Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

Wheelie Public Service Announcement

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 11:55 PM
Jan 2009 ROTM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheelie Public Service Announcement

This will probably get tossed or deleted but i feel like ranting so........Its been raining for bout 5 days and finally got a break to get out and ride called a bud and off we went. Bout 20 min into the ride we catch the last red where we hit our county roads, he says check this, got some advice from the net. Now the story here is that he has been trying to wheelie for the last month or so, i have been trying to show him some things but he just wasnt getting it. He has been riding for 4 years or so, and has had his current bike for 2 years (06 busa). He is a good rider, and usually cautious. The last we had talked after a ride he was gonna leave the wheelie alone, i think we both understood he just didnt have it in him. So back to the light, i am a bit worried but the light turns green and off he goes, i tried to catch him and give him a thumbs down but i was too slow. Next thing i see is at about 50 mph his bike screams up, slams down, and over he goes. He hit a guard rail, he is still alive, but i was told he may never walk again. So after sitting in the hospital for 6 hours with his wife and 3 kids, here are a few thoughts i have on this particular topic. This stems from a lot of posts i have seen here in the stunt forum and on a few other sites, If you have to come to a forum to ask for wheelie help, you probably have 1 of 2 problems.

1.You have not ridden your particular bike nearly long enough to know what it can do, or have not ridden nearly long enough period.

2. You just flat out dont have the skill set to be riding wheelies or any other trick for that matter. I know thats harsh, but thats reality. I really hate to say it but i honestly believe most people fall into this catagory. Riding a wheelie, contrary to popluar belief does take skill, hand eye coordnation, and the ability to make a reaction in a millisecond to any changing conditions. Its like many other things in life, especially sports, either you are good at it, or you aren't.

So, before you go to the stunt forum and post up " i get going 20 mph, rev it to the limiter, and dump the clutch, why isnt my bike coming up?" ask yourself are you #1 or #2. Please do this before you get hurt or even worse. I know its the cool thing to be able to do, but doin a wheelie past that car full of women isnt gonna get you laid anyhow, you can do that all on your own if you know what your doing.

For what its worth, my friend was wearing full gear head to toe as always, please pray for him tonite.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:16 AM
Default RE: Wheelie Public Service Announcement

Sorry to hear that man. Every body has a stupid moment. Just sometimes it turns from ok to crap in a second.

Old 08-23-2007, 12:17 AM

I really don't like posting in topics like this but hopfully doctors are wrong and he has the will to walk again.
Best of luck for him.
Not to take the spotlight away from your buddy, i was talking to my buddy yesterday and he been trying to learn wheelies. what he heard from a coworker of his, i thought it was the stupiest thing i have ever heard from this guy. " If you ride by a car full with girls and they ask you to wheelies or motion to do one ,you don't want to look like a loser "

Old 08-23-2007, 06:28 AM
Banned

1.You have not ridden your particular bike nearly long enough to know what it can do, or have not ridden nearly long enough period.

2. You just flat out dont have the skill set to be riding wheelies or any other trick for that matter.
I agree, as Clint Eastwood said ' A man's got to know his limitations'.

Don't feel guilty about it TK, he has 4 years under his belt, long enough to know what he was trying to do. I hope he gets better.

Old 08-23-2007, 06:30 AM

Sad story there.

For anyone ever wanting to do a wheelie I would ask,"Can you do one on a bicycle?"

If they say no, I'd tell'm to go practice on a bicycle.

For the car full of chics, I'd be like, a wheelie? sure after I ride y'alls.

Hope your friend get well.

Old 08-23-2007, 06:43 AM

Sorry to hear that. Everyone has a different limit and adapts to things at different speeds.

I agree with you though, if someone asks how to wheelie, they obviously don't need to learn how yet.

Old 08-23-2007, 06:53 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm a wimp, I keep both wheels on the ground. Sorry to hear about the accident.

Old 08-23-2007, 06:54 AM

They're not toys...well, they kinda are, but you have to respect them. I've had the front come up on the 1000RR a few times during hard acceleration, and will have to say that I don't care much for the feeling of "floating". Therefore, I know I don't like it, and don't try them on purpose. Accident waiting to happen.
Hope your friend gets all healed up soon and that he can learn from this mistake.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:18 AM

sorry to hear that man...it really sucks that that happened. it sounds like he had too much bike for him to manage, another accident that could have easily been avoided. But there was nothing you can do. he wanted that bike, he wanted to wheelie, there was no stopping him.

again, sorry to hear it man, i hope he is allright. our prayers are with him and his family.

Old 08-23-2007, 07:32 AM

ORIGINAL: Kikn

For the car full of chics, I'd be like, a wheelie? sure after I ride y'alls.
LMAO, that's one of the funniest things I've heard, I promise to say that next time something like that happens to me.

I'm sorry to hear about that guy, I'd be lying if I said I've never tried to pull anything stupid like that. Hope he gets well.

And by the way, I don't know why I had the idea that 'busas where impossible to wheelie or stoppie... I'll have to search for a video or something.

Quick Reply: Wheelie Public Service Announcement