Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Why do we wreck so much

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 07:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Why do we wreck so much

5 wrecks

1.) my own fault based on the report filed, rear ended a car, dummy stopped right as soon as the light turned yellow
2.) lowsided at the track, my fault again, street tires in the rain, stupid i know, but i didn't have $$ for rain tires
3.) guy wrecked me out at the track, nothin i could do
4.) low sided cause i didn't check the tire pressure (again at the track)
5.) ran a turn wide into the grass cause my arms were to tired from fighten the bike, learned from my mistake, changed my form, less stress on the arms (again at the track)

so to sum it up:
4 wrecks my fault
1 wreck not my fault
1 wreck in the street
4 wrecks on the track

my calculus I/II teacher said to me when i told her i was gettin a motorcycle: "Will, theres two types of motorcycle riders in this world, ones that have been down, and ones that are goin down"

and for 3 years I wondered if i was gonna be the special case that her prediction didn't happen too or when i was gonna actually go down, so TechTrix, I hope you never ever go down as well as anybody else, but my teacher was right in my case

Old 10-24-2008, 07:07 PM

A lot of people on here have never taking a riding course. So they don't learn any riding skills just pick up bad habits as they go. (I've wrecked and I've been through a lot of classes) There are so many factors that go into a crash. It has two wheels goes fast, its bound to crash. Cars have a hard time spotting bikes, you should never ride in a cars blind spot. I never ride next to a car unless there is no where else to go (heavy traffic). The best way to prevent a crash is to be in the best position to swerve and brake. When i got hit by a car door I was riding in the right side of the lane and dude opened his door on me. No where to go there. Yet if I had been on the left side of the lane it would have never happened. You get complacent

Old 10-24-2008, 07:16 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I bet you that cruisers are involved in more multiple vehicle accidents (imfamous left turn cager) where sport bikes might be more involved in single vehicle accidents (running off the road). Like some of you were saying earlier, majority of them are probably rider error[&o] .

Old 10-24-2008, 08:19 PM

I ride recklessly, dont know why others cant come out and say it. [sm=smiley24.gif]

Old 10-24-2008, 08:19 PM

ORIGINAL: TechTrix

I don't know what you mean by "we"

I haven't crashed...nor do I plan on it. (but who does)
WOW, pretty cocky huh? It has always been said its not IF you fall, but WHEN you fall. I havent fallen YET either, and dont plan to, but like you said who does. Just dont jinx yourself bro..

Old 10-24-2008, 08:28 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

*jinx* is for kids. I ride safe.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:30 PM

I think a lot of wrecks are because we start getting too comfortable on them and forget that we need to respect them. Also, when we get comfortable, we tend to loose what defensiveness we had.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:06 PM

Hmm I wouldn't say cocky at all. I normally ride within my ability. And I don't believe in jinxing myself either. Accidents can almost always be avoided though good riding skills. Usually its just a lapse in concentration or good judgment that causes a crash.

I also live in a pretty small town where there is pretty casual traffic. So I can't speak for you big city guys.

Old 10-24-2008, 09:49 PM

You know what? I'm just glad that we come back after our crashes and still be able to post about it.

Old 10-24-2008, 10:43 PM

ORIGINAL: doogstar

ORIGINAL: TK954RR

I would say (at least on this forum) that more like 75% crashed under our own faults.
I would agree. Also, I think its the fact that our bikes are a lot less forgiving than anything. One simple mishap, and your down. Very hard to accurately correct a mistake without overcorrecting and falling/losing control.
I hear that, my front wheel slid maybe 3-4 inches and I knew it wasn't going to be a happy ending.

you don't lean like that on a cruiser
you don't lose it when you skid like that in a car

the majority of active members on here enjoy riding, be it in packs or by themselves and as such it's only predictable that the more you ride the likelihood of a crash is elevated. Look at some of the mileage on the members bikes on here, jaynd has almost 8k miles on his bike and he's only had it for like 2 months!

ya ride and accept everything that goes with it, cold weather, probability of a crash, wet weather, maint. costs, etc. just a simple exchange for the rush, the enjoyment, practice, people you meet...

Quick Reply: Why do we wreck so much