Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

When a friend goes down...

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2011, 01:17 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default When a friend goes down...

This question is posed to those who have had a friend sustain serious injury or death in a motorcycle accident.

Did/do you consider selling off your bike and gear and getting out of riding?

I went to meet a guy to ride some local twisties this weekend... when I got off the exit where we were to meet, I saw the accident. He was struck by a car on the way to meet up; he was wearing full gear (2-pc leathers, helmet, gloves, boots) so he only sustained minor cuts/scrapes/bruised, but the impact broke several vertabrae and put him in intensive care.

I've heard about so many motorcycle accidents and they all sink in, but none have seemed to shake me like this one. I have had serious thoughts of selling my bike and gear, but my wife is telling me not to because I love riding and I love my F4i.

She says this feeling will go away and I will just end up regretting selling and that I'll just end up buying another bike/more gear/etc.

Last edited by nowensby; 04-18-2011 at 01:21 PM.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The 4th weekend out on my first bike (Ninja 500) I went on a ride with a more experienced rider on another Ninja 500. About half way through the ride he was hauling ***, lost traction in a corner, lowsided, went down into a ditch, the bike turned into shrapnel, he bounced, hit a tree, fell to the ground, then got hit by what was left of the bike.

After the ambulance came and picked him up I had to have a friend with a truck come pick up the pieces of his bike, as well as stick my bike in the back. He dropped my bike off at my place and it sat for a month before I even looked at it again.

I sat for a long time looking at the bike, and trying to decide if it was worth it, or if I should just let it go. Eventually I decided that it was worth the risk, but I'd do my best to mediate the danger as much as possible. Full gear, all the time. Not riding beyond my ability, and spending a lot more time practicing before I went back out on high speed runs.

My buddy got lucky, and lived. He ended up with 6 broken ribs, broken hip, broken arm, broken collar bone, broken ankle, and a couple broken fingers.

Sooner or later, everyone has to make the choice if riding is worth it to them. It may be watching a friend's accident, or having one of your own, but sooner or later you will have to make the choice.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:48 PM
August 2011 ROTM

I don't have anybody I know that were seriously injured. I only had very minor accident. The one accident in the news that really effected me was a 22 year old girl who was riding with her husband's military riding group, lost control around the turn and lowsided and was hit by her husband's friend riding behind her. She was pronouced dead at the scene. I was little scared to ride after hearing that news for couple of weeks. For me, I think it's because she was a girl, not a guy.

After mine, I watch more carefully and ride with much caution when passing cars, side street. If I ever crash again, I know it would be because of my skill level. So I try to be humble while trying to push my limit here and there.

My R6 neighbor was telling me yesterday he was saving up to get R1, but thinking about giving up because he has no medical insurance.

Old 04-18-2011, 02:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

FWIW: Most medical insurance companies don't cover injuries related to auto accidents... And if they cover it and find out it was an auto accident, they come after you to get their monies back.

Old 04-18-2011, 07:29 PM

Well said Hangfire! +10

Old 04-18-2011, 07:52 PM
August 2011 ROTM

Originally Posted by sloppymcjiggles
well said hangfire! +10
+100

Old 04-18-2011, 08:57 PM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

*NOT FOR THE FAINT OF HEART*

In Toronto, Ontario August of last season Some idiot with a girl on the back of his bike got in a highspeed pursuit on the highway and the cops backed but he didn't and he ended up dumping her off the back and she was dismembered when she fell off doing around 200km/hr.
There were body parts scattered all over the highway and witnesses were saying they couldn't avoid then and had to run over arms and legs.

And he fled the scene and left her there.

Hwy. 401 accident haunting: Veteran motorcyclists | Canada | News | Toronto Sun

My wife will not drive on the highway with me since then.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:21 PM

your wife is special. fking smart woman.

Old 04-18-2011, 09:28 PM

I've been considering selling my bike ever since my younger bro died last year (not from riding), it was an accident. It hit everyone hard in the family, especially my parents. My parents are changed since then (Mom more so, it seems) now when I ride it's hard not to think about them and what they would do if I was hurt or worse. I have to say I ride fast....it really weighs on me when I ride

I have two little girls, I don't live in fear , but I think about my girls without a father because lets face it you can be the best rider and still get smoked! Thinking about it all day today because someone in town died today and the girl on the back is in critical condition. Ride safe everyone!

Quick Reply: When a friend goes down...