Be different. But dont damage anything in the process" i seem to use that quite a bit. I know people that have had no exhaust slip ons for years and have never had valve problems.

Old 05-06-2008, 08:11 PM

ORIGINAL: pimpncbr954s

Imma have to "object" to the "burn valves." If that were the case then why do they make the sidewinder exhaust for the busas/zx-14s? also voodoo pipes (you can check them out just google it). With that in mind those companies wouldnt design pipes to damage your engine or atleast i hope they wouldnt (seems as if they are still in business......weird???!!). I can agree with a slight back pressure lose because im running slash cut tips with no baffles pretty much straight pipes. IMO the loss of back pressure is very unnoticed and within a few days of riding you will adjust and forget about it. Maybe i should add to my siggy "Do what you wanna do, not what other people think you should do. Be different. But dont damage anything in the process" i seem to use that quite a bit. I know people that have had no exhaust slip ons for years and have never had valve problems.
Thanks for the support, I thought I was alone here.

Quick Reply: Will bike run good without an exhaust?