Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Why can't I get rid of chicken strips on the front?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 05:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why can't I get rid of chicken strips on the front?

Sorry about all the tire threads recently, but I was looking at pictures of my bike I took awhile back and I noticed the front tire doesn't wear nearly as far to the edges as the back. I obviously have no trouble getting the bike down, but is there something I'm not doing to make the front edge not wear? Maybe I'm not taking curves correctly. Some track guru on here that can shed some light? Thanks

Also my brother doesn't have this problem, his front tireis nearly worn down as much as his rear tire. I don't see how I ride any different than him, in fact when we ride together I follow him and try to mirror his riding style, due to him having more experience on the road than myself
Name:  DSC01020.jpg
Views: 1172
Size:  151.9 KB

Old 05-27-2008, 06:13 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Why can't I get rid of chicken strips on the front?

Does your brother go any faster than you around corners? Everyone has their own style & achieve the same thing. My riding buddy moves over his bike like he has crabs, hanging off the bike & all sorts of weird things with bars, he manages to go to the edge of his tyres, I don't & we seem to arrive where ever were going at pretty much the same time. One his big moves is to throw the bugger to right to do a big cut manouver, deep corning to the left (& vice versa), so he his on the edge of his tyres doing it. He's always done it & it works for him (most of the time, he he)
Seriously, have someone help you, lean your bike over till the edge of the tye is covered, a see just have bloody close you really are to road (& what else touches the ground) If your happy with the way you ride, just ride that way.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:00 AM

you are not going to scrub much more off the front edge, its not your riding, its your geometry of the bike/tire combo.

I am not sure if I have ever seen an '07 with the front scrubbed edge to edge, even with the back tire completely eaten off at the very edge. even at trackdays. some may have, but I dont remember which, and if so, I would like to know what tire they are running.

tire profile is also a huge factor in the edge wear of tires. you can take a set of pilots on most bikes and wear them edge to edge on both the front and rear tire, but if you put a set of DCIII(my favorite) on there, you can get all the way over on the back, but there will always be a quater inch or so that will not be touched up front. its just the profile of the tire.

all this is based on track use, as I would never lean a bike that far on the street

Old 05-27-2008, 09:19 AM

As Krash said... tire profile and the bike'sgeometeryhave a huge factor in this. From what I see in your picture you are doing fine. If you do want to use more front tire, you might want to think about setting your suspension to your weight and sitting even more further forward on the bike.

As far as I know, I don't believe I have ever used the whole front tire up while riding on the streets. In a parking lot yes...lol

Leftside Front Tire:
Name:  Picture060.jpg
Views: 1375
Size:  136.2 KB
Leftside Rear Tire:
Name:  Picture058.jpg
Views: 1387
Size:  304.6 KB

Old 05-28-2008, 12:52 AM

Hey thanks guys, I really appreciate the feedback. Perhaps it is just the geometry of the bike, I don't know. I guess I shouldn't really be worried about it since I enjoy my riding style. I want to go to the track in WV this year if at all possible, so I'm sure I'll learn more while there. Anyhow, I learned what I want to know, thanks. /thread

Old 05-28-2008, 01:32 AM

question: are both your tires the same make and model? or do you have two different types? Don't some tires offer more lean angle then others? For example: The Michelin Pilot Power 2CT has a lean angle of 51.2 Degrees. The Normal Pilot Powers have a lean angle of 50.6 degrees.

Would that matter?

Old 05-28-2008, 01:46 AM

It probably would matter, I see what you mean. But mine are stock as far as I know. I bought the bike with 764 miles on it, if you'll look at the mileage thread. Not sure what lean angle the stock ones have. I almost can't wait for them to wear out so I can get the 2CT's and see if they'reas good as people say they are

Old 05-28-2008, 07:38 AM

This is odd as I have wear all the way to the edge on the front, but at least half an inch unused on the back. Both are the same brand, stock sizes,and inflated to factory recommended psi. Only thing I can think of is what someone else said in that the front is getting more weight tossed on it as the springs I have in the front are a bit too weak for my weight and I normally try to lean forward when I turn as it feels like it handles much better through the corner.

Old 05-28-2008, 08:25 AM

I'm going out tonight with my brother, I'll definitely try leaning forward more and see what happens. Only thing I can think of is I'm not countersteering enough to make the front tire grip at the edge. Who knows. I'm very light though,and my springs I think are stock if that helps.