Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

will 2 sport bikes fit in ram 1500 bed?

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 10:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will 2 sport bikes fit in ram 1500 bed?

Hey All,

I have a dodge ram 1500 reg. cab long bed (see siggy for pic) and I ride a lot with one of my buddies from work - we plan on taking a few REAL long trips this spring / summer, and I was wondering if you all know if two sport bikes would fit in the bed of the truck? I don't have the exact dimentions off hand but figured i'd ask. fyi the other bike is a gixxer 650 (and mine is the f4i) if anybody has pix of two bikes in one truck bed that would be awesome!

thx!

Old 01-27-2008, 10:56 PM
RCR
Default RE: will 2 sport bikes fit in ram 1500 bed?

We put two in my F-150 6' bed. a 94 fzr 1000 and 01 929. They were two wide facing the same direction so one went forward and the other backwards and we had to lift the rear tire over the wheel well. Tight but do able.

I think the F-150 is not as wide as the dodge beds.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:57 PM

Yes. Just be creative.

Old 01-27-2008, 10:58 PM

You plan on steal.....*cough*, I mean taking some bikes on a trip?

Old 01-27-2008, 11:10 PM

ORIGINAL: rangerscott

You plan on steal.....*cough*, I mean taking some bikes on a trip?
yeah... that reminds me, how do you start a bike with the ignition taken out - i lost my keys.... :-p disregard post count, this is actually my first and only post on this forum.

seriously tho, i'm one of those "if i saw anybody even touching a bike that isn't theirs i'd go ape s#1t on them" type of guys, don't know what i'd do if i caught dudes stealing.

thx for the responses so far, I'll post some pics up this spring once we go for a trip

Old 01-28-2008, 03:27 AM
Retired Moderator
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You sure can.

You would park one facing forward, one facing the rear. Use Canyon Dancer's along with ratchet-style tie-downs to secure everything down. If the bikes still have their rear-passenger pegs, hook 2 more ratchet tie downs onto those to make sure the bikes are properly secured. We drove over 4000 miles to California and back like this, and it worked like a charm. (though, it's a bit tricky getting the rearward facing bike up the ramp............help from friends is a must.)

Old 01-28-2008, 07:57 AM

i think you probably could do it....we used to fit 3 honda XR dirtbikes in the back of my dad's truck.....granted one was a XR200, a XR100, and a XR70, but its still doable.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:08 AM

ORIGINAL: Blue Fox

You sure can.

You would park one facing forward, one facing the rear. Use Canyon Dancer's along with ratchet-style tie-downs to secure everything down. If the bikes still have their rear-passenger pegs, hook 2 more ratchet tie downs onto those to make sure the bikes are properly secured. We drove over 4000 miles to California and back like this, and it worked like a charm. (though, it's a bit tricky getting the rearward facing bike up the ramp............help from friends is a must.)
Interesting - we both have sport chocks so it would be a bit trickey to get the rear-facing bike securly into the chock but we are two relatively creative (and I personally like to think intelligent) guys so I'm sure we'll figure something out. Maybe I'll try a test fit next weekend...

Old 01-28-2008, 08:08 AM

They will fit, but it might be a bit tight. Just make sure they are not touching and that you don't crank the forks down to much. You want the bikes to be straped tight, but not to the point the fork seals are blown.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:35 AM

ORIGINAL: Bumble Bee

They will fit, but it might be a bit tight. Just make sure they are not touching and that you don't crank the forks down to much. You want the bikes to be straped tight, but not to the point the fork seals are blown.
I don't think that will be a problem with the sport chock, most of the pressure is actually applied forward and not much pressure down... according to baxley, with the sport chock firmly in place there is no need to compress the forks at all. What I am hoping for is to put both bikes in foward, into their own sport chocks, then using my ratcheting tiedowns connect the rear left peg of my bike to the front driver side hook in the bed, then connect the two bikes together via a ratcheting tie down between the right rear peg on my bike and the left rear peg on my buddies bike (this is assuming they line up nicely) and then finish up the job by tieing down his right side rear peg to the front right hook in the bed. I would basically be making a U shape with tie downs - I'm not sure if it would logistically work but I think in theory it does.

Quick Reply: will 2 sport bikes fit in ram 1500 bed?